Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Fri 05-Oct-12 03:35 PM

I inserted a previously used 4GB Lexar Professional UDMA 300x CF card into my new D800E and reformatted it two times before I took my test photos. Strangely, the image numbers begin with " DSC_5750 ". Later I read in Hogan's D800 book a warning "DO NOT SWAP CF CARDS" from one camera to another because that can mess up the second camera's image numbering system.

How do I view the TRUE image number? The free version of OPanda wants me to buy OPanda Pro to view the D800E exif data.

I do not seriously believe that Amazon shipped me a presumably-just-arrived-from-Japan brand new D800E s/n 3007xxx with 5500 clicks. Gotta be a better explanation.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
D800E * D700 * SB800
Nikkors: *14-24 * 70-200 VRII * 50 f/1.8 * PC-E 85 * 28-300 VRII
Tamron: * 90mm Macro *

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#1. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Fri 05-Oct-12 02:25 PM

I use PhotoME on my PC at home. Honestly, though, other than occassionally checking, I think the whole shutter count thing is a bit silly. I didn't care when I was shooting film and I don't really care shooting digital. But that's just me.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4131 posts

#2. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 05-Oct-12 02:48 PM

If you formatted the card before use the image number would pick up where it left off from the previous use. For a new camera this should start at 0001. Believe it or not, Amazon must have shipped you a previously used camera. Also if you had a new camera you would be prompted to set the timezone before use.

The swapping cards warning only applies to cards with images already on them. If you formatted the card, it's history shouldn't matter.

Note that if you check the EXIF, the count could be higher than the frame number. Things like LiveView, multiple exposure, in camera HDR, and opening the shutter for sensor cleaning all generate extra shutter cycles without producing images.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#3. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Fri 05-Oct-12 11:24 PM

The number put into the file name is just a number used for simple file naming. The camera can reset it back to 1 as can you.

The number of shutter activations is a completely separate number stored in the camera and written to the EXIF data inside the files. (There is no "true image number" since the shutter can be activated for many reasons without creating an image.)

Many EXIF viewers will show you the shutter count from an unedited picture. It will be near the bottom of the "maker notes" section, which many editors will discard when editing the file.

Or you can upload an unedited picture to http://myshuttercount.com/

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#4. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 05-Oct-12 11:56 PM | edited Fri 05-Oct-12 11:58 PM by Gator Bob

>The number put into the file name is just a number used for
>simple file naming. The camera can reset it back to 1 as can
>you. ... you can upload an unedited picture to
>http://myshuttercount.com/
>
>---------+---------+---------+---------+
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA

Thank for your ACCURATE, CORRECT assessment. www.myshuttercount.com reports my last two D800E images are numbers 42 and 43, which is correct for my preliminary test shots right out of the box.

It's also my bad -- not Amazon's or Nikon's -- for the initialization. I obviously rushed through it and did not observe the process very carefully.

D800E * D700 * SB800
Nikkors: *14-24 * 70-200 VRII * 50 f/1.8 * PC-E 85 * 28-300 VRII

MEMcD

US
31608 posts

#5. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 06-Oct-12 05:47 AM

Hi Bob,

Opanda IExif 2.3 is able to read the number of shutter actuations on my D800E. Did you check a jpeg file created in the camera?
Good uck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#6. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 06-Oct-12 07:44 AM

No, i checked a NEF file.
Thanks for the info for future use.

*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS TVC-24L
Nikkors: *14-24 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300

MEMcD

US
31608 posts

#7. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 6

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 06-Oct-12 02:28 PM

Hi Bob,

I was thinking that.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#8. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 07-Oct-12 01:14 PM

>The number put into the file name is just a number used for simple file naming. The camera >can reset it back to 1 as can you.
>Joseph K
>Seattle, WA, USA

I can find file-naming in the menu but cannot find a menu to reset the DSC number back to DSC_00xx (For simplicity, I'd like to match the actual exposure number.)

Can you tell me?

Thank you.

*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS TVC-24L
Nikkors: *14-24 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#9. "RE: MESSED UP D800E IMAGE NUMBERING?" | In response to Reply # 8

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 07-Oct-12 03:31 PM

The only number you can set it to manually in 0001. Custom Settings d5-Reset.

Trying to depend on the camera's numbering will probably not get you to where you are trying to go, whatever that is. To get around duplicate file names, I use a third-party downloader (BreezeSys.com) to rename the files as yyyymmdd_nnnn based on the EXIF date taken and the running number count where I reset the count back to 1 at the start of every event.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

G