Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon extended warranty

alphaod

Shanghai, CN
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alphaod Registered since 23rd Nov 2008
Wed 05-Sep-12 03:20 AM

I see Nikon offers an extended warranty for two additional years (so 3 years total).

It's called the "Nikon 2-Year Extended Service Coverage" and it's priced at $190 (it's about $200 after taxes for me).

Is this like the standard warranty? As in it covers service and parts? Or is it just parts?

I've never purchased an extended warranty from Nikon before and my lenses all come with their own 5 year ESC warranty.

Just wondering if anyone purchased this or have an opinion whether it's worthwhile to get?

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Wed 05-Sep-12 02:38 AM

I got a 5 year camera warranty from Mack for $99 or so. It is transferrable and I feel it helps with resale value.

The Nikon warranty seems expensive.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Wed 05-Sep-12 12:40 PM

Since it an extension of the original one year warranty, it apparently covers both parts and labor. Keep in mind, Nikon warranties do not cover accidental damage or abuse, and they only apply to the original owner. They are not transferrable if you sell the camera.

I used to get extended warranties, primarily on household appliances. After spending a lot of money and never making use of an extended warranty, I stopped buying them years ago.

Rocky

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 0

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Wed 05-Sep-12 02:13 PM

If you paid for your camera using a major credit card, then check their terms. Many credit card companies offer free 2nd year warranty if you have charged the complete purchase of the item on their credit card.

MEMcD

US
31649 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 05-Sep-12 02:22 PM

Hi Ran,

As Rocky wrote above, the Two Year Extended Warranty will cover both parts and labor just like the original One Year Nikon Warranty. It will not cover accidental damage.

Nikkor lenses have a One Year International Warranty and Four Additional Years of extended Warranty coverage by Nikon USA (for lenses imported by Nikon USA).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dougstroudphoto

US
29 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 4

dougstroudphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Thu 06-Sep-12 09:42 AM

The issue now with purchasing an extended warranty through a second party from what I know now is that Nikon is no longer selling parts to these guys- so it has to go through them back to Nikon if it needs any parts. So I wonder how long these guys will continue selling warranties? Also- Nikon this is a real ####- I needed to replace a hotshoe on my SB-900 and now I cannot purchase the parts from anywhere- I have to send my flash in. Instead of a $60 repair and back up and running immediately, it will most likely cost me more than double, shipping expense, and 2 months of waiting!

MEMcD

US
31649 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 5

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 06-Sep-12 09:14 PM

Hi Doug,

The extended warranty the OP was referring to is sold by Nikon so the warranty work would be done at Nikon USA Service.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dougstroudphoto

US
29 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 6

dougstroudphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Fri 07-Sep-12 10:05 AM

>Hi Doug,
>
>The extended warranty the OP was referring to is sold by Nikon
>so the warranty work would be done at Nikon USA Service.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Hi Marty,

Yes- correct, but one of the other posters spoke about the Mack warranty and I was remarking about that one. I should have quoted that post.

However, I still think it is bullocks that Nikon has put all repair parts on lockdown- I hate this approach. It is the same type of mentality that Apple takes... There is backlash to this sort of complete control- we see it w/ Adobe and the cloud solution or requirement to purchase every update- which is not a solution, but a forced requirement if you want to keep up to date with their software.

Not ranting at all-

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10646 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 7

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 07-Sep-12 10:49 AM

Mack and others use Nikon Authorized service under contract for repair. Those organizations have continued access to most parts.

I avoid buying warranties. I've had to repair gear in the past, but there would have been debate about whether it is a covered repair. Most of my repairs have been the result of dropped gear or moisture - both excluded.

Nikon Service is not particularly fast. I typically get one week turnaround from my local Nikon Authorized location while Nikon takes 3 weeks. I can drop my gear off locally for authorized service while Nikon would require shipping and insurance.

I've had to pay for repair on two of nine camera bodies over the last 10 years. Both cases would have been excluded from coverage - once was a drop and the other water damage. I have had a total of $675 in repairs. The math works in favor of avoiding third party warranties.

I do carry insurance on my gear - both homeowners and business insurance. Just not extended warranties or third party warranties.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 8

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Fri 07-Sep-12 01:24 PM

Eric, I follow the same plan you follow. No extended warranties, but good insurance through the plan offered through NANPA. I tried every angle I could find to get good coverage through my homeowners or auto policies, and none gave me the coverage I needed for equipment left in vehicles and for trips out of country.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

alphaod

Shanghai, CN
75 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon extended warranty" | In response to Reply # 0

alphaod Registered since 23rd Nov 2008
Sat 08-Sep-12 01:41 PM | edited Sat 08-Sep-12 01:45 PM by alphaod

Thanks to all for responding!

After realizing that this is really just an extended warranty to three years total…

I went to Best Buy where I purchased my camera.

They offered a 3 year warranty with accidental protection including water and drop. They said they normally handle all repairs through a company called "Precision Camera;" I'm not familiar with that company. The rep says if Nikon has to do the repairs (with the new rules), then they will sent it to Nikon USA if necessary. They all cover repairs when I'm abroad; I just have to pay for it and then send the receipt in for reimbursement.

The cost is $279 good for three years and they said the protection is transferred without any fees. Does this sound like a good deal? Again I've never bought protection.

I usually decline these things for computers since I upgrade every year, but I do plan on keeping this camera for at least 3-4 years.

G