Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Sal57

CA
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sal57 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2012
Sun 09-Sep-12 02:39 AM

Hello - I just bought a D800 a couple weeks ago, awesome camera no focus issues however It freezes up once in awhile when I am in playback mode zooming in an image. It just stops can't zoom in or out. Anyone else experience this??

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 09-Sep-12 12:51 AM

Check your firmware version (at the bottom of the Setup menu). If it's not A: 1.00, B: 1.01 you should update it. The non-updated firmware has some playback freeze up problems.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Sal57

CA
18 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 1

Sal57 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2012
Sun 09-Sep-12 01:35 AM

>Check your firmware version (at the bottom of the Setup
>menu). If it's not A: 1.00, B: 1.01 you should update it.
>The non-updated firmware has some playback freeze up
>problems.

Thank you for your reply I checked firmware is up to date. If it continues to act up I will send it in to Nikon.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 2

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Mon 10-Sep-12 02:56 AM

Have you tried a different memory card??? May have one that isn't agreeing with the D800....

Chris

Curtisj2

Minneapolis, US
222 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 0

Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 10-Sep-12 12:08 PM | edited Mon 10-Sep-12 12:10 PM by Curtisj2

If you are zooming in immediately after taking the picture, it may be that your image has not yet completed writing to the card from the camera's buffer.

tuss234

Middlesbrough, UK
2 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 4

tuss234 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2010
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:48 PM | edited Wed 26-Sep-12 02:51 PM by tuss234

I had a similar problem whilst using the D800 hand held. I was just lightly touching the flash button on the front of the camera with my finger, when reviewing shots, and everything froze.
Holding the camera in a different position cured this for me.

MichaelWise

CA
22 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 0

MichaelWise Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Fri 28-Sep-12 01:20 PM

My D800 has this problem. Both the Playback controls and the Menu lock up together. This happens more often in "liveview" than in "viewfinder" mode. All other controls operate normally during lock-up and I can continue taking, but not reviewing, pictures. Items that are normally accessible using the menu or dedicated controls, e.g. Quality and ISO, can only be set using the dedicated controls.

With the camera on a tripod, lock-up sometimes occurs as I try to run through my preset review options with the multi selector control. It occurs without my accidentally touching other controls.

Lock-up is unresponsive to turning the camera off and on, also to removal of the battery. It clears randomly after a few minutes or if the camera has been switched off for an extended period.

My firmware - A 1.00, B 1.01, L 1.004. My primary slot selection – SD card slot, with Lexar Professional 16GB SDHC 400x Speed card. My secondary slot function – Overflow, with Lexar Professional 16GB 400x UDMA card. Both cards are Nikon approved.

Nikon suggested that I try resetting the camera - the Green button, the Shooting menu reset and the Custom menu reset. This did not work. On their advice, I have now sent it to them.

nebosphere

Brooklyn, US
52 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 6

nebosphere Silver Member Nikonian since 24th May 2007
Mon 15-Oct-12 01:58 AM

Please keep us posted on this as I have the same problem. I'm also experiencing a minor version of the left focus point AF issue so I feel i should send it soon, but I don't have a lot of confidence in Nikon Repair in Melville. They recently botched a repair on my 17-35 2.8. I've had to send that in twice. I can't be without this camera for weeks and then find out it's not even fixed.

Thanks,
Ben

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 0

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Wed 17-Oct-12 03:03 PM

I have experienced this problem a couple of times. All firmware is up to date. Turning camera off and back on always cures the problem. I don't know what sequence of control inputs resulted in the problem as it occurs only infrequently. I'm taking a wait and see approach; hopefully it's a firmware issue, not a hardware problem.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

MichaelWise

CA
22 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 6

MichaelWise Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Sun 04-Nov-12 12:55 AM

This is a follow up on my September 28, 2012 post.
I received my camera back from Nikon Canada last week. The lock-up problem was not resolved. They commented on the repair form returned with the camera that it had been cleaned and checked, adding as a note "Multiselector Button was in lock position". No other information was provided.
I am wondering how they think this could be related to menu and playback lock-up. The Multi Selector does not have a lock position - the control surrounding the Multi Selector is the Focus Selector Lock and its position has no effect on the menu and playback controls. Lock-up has occurred with this control in both the locked and unlocked positions. Also, switching it on and of during lock-up has no effect.
The camera goes back to Nikon next week with a much more detailed description of the problem including the conditions under which lock-up occurs, how the controls behave during lock-up and the actions I have tried (both successful and unsuccessful) to clear a lock-up.
Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Any advise would be most welcome.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 8

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 04-Nov-12 12:25 PM

>I have experienced this problem a couple of times. All
>firmware is up to date. Turning camera off and back on always
>cures the problem. I don't know what sequence of control
>inputs resulted in the problem as it occurs only infrequently.
>I'm taking a wait and see approach; hopefully it's a firmware
>issue, not a hardware problem.

Same here. Very infrequent, after a shot or set of shots usually when chimping. Turning it off does solve it (though not instantly -- it takes a few seconds to turn off). Really kind of a non-issue at the rate it occurs.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

pbwimages

UK
2 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 10

pbwimages Registered since 06th Feb 2013
Wed 06-Feb-13 01:14 PM

Yep, I too have experience the intermittant freezing...Switching off/on solves it.

I sent my D800 to Nikon a week or so ago and I had a call from them earlier today to advise they cannot find anything wrong or are able to replicate the issue.

Always an issue when it's an 'Intermittant' fault...

They blamed it on the CF card, which is a Lexar Pro 400x, which is an approved card.

I have tried other cards but still get the same issue...

At some point maybe Nikon may admit there is an issue and release a firmware upgrade.....

If it gets more frequent then it will be going straight back to them!

If anyone else gets the issue diagnosed please share...

Many thanks,

Paul
UK

nebosphere

Brooklyn, US
52 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 11

nebosphere Silver Member Nikonian since 24th May 2007
Wed 06-Feb-13 04:35 PM

Anybody having this problem with the Nikon grip attached? It seems to happen to me most often that way.

pbwimages

UK
2 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 12

pbwimages Registered since 06th Feb 2013
Wed 06-Feb-13 04:48 PM

Nope, mines without the grip attached

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 0

avisys Basic Member
Wed 06-Feb-13 11:08 PM

(Having been in the software business for 50 years), this is really beginning to sound like classic software issues. Dozens of possible inputs at the same time, in the aggregate a nearly infinite number of combinations possible. Which combination kills the camera . . . sometimes??

Good luck, Nikon! You will need a hell of a lot of software talent, and time, and determination to dig these things out and fix them. And if you don't have the commitment, and won't provide the budget, well, they may never get fixed.

It appears that DSLRs are now computers to which huge sensors and camera bodies are attached as appendages.

It would be interesting to know how many million lines of code this camera has, and how many megabytes of executable.

AviSys

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
581 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Playback Freeze" | In response to Reply # 12

Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Fri 08-Feb-13 04:26 AM

I get the problem with and without the grip attached. As another commented, it's infrequent, and can be solved by turning the camera off and on. Mine also takes a few seconds to go off. It's annoying, but for me it just doesn't rise to the level of sending my D800 off to Nikon. That's especially true when the posts that I've read indicate that they probably don't have a fix anyway.

Good luck with it.

Mike

G