Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38672 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Sat 25-Aug-12 10:36 AM | edited Sat 22-Sep-12 09:54 AM by jrp

It is with pleasure and pride we announce that the NikoniansPress D800 book by Darrell Young, in association with Rocky Nook is now in stock at your preferred bookstores.

Click on image to view larger version

We want to thank you the contributors of images that not only serve as chapter separators, but clearly illustrate the enhanced capabilities of the Nikon D800 DSLR.

This book is surely the most comprehensive and easier to understand of all the similar titles you may find.

As customary in the series, this book also carries inside its pages a voucher for a 50% discount on a Nikonians Gold Membership.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

easyrider

GOULBURN, AU
28 posts

#1. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

easyrider Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2008
Sun 26-Aug-12 03:26 AM

Just ordered my copy through Amazon. Can't wait for it to arriver down under.
Thanks for having it available so soon.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

irontitan

US
33 posts

#2. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

irontitan Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2009
Sun 26-Aug-12 06:54 AM

I'll be watching for it in Nairobi! Thanks for the update that the book is now available.

Rusty

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#3. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Mon 27-Aug-12 09:32 AM

I pre-ordered so looking forward to receiving it shortly.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#4. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 28-Aug-12 01:45 PM | edited Tue 28-Aug-12 05:26 PM by DigitalDarrell

I'm so excited and happy this morning!

Mastering the Nikon D800, just hit #1 on Amazon.com in two major photography categories, and #2 in a third. I am very happy and want to thank each of you who purchased the book!

Here is a picture of its progress:

If any early readers wouldn't mind writing a good review of the book on Amazon.com, I would appreciate it. Early 5-star reviews make a book successful. Thank you for your help!

UPDATE:

At 3:15 PM ET the book went to Number 1 in all three photo categories!

This is great! Thank you, Nikonians!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#5. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 30-Aug-12 01:18 AM

Remember friends, there's a Nikonians Gold Membership 50% Discount Certificate in the book, just after the table of contents. Now is a great opportunity to obtain or renew a Gold Membership at Nikonians for half off the normal cost. That means the book is basically free when you renew your membership. Thanks!

Chuck_Tankersley

Stone Mountain, US
7 posts

#6. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 5

Chuck_Tankersley Registered since 07th Nov 2005
Thu 30-Aug-12 05:41 PM

Got my copy in yesterday's mail. Just started reading; I can tell it's going to be good.
thanks for your research and work./
Chuck

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#7. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 6

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Thu 30-Aug-12 09:43 PM

Excellent book. Well done!

profpb

Venice, US
112 posts

#8. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 7

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010
Sat 01-Sep-12 05:37 PM

I have used the D7000 version since day one. My the D800e has been in my hands for two months without mastery. Amazon is sending it and I will be fine. Thank you again in advance.
Dr. Buick

Palisades Dave

Pacific Palisades, US
127 posts

#9. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 5

Palisades Dave Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jul 2007
Sun 02-Sep-12 02:56 PM

Darrell:

You have done it again! I just got my copy. Awesome!

Dave

HDL_PHOTO

US
12 posts

#10. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

HDL_PHOTO Registered since 02nd Sep 2012
Sun 02-Sep-12 06:47 PM

Just received my copy...excellent. Now I wish my D800E would show up

BradV

Quincy, US
149 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#11. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 10

BradV Registered since 07th Dec 2005
Sun 02-Sep-12 07:42 PM

Outstanding book! Best on the market.

Brad

boudreaux

DONALDSONVILLE, US
4 posts

#12. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

boudreaux Registered since 19th Jul 2012
Mon 03-Sep-12 12:48 AM

I just ordered my copy, thanks. I am looking foward to reading it to help me in my hobby for years to come.

VisitDmy Nikonians gallery.

DAVID BOUDREAUX

ShaoLynx

Tienen, BE
29 posts

#13. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010
Mon 03-Sep-12 06:02 PM

Any chance to get an e-copy like pdf on my iPad?
Thank you.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#14. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 04-Sep-12 01:14 AM

>Any chance to get an e-copy like pdf on my iPad?
>Thank you.

Geert,

The ebook versions (PDF, epub, Mobi, APK, Kindle) will be available in a week or so. I'll make an announcement here when the ebooks are available.

To all,

Thanks to everyone who are buying my book. I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying it. It makes all the work, worthwhile.

Obregon

New York City, US
2609 posts

#15. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 4

Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 04-Sep-12 11:38 AM

Oh, Darrell I hate authors who solicit good reviews , especially when their book is so good (and especially when there are no other competitors on Amazon. On the other hand, I had no trouble writing my five star review before I read your solicitation. I'm glad I received your book the same week that I received my D800E, or I would have been hysterical wondering what settings to use. On the other hand, I don't forgive you for keeping me reading the book constantly for two days. It was hard for me to stop to eat or slee but well worth the effort.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#16. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 04-Sep-12 12:17 PM | edited Tue 04-Sep-12 12:23 PM by DigitalDarrell

>Oh, Darrell I hate authors who solicit good reviews ,
>especially when their book is so good (and especially when
>there are no other competitors on Amazon. On the other hand, I
>had no trouble writing my five star review before I read your
>solicitation. I'm glad I received your book the same week that
>I received my D800E, or I would have been hysterical wondering
>what settings to use. On the other hand, I don't forgive you
>for keeping me reading the book constantly for two days. It
>was hard for me to stop to eat or slee but well worth the
>effort.

Conrad,

Thanks for your excellent review. I like the way you discuss things in the review.

The reason I ask for reviews early on is because a review is one of the most important things a book buyer looks at before buying a book. If others like the book, its an easier buying decision. If a book is not successful within a week or two of release, the book sales people drop it like a hot potato and move on to greener pastures. The book then slides into oblivion.

I am simply asking Nikonians who really like the book to write a short review. It only takes a few minutes and really makes a difference to the long-term success of the book. Many of the buyers of the book are not yet Nikonians, and the book invites them in, so the good reviews assist Nikonians.org in acquiring new members.

There are definitely several competitors: Hogan, Busch, Thomas, Revell, and Stafford all have excellent D800 books out, or are about to be released. I respect each of them and wish their books much success. I just hope mine does well too.

Of course, I could just request a bunch of 1-star reviews and ask people to bad mouth the book to their friends. However, I'd rather everyone love the book and give it a 10-star review. That won't happen, and soon, plants from disgruntled publishing houses will start posting things like, "Oh how awful and boring and stupid the book is. It's not any better than the manual. In fact, the manual is less boring." ... and so forth.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory, huh?

You were the first reviewer I ever had on Amazon.com, back in 2008 (Mastering the Nikon D300). I met you at PhotoPlus Expo last October. I appreciate your fair reviews.

Hey, requests for excellent reviews are still open!

Obregon

New York City, US
2609 posts

#17. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 16

Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 04-Sep-12 01:47 PM

I hope you know I was pulling your leg. I think it's a great book, and after years of reviewing I know how important it is to get good reviews. On the other hand, when I've given bad reviews, I've had authors try to smother my review with good reviews, and I've sometimes seen my review disappear in the onslaught. I'm not worried about your book doing well, even though I suspect a competing author might write a bad review under a pseudonym. Unfortunately that has become the nature of reviews and reviewing on the web.

Now we need the D4 book that someone has asked for!

newtonslab

US
1 posts

#18. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 4

newtonslab Registered since 06th Sep 2012
Fri 07-Sep-12 03:26 PM

Hi! Darrell:

Excellent Book!
However, I'd like to have a proposal so that I can go to Amazon
to give a five stars. (Until then 4 star)

1) Good session on Bank A B C D examples.
But why Nikon D800 users need a Bank D for a Party JPEG?
Can We have a Bank for, Saying HDR? or AEB (Bracketing)?

2) Can you put an additional PDF materials on your site to
have a Chapter on: Step by step to take HDR pictures without
using D800's HRD function (which only has 2 exposures) but with 5 more exposures Bracket seeting for Post HDR Process in CS5 like software?

I read from page to page of your book, but could not find this Bracketing HDR multi Exposues capability in your book.
Can you provide the answer?

Thanks
Newton

profpb

Venice, US
112 posts

#19. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 18

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010
Fri 07-Sep-12 05:51 PM

I read the book yesterday between Breakfast (early) and dinner (late).

Just like the D7000 book it is the bible for my D800e.

I did set up my "D" bank for HDR using the # exposures in Photomatix4.1 after importing them from my SD card. My "A" bank is for my best RAW shots, my "B" bank is for JPEG and "C" bank is for my night shots.

Otherwise people will think my D800e is Darrel's if they look at the menus.

Dr. Buick

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#20. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 14

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Sun 09-Sep-12 01:16 PM

The first "camera" book I have ever bought. AND I am glad I did. When I first got the D800 I spent about 4 days going over every setting and getting familiar with all the menu's. The owners manual was confusing in spots. Darrell' in depth discussion's were "right on" (I started reading it at the hospital , bedside to my wife who had a four day stay for her 3 stents after triple bypass)
Now that she is home she has heard me say, more than once....wow I did not know that ! And I thought I knew the camera very well. GREAT JOB Darrell !!!! ( my dog was not happy when I was learning the flash, never knew it had a flash preview.) I really liked your recommended settings and actually changed a couple to match as they made sense.

One thing that would be nice....Is it possible to have a quick reference card (sheet) for the menu's. Where one could pull it out and say, I want to look up menu a4 - AF activation and have your page number for that setting. Then (IMO) the book could be a "handy" reference guide. I know I could do this but perhaps it has already been done, or Darrell has notes which would make it quicker.
ALL in ALL GREAT job Darrell. You really helped me get a better understanding of autofocus and area modes. And yes I want picture after picture of seagulls in flight, had to laugh when I read that....I live in Florida. LOL

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#21. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 20

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Sun 09-Sep-12 01:30 PM

>The first "camera" book I have ever bought. AND I
>am glad I did. When I first got the D800 I spent about 4 days
>going over every setting and getting familiar with all the
>menu's. The owners manual was confusing in spots. Darrell' in
>depth discussion's were "right on" (I started
>reading it at the hospital , bedside to my wife who had a four
>day stay for her 3 stents after triple bypass)
>Now that she is home she has heard me say, more than
>once....wow I did not know that ! And I thought I knew the
>camera very well. GREAT JOB Darrell !!!! ( my dog was not
>happy when I was learning the flash, never knew it had a flash
>preview.) I really liked your recommended settings and
>actually changed a couple to match as they made sense.
>
>One thing that would be nice....Is it possible to have a quick
>reference card (sheet) for the menu's. Where one could pull it
>out and say, I want to look up menu a4 - AF activation and
>have your page number for that setting. Then (IMO) the book
>could be a "handy" reference guide. I know I could
>do this but perhaps it has already been done, or Darrell has
>notes which would make it quicker.
>ALL in ALL GREAT job Darrell. You really helped me get a
>better understanding of autofocus and area modes. And yes I
>want picture after picture of seagulls in flight, had to laugh
>when I read that....I live in Florida. LOL

BTW Amazon review forthcoming.....how many stars, hmmmm anticipation. LOL

D3Xwannabe

Williamsburg, US
267 posts

#22. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

D3Xwannabe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2009
Wed 12-Sep-12 12:40 PM

Darryl has done it again! Thanks my fellow Nikonian for producing yet another fine book to "explain" in "real-speak" what Nikon tries in vain to convey in the owner's manual.

Another "job well done."

Cheers,

CARL
D3XWannabe

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#23. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Thu 13-Sep-12 08:46 AM

Delighted to get my copy of Mastering the Nikon D 800 in the mail today. I am leafing my way though and I am delighted with the layout, the indexing and of course the excellently written text. I feel that I can now really get down to getting the most from this wonderful camera.
Thanks Darrell

GH

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#24. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 16-Sep-12 01:12 PM

I am humbled by the fact that my book Mastering the Nikon D800 is still at #1 in several photo categories nearly three weeks after release. This morning it was at #411 in all books, meaning that it is merely about 300 books away from being in the top 100 books selling on Amazon.com (out of 8.5 million books).

I want to thank each of you who have purchased Mastering the Nikon D800. I am getting many emails and forum questions each day from readers—almost too many to handle. I will answer each of the emails, although, it will take me a few more days due to the volume. Thank you so much for supporting my book!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

ShaoLynx

Tienen, BE
29 posts

#25. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 24

Mon 17-Sep-12 06:44 PM

Uhm, aren't you forgetting the PDF-version, Darrell?
Just patiently waiting in my little corner, here...
Thx

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#26. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 25

Mon 17-Sep-12 08:25 PM

>Uhm, aren't you forgetting the PDF-version, Darrell?
>Just patiently waiting in my little corner, here...
>Thx

Geert,

I have written my publisher an email asking about the ebook versions, including PDF. No reply yet on the ebook subject. They are usually out by now.

I want one myself to use on my tablet! Surely, it can't be much longer now.

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#27. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 26

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Mon 17-Sep-12 11:58 PM

Will there be any provisions for people who have bought the bound version to get the PDF version for free or reduced price?

Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere, but I couldn't find it after several searches.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#28. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 18-Sep-12 10:02 AM

Mastering the Nikon D800 is now available in Amazon Kindle USA edition for US$9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CI1A4Q

I will have more information soon on the other ebook formats.

texspeel

Fairfax Station, US
391 posts

#29. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 28

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Wed 19-Sep-12 12:50 AM

More good news! It's also available on Apple iBooks.

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

RWSTARRETT

Gardnerville, US
145 posts

#30. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

RWSTARRETT Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2009
Wed 19-Sep-12 08:32 PM | edited Wed 19-Sep-12 08:35 PM by RWSTARRETT

Kindle edition looks great!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#31. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 19-Sep-12 09:03 PM

I just got another notice that Mastering the Nikon D800 is now available in three more ebook formats. Here is current ebook availability:

ePub, Mobi, PDF (bundled deal)
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781937538057.do

Kindle
http://amzn.to/S82lqy

Of course, it is also available on the iTunes store in ePub format, if you prefer. I think this gives us all a good selection of formats. I understand it will also be available in the Barnes & Noble Nook format within a day or two, check here: http://bit.ly/OGfYHx.

Again, thanks for supporting our NikoniansPress Mastering the Nikon® DSLR series. Please be sure to take advantage of the Nikonians GOLD Membership 50% Discount Coupon in Mastering the Nikon D800.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#32. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 20-Sep-12 12:36 AM | edited Thu 20-Sep-12 12:37 AM by DigitalDarrell

Amazing! The Kindle eBook version of Mastering the Nikon D800 has exploded on the charts at Amazon.com. Nikonians evidently wanted a Kindle version!

At 10:30 pm ET on 19 Sept 2012 Mastering the Nikon D800 is #1 in print books and #2 in eBooks under Hot New Releases in Photography Equipment on Amazon.com. Thank you for buying my book and now eBook!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

ShaoLynx

Tienen, BE
29 posts

#33. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 31

Sun 23-Sep-12 06:19 PM

Got the PDF from O'Reilly.
Thanks Darrel -- happy readin' ahead.

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#34. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 4

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Mon 24-Sep-12 03:08 PM

My Kindle version is downloading as I type this. Glad it's available in electronic format. Presently wading through Hogan's book for the second time, then looking forward to reading yours. Thanks for your efforts.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

glennr1

UK
1 posts

#35. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

glennr1 Registered since 18th Sep 2012
Thu 27-Sep-12 05:23 AM

This is an excellent book, the best £20 I have invested in a long while. Within a few days I have gained a much better understanding of what I can do with the D800, which is far more than I had first thought. Nice work Darrell.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#36. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 35

Thu 27-Sep-12 10:28 AM

>This is an excellent book, the best £20 I have invested in a
>long while. Within a few days I have gained a much better
>understanding of what I can do with the D800, which is far
>more than I had first thought. Nice work Darrell.

Thank you, Glenn! A few pounds spent on a book can make a difference for years of camera usage. I'm glad it has helped you. Thanks for buying my book!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#37. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 27-Sep-12 01:52 PM

I was quite happy this morning to see that our NikoniansPress book Mastering the Nikon D800 has now achieved #1 status in all three photography categories in Kindle ebooks. Thanks to all Kindle purchasers!

Here's a link: http://amzn.to/S82lqy

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#38. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Fri 28-Sep-12 03:54 PM

Excellent book! I figured that fellow Nikonians in the earlier reviews may be a little biased and giving it praise regardless - but Darrell, you really did an outstanding job. A nice balance of technical details coupled with practical advice, from someone who is obviously very passionate about photography and the D800 in particular. Your enthusiasm really comes through, which makes you make an excellent teacher for someone like me who shares that enthusiasm and is hungry to learn about the camera.

For any D800 owner who has not yet purchased one - buy this book!!! I have a copy Thom Hogan's as well, which is also excellent, but in a different way. They complement each other very nicely, and I highly recommend you get them both. The cost is negligible compared to value of the knowledge you will gain.

I would also like to put in my two cents and recommend the printed version of Darrell's. As I said in my Amazon.com review, the quality of the physical book itself is outstanding. Being nearly 600 pages in length, I thought this would be a pretty hefty book to lug around, but it is not. The paper and printing are excellent quality; it's only one inch thick; and it easily fits into my camera bag. I like to highlight things and nothing bleeds through the semi-gloss paper. If you're like me and still prefer a "real" book to hold in your hands, you will be glad you got this version.

Thanks Darrell - very nice job!

Dave

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#39. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 37

bdudzik Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2009
Sat 29-Sep-12 05:35 AM

Darrell - Your book states that errata and other updates can be found at www.PictureAndPen.com. There is nothing there except links to buy the book at Amazon. How do I find and report errata?

RiverWader

Gardner, US
80 posts

#40. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

RiverWader Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 14th May 2010
Sat 29-Sep-12 12:03 PM

Add me to the list of very satisfied readers. Got my copy this week and it immediately had me customizing and getting accustomed to my new D800. This is my first experience with the "Mastering the..." series and have found it logically flowing and understandable.

Great job Darrell.

-Pat

bobby18301

east stroudsburg, US
48 posts

#41. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 5

bobby18301 Registered since 31st Mar 2008
Sat 29-Sep-12 11:03 PM

I just received my book and I can tell already that I am going to fall in love with my two D800E's all over again! This book looks amazing and I've only skimmed the pages. If it wasn't for this great Nikon forum I wouldn't have even known the book was available.

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#42. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 34

Sun 30-Sep-12 03:00 PM

I've been reading the Mastering D800 book, and I have a problem with one part where color space is discussed. Darrell says to use AdobeRGB if you're shooting NEF/RAW. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression, but I don't think that there is a color space associated with a raw file. I always shoot RAW and PP in LR4. When I want to export an image from my DNG conversions as a JPG or TIFF, I have to specify sRGB, AdobeRGB or ProPhoto as the destination space into which the image will be rendered. I think the choice of color space in camera only applies if you are shooting in JPG/TIFF. Am I missing something here?

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#43. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 34

Sun 30-Sep-12 05:16 PM

I found another small point about repeating flash (4343 of 10562 on the Kindle) that I think might be incorrect. The book states that frequency is the number of times the speedlight pulses per flash. I think the proper interpretation is that frequency determines the RATE at which the repeating flashes occur. If you chose to have the flash repeat five times at a frequency of 10Hz, you would have five flashes in 5/10 second, not 5 x 10 or 50 flashes.

ExtremePic

FI
26 posts

#44. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 43

ExtremePic Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Sun 30-Sep-12 08:59 PM

I finally got my book. The chapters I will deepen most in are the ones related to AF and metering.

Looks great!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#45. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 42

Mon 01-Oct-12 12:25 PM

Bill,

The color space you choose when shooting in RAW is stored as a marker in the image's metadata. It is displayed with that color space applied when you open the file on your computer. Being a RAW file, it can be changed at any time to the other color space and it will be as if you used the new color space when you shot the image. It really doesn't matter which color space you use when shooting in RAW.

However, that said, most people leave the color space intact when they do the JPEG conversion and unless you remember to specifically change the color space at the time of conversion, you may be left with a lesser color space, since the camera defaults to sRGB from the factory.

I think I will clarify that text in the next book in that section so that this question will not arise again. Also, the book does clarify, later on, that it does not matter which color space you use in RAW since it can be changed.

Additionally, not setting the correct color space adds a step when you do the conversion.

Finally, if you happen to switch to JPEG, in the middle of things, whatever color space you've selected will be applied immediately and permanently to the JPEG file. I am of the belief that you should set your camera to the best possible settings for the job, even if you decide to change them later (when using RAW).

ParisPeppermint

Paris, US
9 posts

#46. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

ParisPeppermint Registered since 24th Sep 2012
Mon 01-Oct-12 12:36 PM

Purchased the Kindle version today and will spend the evening reading up in anticipation of my D800e delivery tomorrow!

Looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship with both!

Tricia

www.triciabookerphotography.com

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#47. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 39

Tue 02-Oct-12 01:14 AM

Check the book carefully. I don't want to mention the private websites mentioned in the book, but my PictureAndPen.com site is just for contacting me. Check the book for the two main Downloadable Resource Sites mentioned elsewhere.

You can report errata on my Contact link at www.PictureAndPen.com.

An errata document is being prepared right now and will be online in a few days. So far, just minor errata. Out of a book with 182,000 words, I expect we'll find more.

Thanks!

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#48. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 47

bdudzik Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2009
Tue 02-Oct-12 07:26 PM

>Check the book carefully. I don't want to mention the private
>websites mentioned in the book, but my PictureAndPen.com site
>is just for contacting me. Check the book for the two main
>Downloadable Resource Sites mentioned elsewhere.
>
>You can report errata on my Contact link at
>www.PictureAndPen.com.
>
>An errata document is being prepared right now and will be
>online in a few days. So far, just minor errata. Out of a book
>with 182,000 words, I expect we'll find more.
>
>Thanks!
If I go to PictureandPen and hit "Contacts" and then "Send Email" after I finish composing an email and click the "Send..." button I get a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" on the screen and no acknowledgement that the message has been sent. Check your other website where I sent a message regarding possible errata information.

col4bin

San Francisco, US
119 posts

#49. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

col4bin Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2012
Thu 04-Oct-12 03:36 AM

Just received a hard copy of this book from Amazon. Being a recent convert from Canon, I needed a little more help with the menus and layout. This book seems to be just what I was looking for. Highly recommended.

My Web Page

My Nikonians gallery

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#50. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 06-Oct-12 07:16 PM

If any new readers of Mastering the Nikon D800 would create a review on Amazon.com (USA) I would deeply appreciate it. The holiday season is coming and I hope to make this book a success over the holidays. Only with your good reviews will that happen.

Here's a convenient link to the review section of the book on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/UsEtjA

Thank you in advance!

Anie76

Tehachapi, US
1 posts

#51. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Anie76 Registered since 13th Oct 2012
Sun 14-Oct-12 11:33 AM

I ordered the book from Amazon in Kindle format to put on my iPad, computers and iphone. I can take this book wherever I go! Thank you! The book appears to be well written, thorough and very informative. I cannot wait to lose myself in it!

Sventek

Perth, AU
123 posts

#52. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Sventek Registered since 23rd Dec 2007
Wed 17-Oct-12 09:52 PM

I just purchased the e-book from O'Reilly. I've had a chance to read the first chapter, and it's great. I also have a rival book, and this one looks a lot better so far. Congrats to Darrell.

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
3783 posts

#53. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book-Apple iPod version" | In response to Reply # 0

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Tue 23-Oct-12 02:45 AM

After having completed reading Mr. Young's book from Amazon.ca I found that I benefited from the information so much that I would like to have it on my iPod for easy access when traveling. I know I will enjoy having the knowledge portable as I decide to refresh my memory on various concepts and settings. I wasn't to optimistic about format with such a small screen. I found the book at the iTunes store and was delighted once downloaded that there were so many features - highlighting, book marking, easy navigation through the book to pin point a topic. It is colorful and the pictures are easily visible. I have not offered a review here of the book but I left one on Amazon.ca and made comments previously on the Nikonians website. Obviously if I want to copies of the book I find the book valuable.

I have also been reading a PDF version of a book on the camera by another author but I find it tiresome to navigate through the book and it is not as well prepared. It is a great source of information but has a lot of tedious detail which is of little interest to me i.e. historical background and intricate detail of technical operation.

Dibyendu2

IN
5 posts

#54. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 50

Dibyendu2 Registered since 07th Dec 2012
Sat 22-Dec-12 06:40 PM

Hi Darrel,

Eagerly waiting for the book to see. On 14th Dec evening just about to place my order for my e-copy and found a 50% increase in price; in the morning it was available for $ 9.99 only. Hope it would come down after the festive days. Will it really come down ?

I would be reading through Windows laptop. I think pdf format from Otreilly would be best. Please suggest.

Thanks,

Dibyendu

Thatguy Steve

Springfield, US
29 posts

#55. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012
Sun 23-Dec-12 09:40 AM

I received my copy last Friday from Amazon.

They provided me with a special promotion since I purchased my D800E through them.

I ended up paying $3.99 for the book. Basically the book was free and I picked up the shipping.

This is a great book. I have the David Busch D800 book also and I like Darrell's much better.

Darrell's "Setting Recommendations" and explanations for why one would use particular settings are very helpful. Most helpful for me though were the last 6 chapters of the book. I'm trying to learn and understand how this machine works and these chapters helped very much.

Good job and thanks a bunch.

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US
Io porto e sparare: Nikon D800E &amp Springfield TRP

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#56. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 23-Dec-12 11:16 PM | edited Wed 16-Jan-13 12:39 AM by jrp

Again, I want to express my thanks to all of you who have complimented the book. It makes all the hard work very worthwhile when others appreciate it.

I'm proud to be a Nikonian and to be among friends!

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#57. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 56

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:10 AM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 04:13 AM by Hawk Eyes

Darrell, love the book. I do this for a living and this book is a great reference for me and the D800E. Bought my mastering the D800 at Barnes and Noble

stbdtack

Annapolis, US
1 posts

#58. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

stbdtack Registered since 20th Jan 2013
Fri 25-Jan-13 06:25 PM

Just uploaded the Kindle version to my iPad. Nicely done!

Living well is the best revenge,

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

#59. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 58

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Thu 21-Feb-13 11:14 PM | edited Sat 23-Feb-13 02:24 PM by GaryPk

I purchased a different D800 book long before this book came out and have been disappointed every time I have referenced it.

I am going to buy the hard copy of this from Amazon but wonder if I should wait .... there must have been a lot of updates by now that aren't yet included? Should I get the digital version for the updates?

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#60. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 50

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Sat 02-Mar-13 08:02 AM

Just left me review Darrell 5*

Cheers
Neil

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#61. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 59

Sun 07-Apr-13 10:11 AM

Gary,

The digital and printed versions are updated (for errata) at the same time, each time the book is reprinted. They are never out of sync with each other.

I have recently added some new information on using the HDMI port with a Atomos Ninja-2 external recorder. Check the Downloadable Resources website.

MongoG

Browns Summit, US
189 posts

#62. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2009
Wed 10-Apr-13 03:41 PM

Darrell,
Thanks so much for authoring the Mastering the Nikon D800. I recently was able to purchase the D800 and went to the local Barnes and Noble dealer to purchase your book while I waited for the camera to be delivered. Lightly scanned the first 4-5 chapters prior to getting the camera and then went through them in detail with the camera in front of me. All I can say is, the book was extremely helpful in getting things setup initially. I really got a lot out of your tips on labeling and numbering the photos and the copywrite information - very helpful. This was a big upgrade from my D300 and thanks to you and your book it has gone very well.
Thanks again and keep writing,
Gary

patephoto.com

ChrisBalcombe

Southampton, UK
4 posts

#63. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 62

ChrisBalcombe Registered since 02nd Mar 2013
Sat 13-Apr-13 05:38 AM

An excellent book. I'm of the 'don't read the instructions, just use it' brigade of camera-users.

But having and reading the book has improved my knowledge and understanding of not just the D800 but also my D700's immensely.

Many thanks indeed

www.ChrisBalcombe.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbalcombe/

mathjak107

bayside queens, US
474 posts

#64. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 63

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006
Sun 14-Apr-13 09:30 PM

Just got the nook version from barnes and noble. Great reference book to have.

http://mm-photography.smugmug.com/browse

gforeman

Winchester, US
239 posts

#65. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

gforeman Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004
Sat 12-Oct-13 12:53 AM

Just ordered my Kindle version!

Does it still include the membership discount?

G-Man

markcash

US
4 posts

#66. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800 NikoniansPress/RockyNook Book" | In response to Reply # 0

markcash Registered since 21st Sep 2013
Mon 14-Oct-13 11:00 PM

Thank you JRP. Beautiful pictures, filled with true sentimiento.

G