Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sgiacoman

US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sgiacoman Registered since 18th Sep 2012
Tue 18-Sep-12 05:24 PM

I am new to this site and just recently received my D800. I am coming from a D90 and usually shot using manual exposure. When I take photos under similar lighting (as with D90-indoors or out) I notice I am having to decrease my shutter speeds or increase my ISO settings in order to get a correct exposures. using a 50/1.8mm on both with the same aperture settings. I am by far no professional..but knew my D90 pretty well and was consistently happy with the photos when shooting manually. I am having a much harder time with the D800.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#1. "RE: Exposure with D800" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Tue 18-Sep-12 03:34 PM

What metering modes are you using??? I would guess if using spot metering, both should be close to the same. If using metrix metering, the the D800 is metering for a larger field of view and may need higher iso's and/or slower shutter speeds...

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bkinthebay

bkinthebay, BE
409 posts

#2. "RE: Exposure with D800" | In response to Reply # 0

bkinthebay Registered since 27th Feb 2010
Tue 18-Sep-12 03:36 PM

Could you post a sample picture taken with the two cameras under identical light settings and include the iso, aperture and speed parameters for both?

Bernard.

sgiacoman

US
6 posts

#3. "RE: Exposure with D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 18-Sep-12 04:36 PM

I sold my D90 soon after getting my D800 so I really don't have side by side comparisons. It just seems that on the D90 I could get the correct exposure at higher shutters and lower ISO..not scientific at all I know. I have been using both spot and Matrix metering. Exposure compensation is at 0.

sgiacoman

US
6 posts

#4. "RE: Exposure with D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 18-Sep-12 04:38 PM

I use both depending on the subject...good point about matrix..will see how that affects it compared to spot..I did use spot primarily on my D90. thanks!

G