Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the amount of USM in PS sufficient still?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Mon 01-Oct-12 06:26 PM

Another real-world question for D800 users, but this one is about post processing.

Now that you have a D800, how do you feel about the amount slider in Photoshop for the unsharp mask tool? Is 500% still enough, or would you like to see the limit increased in a future version of Adobe PS?

Poll result (0 votes)
Yes, 500% has been enough in every case.
(0 votes)Vote
No. I've had instances with D800 files where I've needed more than 500%.
(0 votes)Vote

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#1. "RE: Is the amount of USM in PS sufficient still?" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Mon 01-Oct-12 07:20 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 07:23 PM by klrbee25

First, the threshold value doesn't even make sense to me. 500% of what? Stupid measure if you ask me.

Second, the radius adjustment can very quickly increase the amount of perceived sharpening. If your radius is set to a tiny number (say 0.3), then 500% may not be enough on any image from any camera. Bump the radius up to 3 and then 500% is hideous looking. I recall reading somewhere long ago that a radius of ~1.8 was a good starting point for a 12MP image. But it's not a linear response, so 5.4 doesn't look to good on the D800 images if I recall.

I'd argue that if you find 500% to be insufficient, you're not using an appropriate radius value. Or you just need to rerun the sharpening algorithm a second or third time since the results cumulative. Some photographers have very elaborate sharpening approaches that use multiple passes with differing settings rather than a one-stop-shop approach that most people apply.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

emi_fiend

Poway, US
301 posts

#2. "RE: Is the amount of USM in PS sufficient still?" | In response to Reply # 0

emi_fiend Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 28th Jan 2006
Mon 01-Oct-12 08:56 PM

Consider using a 2-step sharpening process to get the maximum resolution (first do modest sharpening followed by sharpening the sharpened image). On the web you can find people recommending this. Jason Odell uses Capture NX2 and recommends a 2-step process, the first one using High-Pass sharpening, the second one using USM.

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/06/29/get-sharp-with-the-nikon-d800/#more-2399

Jim

a San Diego Nikonian

G