Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Thu 26-Jul-12 05:20 AM | edited Fri 27-Jul-12 08:40 AM by Hawk Eyes

These are a couple promo shoots that I did for USA Volleyball. One is a member of the 2012 USA Olympic men's indoor team Dave McKenzie, and the other is the #1 ranked women's beach volleyball player on the USA domestic tour Whitney Pavlik, All were shot with the D800E. I love this camera for action and fashion.

Click on image to view larger version
Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Watch72

HK
7 posts

#1. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

Watch72 Registered since 26th Jun 2012
Thu 26-Jul-12 10:23 AM | edited Thu 26-Jul-12 10:25 AM by Watch72

Hi Pete

These are great shots. It really show what the 800E can do, especially for action shot. May I ask what setting and lens you have for the volley ball shot? I am new to Nikon and just acquired the 800E so your guide here will be very much appreciated. I use mostly a RF and keeping mostly to wide and not into anything longer than 75mm.

/Watch72

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#2. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Thu 26-Jul-12 11:17 AM

Awesome shots, Pete. Have you had to deal with any moiré?

Rocky

kiu

Pleasanton, US
73 posts

#3. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

kiu Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 26-Jul-12 03:20 PM

I'm liking the basketball player pic. Is it a composite?

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#4. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Thu 26-Jul-12 03:50 PM

These are awesome, Pete!

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#5. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Thu 26-Jul-12 08:23 PM | edited Thu 26-Jul-12 08:52 PM by jpFoto

Pete

Your women's volleyball shot is outstanding! Another member posted some really good shots of women's volleyball, but they don't hold a candle to yours.

jP

mchess1

west palm beach, US
56 posts

#6. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 3

mchess1 Registered since 15th May 2010
Thu 26-Jul-12 08:59 PM

Not sure if it is a composite, but that is David McKienzie, an opposite side hitter on the indoor volleyball team.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#7. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 27-Jul-12 12:20 AM | edited Fri 27-Jul-12 05:46 AM by Hawk Eyes

Thank you all so very much. Glad I can help to show what this beast can do.... I use a 70 200 VR II for all my action, and shoot manual at 1/5000 / Auto ISO/ Raw most of the time, some times fine JPG if my battery gets low. I also use 51 points focus AF/C and always use back botton focus and front button for shutter. The Dave shot indoor V-ball was shot with a 24/70 2.8 two strobes one beauty dish High right and one strobe left, with just a reflector to get the flag and left side of Dave lite just right....
"THIS IS NOT A COMPOSITE" he is standing on a table at the Olympic indoor training center.... That Huge flag in the back ground is about 25 feet away. I did get some Moiré in the shorts that dave was wearing.... But it was a easy fix as you can see in Light room 4. The D800E is no joke it is the top dog DSLR right now IMO.
Thanks Pete

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#8. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 7

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Fri 27-Jul-12 06:17 AM

Wow! I like these even more than the previous shots you posted.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#9. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 27-Jul-12 06:20 PM

Thank you,... yes I am finding that this camera can do it all. I would say the only thing that would be a little tuff to deal with would be the file size on some computers

Snappo

Tulsa, US
475 posts

#10. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 9

Snappo Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004
Fri 27-Jul-12 08:22 PM | edited Fri 27-Jul-12 08:26 PM by Snappo

Great shots and they are causing me trouble! I'm not quite ready for 800 just yet.

a retired old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

gpmaijer

US
11 posts

#11. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 0

gpmaijer Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Fri 27-Jul-12 11:59 PM

Wow! Very impressive!

txstone12

Texas, US
630 posts

#12. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 7

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Sat 28-Jul-12 08:25 PM

Really exceptional images - esp. the dig save with the ball compressing against Whitney's arm. And, you also have to love the 70-200 VRII

Thanks too for sharing some of your lighting and settings information - always good to pick up some tips.

I'll just keep trying w my D800,

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

gmooney1

Atlanta, US
82 posts

#13. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 11

gmooney1 Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 31-Jul-12 12:57 AM

Great sports shot! And you gotta love the 800 for anything. Great speed for a smaller camera. I thinks its as fast as the D3.

File size will kill your hard drives though. Although I just did a survey for Nikon that asked a few times if a smaller Nef would be used... Maybe an update...

marvboater

Fort Myers, US
103 posts

#14. "D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 0

marvboater Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2009
Tue 31-Jul-12 07:33 AM

Pete ..

WOW .. These are great shots !! .. It really show what the 800E can do .. will you be posting any additional images ?? ..

Marv ..

Bk777

MY
161 posts

#15. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 14

Bk777 Registered since 10th Feb 2012
Tue 31-Jul-12 10:24 AM

Very impressive shots. Hope to see more shots.

MichaelDMiller

West Hartford, US
288 posts

#16. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 0

MichaelDMiller Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2009
Tue 31-Jul-12 12:52 PM

Hello Hawk.

Regarding the Moire and LR4, I have gotten some with my D300.
Thanks for the tip to control moire with LR4. I didn't even notice it and the Defringe as well. Sometimes you just need your eyes opened.

MichaelDMiller

West Hartford, US
288 posts

#17. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 31-Jul-12 01:10 PM

In the email from Nikonians, Pete said he dealt with Moire with Lightroom 4, local adjustment (brush) and one of the local adjustments is Moire.

MichaelDMiller

West Hartford, US
288 posts

#18. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 31-Jul-12 01:17 PM

In the Nikonians article, Pete said it was not a composite. The flag was very large and about 25' away. I have pasted the Nikonian article from the intro email they sent to members, below. That may answer many of the questions that have been posted.

If you are not signed up for the Nikonian newsletter, I do recommend it.

Our thanks to Silver member Pete Michele (Hawk Eyes) of California, USA for sharing a couple of his promotional photos of USA Volleyball athletes.
Pete is more than happy to recommend the Nikon D800E for fashion and action shooting.

He tells us:
"Glad I can help to show what this beast can do.... I use a 70 200 VR II for all my action, and shoot manual at 1/5000 / Auto ISO/ Raw most of the time, sometimes fine JPG if my battery gets low.
I also use 51 points focus AF/C and always use back botton focus and front button for shutter.

The Dave shot indoor V-ball was shot with a 24/70 2.8 two strobes one beauty dish High right and one strobe left, with just a reflector to get the flag and left side of Dave lit just right.
"THIS IS NOT A COMPOSITE-- he is standing on a table at the Olympic indoor training center.... That huge flag in the background is about 25 feet away.

I did get some Moiré in the shorts that Dave was wearing.... But it was a easy fix as you can see in Light room 4. The D800E is no joke. It is the top dog DSLR right now IMO."

MichaelDMiller

West Hartford, US
288 posts

#19. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 12

Tue 31-Jul-12 01:21 PM

David,

I didn't even notice that the ball was crunched. Thanks for point it out. I would have missed it unless maybe, maybe I had looked at the photo again.

D3Xwannabe

Williamsburg, US
267 posts

#20. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 16

D3Xwannabe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2009
Tue 31-Jul-12 02:00 PM

Only one word for photos with IQ like this: SUPERB!!!!! Nice work and thanks for giving us a little insight into how WE can do a little better with our action sports photography. I've copied your remarks into a memo that I will keep for such occasions. Manual mode at 1/5000th of a sec. Who would have thought of that? Not me, that's for sure.

Cheers,

CARL
D3XWannabe

parch2k

Toronto, CA
60 posts

#21. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 20

parch2k Silver Member Charter Member
Tue 31-Jul-12 09:09 PM

Now I'm soooo sad that I saw this post, since I was under the impression that the D800 (and D800E) would not be good at action/sports, but now I'm sold and worry about my bank account!!

Thanks for posting these amazing images that demonstrate just some of the capability of this camera.

I had access to a D800 briefly about a month ago and I was truly amazed by the image quality and handling, but I didn't get a chance to try action and now I'm sold on that.

- Paul
- A Toronto Nikonian

MichaelDMiller

West Hartford, US
288 posts

#22. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 21

Tue 31-Jul-12 10:11 PM

I believe I read that it is limited to 6fps and I did not read that there was a vertical grip available for it with the extra large battery.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#23. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 31-Jul-12 11:46 PM | edited Wed 01-Aug-12 03:09 AM by Hawk Eyes

Thank you all very much. Yes, I will be posting more photos within the next few days Thanks again, friends

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#24. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA Volleyball and Beach" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 01-Aug-12 03:04 AM

Glad I could Help

Bokeh888

South Florida, US
92 posts

#25. "RE: D800E photographs Olympic USA indoor and beach Volleyball" | In response to Reply # 7

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011
Wed 01-Aug-12 06:41 PM

Great photos that distinguish you from the masses. Keep them coming. All the best.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

G