Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Sun 07-Oct-12 05:35 PM

I'm aware Nikon makes one, but that there are also a number of other options. I'd appreciate feedback on the best one for D7000 and D 800. Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting in D 7000 and D 800 forums.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

neil_jo

Brampton, CA
1441 posts

#1. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 0

neil_jo Registered since 04th Aug 2007
Sun 07-Oct-12 04:37 PM

That's funny I've been looking at these all morning and there are a few models to choose from other that the Nikon GP-1, though not all are compatible with the D800 yet. Plus I read a few negative reviews on the GP-1 but then reviews aren't always that accurate.

I think for my money I will go with one of those hand held units like a Garmin or Magellan, which could double for cycling and hiking.

http://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/14
http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/
http://opteka.com/gpn1.aspx
http://www.aokatec.com/Product%20Adapter.html
http://www.canadagps.com/ColumbusNGPS.html

Regards

neil

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2318 posts

#2. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 1

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Sun 07-Oct-12 05:23 PM

I have one of the Garmin units, download the tracks and merge them with the pics. It's hard to say what is best without an understanding of how you want to use it. Mine also does double duty when hiking, etc.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

hbrail

Dearborn, US
140 posts

#3. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 0

hbrail Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Mar 2011
Sun 07-Oct-12 06:57 PM | edited Sun 07-Oct-12 07:40 PM by hbrail

Actually, the best accessory may be one you already own and carry with you. I've been using the $3.99 Geotag Photos Pro App, www.geotagphotos.net, with my iPhone for several months now with great results. There is also a version for Android phones. (Yes, that three dollars and ninety-nine cents.)

It's real easy to use: (1) sync camera time with iPhone, (2) start a trip log and establish an interval for the updates. You can vary the update interval depending on the the distance you expect to cover for the time of the trip. More frequent updates equals more battery drain, less frequent gives you longer cell phone battery life. When the shoot is over, upload the trip log to the Geotag site, then tag your photos using the Geotag application before importing into your post processing software. I use it with Lightroom 4.
As long as your cell phone has a signal it works perfectly. It is not be a solution for remote areas without cell towers, but I have yet to experience a loss of signal. The only downside I have experienced is some degree of cell phone battery drain for long trips and frequent interval updates. For instance, I used it on my iPhone 4s in San Francisco for an all day shoot in San Francisco, walking and bike rental, with 2 minute interval updates. My trip log went from approximately 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and my cell battery went from 100% to about 30%. Most of my shoots for a few hours, hardly impact my cell battery.

The convenience of not having another device to either attach to the camera or carry around outweighs the disadvantages. For $3.99, it certainly worth a try.

Herb

pyrpal

Portland, US
42 posts

#4. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 0

pyrpal Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2006
Sun 07-Oct-12 07:19 PM

Hi David,

I have been using a Dawn Tech di-GPS Pro for about 4 years on models such as the D200, D700, D3s, and now the D800E with no trouble. It has a 10 pin adapter on it as well. It can sit in the hotshoe or not if one needs the hotshoe for other things.

Tom
Puget Sound Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery

tooslo

UM
16 posts

#5. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 0

tooslo Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012
Mon 08-Oct-12 04:02 PM

I wouldn't say this is the best as it's the only one I've tried, but I haven't found much wrong with this one @ $40 USD via Amazon: Opteka GPN-1 Geotagging GPS & Remote Shutter Release

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D84SDO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

It has a nice feature where it provides a pass-though connection to your 10 pin port for a remote release cable since it ties that up to provide the GPS data. It comes with a release cable as well since it uses a different connector.

I have found it to be accurate and reliable and it's always on my D800.

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

#6. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 5

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Mon 08-Oct-12 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the well-considered responses. I just came back from Yellowstone I took 2000 pictures. I have a Garmin device that I also use when riding my bike. However, I found I was forgetting to turn it on. It's also inconvenient to pull it out for a short few photos by the side of the car, particularly when you round a curve and see a bison by the road. So I'm looking for something stand alone. Plus the entire area of the Park near Yellowstone lake lodge where we stayed has absolutely no cell phone service. I will say The Garmin does work great when you are hiking . I would carry it anyway, even if I get a camera GPS.

dgs

supergimp

Los Angeles, US
89 posts

#7. "RE: Best GPS Accessory for Geotagging Photos" | In response to Reply # 6

supergimp Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2008
Tue 09-Oct-12 07:51 PM

I used to be addicted to Geotagging and spent a lot of time beta testing and pushing Houdah when their plugin was the thing to use. I've had at least three or four different methods, from a hand held GeoTracking device to sync later, to an iPhone GeoTracking app, to the Promote GPS device.

When I got the D800E, the Promote didn't work any longer, and I also didn't like using the only remote option for GPS (the Promote doesn't have a remote port like some others). I was on my way to Grand Tetons and broke down and bought the Nikon unit. The only drag is that I have to have two remote releases, as the GPS occupies the 10-pin (which I also have a remote release for when not using the GPS) and so I must use the remote for my D7000 wen the GPS is in use.

Other than that, the GP-1 is a little slow to start up first thing (although not worse than some I have tested) but seems to acquire quickly throughout the day if it hasn't been turned off too long (I habitually flip the camera off whenever I set it down or stop shooting).

It was not as cheap as some of the super-inexpensive units but not as expensive as some of the premium units when ordered from Amazon and at the end of my 2-week trip I have to say it performed admirably.

G