Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Example of Nikon D800 Resolution

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:18 AM

Okay, for my first example of the Nikon D800's amazing resolution, check out this 100% pixel-peeping view of a group of tombstones, deep at the back of the cemetery image. The little tombstones that are mere dots on the image have readable text on them. These images are completely unretouched NEF to JPEG conversions in Nikon Capture NX2 vs. 2.3.0.

Click on image to view larger version

I shot several images today that I am going to post somewhere for people to download as RAW NEF files so they can do their own testing. I'm working it out with management now and will report back with details soon.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."

f11

Tulsa, US
865 posts

#1. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:26 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, what was the lens?

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#2. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 1

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:41 PM | edited Sat 24-Mar-12 11:49 PM by DigitalDarrell

>Just out of idle curiosity, what was the lens?

Oops, I should have mentioned that in the first place. Here's the specs:

Shot with:

Nikon D800
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G lens at f/8
1/160s shutter speed
100 ISO
Aperture Priority Mode
Neutral (NL) Picture Control
On a tripod with mirror up release

DerekTV85

Salt Lake City, US
320 posts

#3. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 2

DerekTV85 Registered since 12th Feb 2012
Sun 25-Mar-12 02:20 PM

Hi Darrell

Thanks for the post... And for The Mastering the D7000

Could you post a crop of either the deep green trees (Pines) i guess.

Roland DG

US
66 posts

#4. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 3

Roland DG Registered since 13th Feb 2012
Sun 25-Mar-12 06:18 PM

Maybe Ken Rockwell was right, you dont need a telephoto anymore

Great shot and example.
Thank you,
Bob

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#5. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 2

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sun 25-Mar-12 09:54 PM

Thanks Darrel,

My kind of shot then.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pechacek

Hanover, Maryland, US
19 posts

#6. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

pechacek Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Sun 25-Mar-12 09:14 PM

Well done example, thank you for posting. Looking foward to futher examples.

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

#7. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 6

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Mon 26-Mar-12 12:29 AM

Darrell.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to seeing the NEF file, and most of all the release of Mastering the Nikon D800/D800E.

Juan

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 7

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Mon 26-Mar-12 10:02 AM

Thanks Darrell and WOW!

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

RSchussel

Vallejo, US
424 posts

#9. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008
Mon 26-Mar-12 02:22 PM

I know everyone is all excited about the D800 but a picture like this is meaningless without some comparision for example to a D4 of possibly D7000.

Bob

JohGHahn

Utrecht, NL
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 9

JohGHahn Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 27-Mar-12 06:27 AM

>I know everyone is all excited about the D800 but a picture
>like this is meaningless without some comparision for example
>to a D4 of possibly D7000.
>
>Bob

Hello Bob, hello Darrell

I agree with Bob.
Darrell, you 'mastered' several Nikon camera's. Why not as a kind of showdown make a series of identical shots with different Nikon camera's to show the evolution up to the D800 step by step and year by year.
No one (not even Dpreview.com) does but it really shows in practice what the test figures suggest in words. It should be obligatory in every test so that test become sort of WYSIWYG.

Thanks anyhow for the graveyardshot. It shows the sharpness of the D800 better than any test!!

Johan

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#11. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 27-Mar-12 12:00 PM

>Why not as a kind of showdown make a series of identical shots with
>different Nikon camera's to show the evolution up to the D800
>step by step and year by year.
>
>Johan

Johan,

I like this idea! While I won't put this in the book, I think it would be a great project to shoot the same subject with all my Nikons to see how they look, side-by-side.

One problem I forsee, though, is that the web has a hard time displaying the differences between images because everything is downsized. I guess I could shoot one overall view to show the scene and then show only 100% cutouts of the individual cameras.

I think I'll make this a project AFTER I am done with Mastering the Nikon D800. OMG is this camera complex!

JohGHahn

Utrecht, NL
23 posts

#12. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 11

JohGHahn Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 27-Mar-12 12:03 PM

I agree with your suggestion as it more workable.
Hope to see/hear from you later ..
Regards and good luck / much fun with the mastering of the D800!

Johan H

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#13. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

rbeeson Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009
Tue 27-Mar-12 10:21 AM

Hi Darrel,

Resolution looks great!

On Macro Photography, do you know if you can get an exposure w/mirror-
up in live view without mirror slap when you press the shutter on the new D800?

Thanks for the info!

Bob

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#14. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 27-Mar-12 11:53 AM | edited Tue 27-Mar-12 01:10 PM by DigitalDarrell

Bob,

Whenever you enter live view, either in Live View Photography (handheld) mode or Movie Live View (tripod) mode, the mirror is raised immediately. It does not move during exposure. When you take a picture, the monitor goes black during the exposure, but again, the mirror does not move.

The reason the screen goes black on the D800 during exposure is because the camera does not use its electronic shutter to take a still picture. It uses the old-fashioned mechanical shutter. Since the live view modes are interrupted when the shutter closes, you see only black for a brief period.

I tested this well with my own D800 by putting it in manual mode and removing the lens. I watched the entire exposure cycle with my own eyes and never during any Live View mode did the D800 move the reflex mirror.

The shutter itself on the D800 is quite a bit louder than on some previous Nikons. It is loud enough to sound like a full mirror movement and shutter curtain firing, but the mirror is static during exposures.

So, basically, any exposures in the two Live View modes is a mirror-up exposure.

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#15. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 14

Fri 30-Mar-12 10:33 AM

Darrell,

After loading your raw file, and opening in Photoshop! Is it possible that your

raw file is over 200 mb? Thats what it shows in the bottom left corner?

Thanks,

Bob

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#16. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 15

Fri 30-Mar-12 11:07 AM

Bob,

From the D800 the file sizes average about like this:

49 MB – Lossless compressed NEF (RAW)
72 MB – Uncompressed NEF (RAW)
212 MB – TIFF
11 MB – JPEG

These numbers will vary, according to the detail in the image.

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#17. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 16

Fri 30-Mar-12 11:10 AM

Darrell,

Thanks for the info!!

Bob

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#18. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 16

Sat 31-Mar-12 12:04 AM

Darrell,

This is the size I downloaded from your raw file? 206mb

Bob

Attachment#1 ( file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#19. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 18

Sat 31-Mar-12 01:57 AM | edited Sat 31-Mar-12 10:08 PM by DigitalDarrell

Bob,

The Nikon D800 has a 14-bit analog-to-digital converter but EXPEED 3 uses a 16-bit space for processing.

A 16-bit RAW file from the Nikon D800 opened in Photoshop is over 200 MB in size because it is now using a 16-bit space. Exactly what you are seeing on your image size screen. The RAW file when "open" in Photoshop is basically the same as a TIFF file in the computer's memory, except most people save it out as a JPEG, which compresses it to a much smaller 8-bit file, throwing away most of the image data in the process.

In other words, Nikon takes a 14-bit file with 16384 colors per RGB channel and EXPEED 3 processes it in a 16-bit space that can contain 65536 colors per RGB channel, plenty of room for all the color levels in your lovely image, and with the D800, the potential for a 16-bit 200+ MB TIFF file.

The D800 gives you the choice of shooting RAW in 12- or 14-bit mode. If you are shooting in 12-bit mode, your camera will record up to 4,096 colors for each RGB channel; therefore, there will be up to 4,096 different reds (R), 4,096 different greens (G), and 4,096 different blues (B). Plenty of color! In fact, almost 69 billion colors (4096 x 4096 x 4096).

If you set your camera to 14-bit mode, the camera can store 16,384 different colors in each RGB channel. That’s quite a lot more color—almost 4.4 trillion shades (16384 x 16384 x 16384).

Is that important? Well, it can be, since the more color information you have, the better the color in the image—if it has a lot of color. I always use the 14-bit mode. That allows for smoother color changes when a large range of color is in the image. I like that!

Of course, if you save your image as an 8-bit JPEG or 8-bit TIFF, most of those colors are compressed, or thrown away. Shooting a JPEG image in-camera (as opposed to a RAW image) means that the camera compresses the available image data so it will fit into an 8-bit file. An 8-bit JPEG image file can hold 256 different colors per RGB channel—more than 16 million colors (256 x 256 x 256). 16 million colors sounds like a lot of color potential and it is; however, compared to 69 billion colors (12-bits RAW) and 4.4 trillion shades (14-bit RAW) a mere 16 million shades (8-bit JPEG) is positively scrawny.

There’s a big difference between the number of colors a camera captures in a RAW file and the number stored in a JPEG image file. That’s why I always shoot in RAW; later I can make full use of all those potential extra colors to create a different look for the same image.

If you shoot in RAW and later save your image as a 16-bit TIFF file in your computer (at 206 MB), you can store all the colors you originally captured. A 16-bit file can contain 65,536 different colors in each of the RGB channels, even though the RAW file at 14-bits only has 16,384 color shades. It's like pouring a cup of tea but not quite filling the cup. The 16-bit cup can easily hold 14-bits of tea. Your Photoshop is using a 16-bit cup to hold the 16-bit RAW file fully (after ACR demosaicing).

Many people save their files as 16-bit TIFFs when post-processing RAW files, especially if they are worried about the long-term viability of their camera’s proprietary RAW format. A 16-bit TIFF provides a known and safe industry-standard format that will fully contain all image color information from a 14-bit RAW file. Unfortunately, the files are huge when saved in 16-bit TIFF format, especially with the D800.

However, I trust that Nikon will always support the NEF file. I can still open NEF files from my Nikon D100 (2002) in Nikon Capture NX2 version 2.3.0. So, it is better to store images as lossless compressed NEF files, in my humble opinion.

So, then, why is a NEF file so much smaller than 200+ MB TIFF from a D800? Because a NEF (RAW) file does not store all those color channels directly. In a sense, a RAW file only stores a single channel (brightness) instead of three (Red, Green, Blue), plus side information to apply color to the image later. Subsequently, a RAW file stores much less actual data. Think about it. The RAW file is about 70+ MB uncompressed. 70 x 3 = 210. So the RAW file is only about 1/3 the size of a fully populated TIFF file. That's nice!

Later the brightness information in the RAW file has color information applied in three channels. That process is called demosaicing or interpolating colors from a mosaic of RGB filters over the individual pixels, and the camera or computer uses the demosaiced data to construct a nice big (or huge in the D800's case) 16-bit color image that opens in Photoshop to 206.9 MB for the image you are using (Nikon says up to 212 MB).

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#20. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 19

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Sat 14-Apr-12 12:30 PM

Thanks for the clear explanation of factors that affect file size. Could you address the DNG file format in a similar vein? What is your opinion of doing routine NEF->DNG conversions when importing into LR? I've been doing this and discarding the original NEF. What, if anything, am I giving up? (I don't embed the original in the DNG.) Thanks.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

daniel_browning

Vancouver, US
31 posts

#21. "My own example" | In response to Reply # 0

daniel_browning Registered since 21st Mar 2012
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:04 AM | edited Wed 28-Mar-12 12:05 AM by daniel_browning

Here is my own example of the detail that the D800 is capable of:

http://thebrownings.name/images/2012/2012-03-D800/res-example-full.jpg

100% crop:
http://thebrownings.name/images/2012/2012-03-D800/res-example-crop.jpg

This is LR4 with some pretty heavy sharpening. I took the shot with a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 set to f/11. It was actually so sharp that it has several instances of moire artifacts -- despite the softening effect of both the anti-alias filter and diffraction itself.

RSchussel

Vallejo, US
424 posts

#22. "RE: My own example" | In response to Reply # 21

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:16 AM

Dont mean to be critical but without comparision to other Nikon bodies I an not sure what it proves. Is the increase significant or just noticable?

Bob

daniel_browning

Vancouver, US
31 posts

#23. "RE: My own example" | In response to Reply # 22

daniel_browning Registered since 21st Mar 2012
Wed 28-Mar-12 04:37 AM

>Dont mean to be critical but without comparision to other
>Nikon bodies I an not sure what it proves.

It proves that the full expected gains are achieved, a piece of information that is hopefully useful to some. It's the opposite of a thread that says "help, I can't get any improvement from increased resolution...". I think it has plenty of utility even without a comparison with a previous generation (though such a comparison would of course be nice).

> Is the increase significant or just noticable?

I think the idea is that the final decision is left to the reader. For example, knowing that it's possible to achieve tack-sharp 36 MP files is not particularly useful to someone who never crops or prints larger than 4x6. To me, it's significant -- just as significant as I would expect from a 36 MP sensor.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#24. "RE: My own example" | In response to Reply # 23

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Wed 28-Mar-12 09:30 AM

I am one who researches and compares everything before I make a decision. However, to keep it simple, sometimes it makes sense to just look at something and say wow...that's what I wanted to be able to do. I think these shots, without comparison to other cameras, lenses etc. provide that wow factor on their own merit. Like buying a car...sometimes when you see it, you know its the one you want. (because you are informed about other options and capabilities). That's how I see these examples....simply showing what the D800 can do and knowing what I have not been able to do before. I agree that comparisons and professional testing are important in decision making but I see these shots as a quick example of capability for those who know what they are looking for. Thanks for the examples..I have been looking at many and I am impressed with the 800's capability..and limitations.

jim43

Fort Mill, US
23 posts

#25. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

jim43 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2008
Wed 28-Mar-12 02:25 PM

I'm really impressed with your image of the tombstones! I'm also thinking of getting a D800, but I have a concern regarding my PC's memory capacity to process such a large image. Both CS5/6 and LightRoom require large amount of memory as well.

Would it be possible for you to make this image available for download so myself and others can see if we can process D800 images using our existing hardware configurations?

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#26. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 25

Wed 28-Mar-12 03:45 PM | edited Wed 28-Mar-12 04:51 PM by DigitalDarrell

>Would it be possible for you to make this image available for
>download so myself and others can see if we can process D800
>images using our existing hardware configurations?

I want to give those who want it a NEF (46.5 MB) or JPEG (19.8 MB*) file so they can work with a carefully taken image. I am worried about the enormous bandwidth it will take if 1000 Nikonians download a 46.5 MB NEF file from my site. Costs would be enormous.

However, I am willing to let individuals download a NEF file if they will contact me by email so that I can send them a private download link. That way I can control the download rate and prevent a server overload.

If you want the RAW (NEF) image I display above, please email me at:

dy9000 @ gmail . com (assemble the email address yourself)

I will send you a link that's good for 72 hours for a NEF or JPEG file, please specify the file type in your request.

*Note: The JPEG is so large because it is a direct RAW to JPEG conversion in Nikon View NX2. Normal camera-created JPEGS are around 11 MB in size.

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

#27. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 26

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Wed 28-Mar-12 07:21 PM

Damn those are big files (even 11 mb)! My Mac would die and go to Mac Heaven...

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

Hektor

Rancho Palos Verdes - So-Cal, US
716 posts

#28. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 26

Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Fri 30-Mar-12 01:31 AM

>I want to give those who want it a NEF (46.5 MB) or JPEG (19.8
>MB*) file so they can work with a carefully taken image. I am
>worried about the enormous bandwidth it will take if 1000
>Nikonians download a 46.5 MB NEF file from my site. Costs
>would be enormous.
>

Hi Darrell:

Do you have any idea how large the flatten files in Tiff format - 16-bit - coming back from CS5 to LR4 would be? In other words, for me a photo would = 46 MB in DNG + ? MB in Tiff. At the present time, with the D7000, I create around 14 MB in DNG + 90 MB in Tiff. It could be that one file is 46 MB (NEF) and 200+ MB (Tiff.) In other words, 4 photos = 1GB. Memory is cheap and so are disk storage and a new more powerful computer. You add it all up, digital is becoming as expensive as B&W film. We have to start limiting our shots in digital as we did with film.

Best regards,

Hektor

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos
My Nikonians Album: My Galleries

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T10 - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#29. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 25

Wed 28-Mar-12 08:05 PM

>Would it be possible for you to make this image available for
>download so myself and others can see if we can process D800
>images using our existing hardware configurations?

Jim,

Be sure to report back here and let us know how your current hardware did with the RAW file. It slows mine down significantly but my computer is getting a bit old with only a dual-core processor and 4 GB of memory.

I do have a new NVidia GeForce 530 1GB multi-GPU video card, but the basic CPU cores on my computer are getting a bit long in the tooth. Oh well. I've been meaning to upgrade the old computer anyway!

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
441 posts

#30. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 29

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Wed 28-Mar-12 11:57 PM | edited Thu 29-Mar-12 11:24 AM by beemerman2k

Wow, I downloaded the raw file from Darrell's D800. I loaded the image in Lightroom 4, knocked down the exposure by a full stop, highlight at -50, whites at -50, shadows and blacks at +50, clarity and contrast at +50, maximized sharpening and set the mask at 50 (works fine in Develop module on my Dell XPS 8300 with Core i7 processor and 12GB RAM), and I can read each and every grave stone in this picture! Clearly! Easily! Even "Kesterson" with the Washington Monument like gravestone way in the back on the right hand side of the photo, or "Bryan" on the brown tombstone way to the rear on the left hand side.

Wow. I want one.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#31. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 30

Thu 29-Mar-12 01:06 PM

All those extra pixels are the reason for this camera's existence. I read so many discussions where the D800 is compared to other Nikons and Canons as to image quality, as if the D800 needs to have amazingly better image quality.

No! That's not the point. The image quality on the D800 is comparable to other fine Nikons and Canons and Sonys, etc. All well-made digital cameras have great image quality these days.

The point of the D800 is not whether it has better noise control than a D700, or is not as fast as a D4. The whole point behind the D800 is one major thing: a gigantic number of pixels, placing the camera soundly in the medium format range of resolution. Cropping is back! Huge prints are easy! Fine art shooting is enhanced.

As long as the image quality is as good as the D700 or D7000, and not worse than any Canon or Sony, I am completely happy. I now have excellent image quality and the highest resolution available in the 35mm-size market, for a reasonable price.

The fact that DxO rates this camera's sensor as the best 35mm sensor on earth today, with a 14.4 EV (stop) dynamic range and superb IQ, is merely icing on the cake!

Sure there are niggly problems, as with all cameras. No camera is perfect for everyone. However, the D800 is the best camera for what it is designed to do, blow all other 35mm cameras out of the water when it comes to resolution.

These may be fighting words for some. However, for the many, it is reality! Buy a D800 for the resolution...

rbeeson

Clearwater, US
253 posts

#32. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 31

Thu 29-Mar-12 02:07 PM

Hi Darrell,

Just downloaded your raw file after installing Camera raw 6.7 Beta.

Wow!! over 200 meg!!! It did slow my computer down to a crawl!!

is their any laptop within reason could handle 200 megs?

I currently have a Mac Book Pro w/Intel 2 core duo!!!

Thanks

Bob

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
441 posts

#33. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 32

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Thu 29-Mar-12 02:38 PM

One more FYI, my computer handled this D800 raw file as easily as it handles my D7000 raw files. I experienced no noticeable system degradation to speak of. Even exported to a jpg in a microsecond.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#34. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 32

Thu 29-Mar-12 04:57 PM

>Hi Darrell,
>
>Just downloaded your raw file after installing Camera raw 6.7
>Beta.
>
>Wow!! over 200 meg!!! It did slow my computer down to a
>crawl!!
>
>is their any laptop within reason could handle 200 megs?
>
>I currently have a Mac Book Pro w/Intel 2 core duo!!!
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob

Bob,

What do you think of the resolution?

David Ching

SG
34 posts

#35. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 34

David Ching Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sat 14-Apr-12 12:01 AM

Hi Darrell,

Have been a reluctant potential buyer of the D800 after just having bought the D700 brand new for USD1950 complete set last Dec. Didn't expect the D800 to be about a thousand dollars more.
Now that we know it's ground-breaking, record shattering abilities,would you recommend me to wait 2-3 years down the road or make a decision to buy either the D800 or D800E.
Appreciate your feedback as I have just booked the Fuji X Pro1 with 2 lenses.

Best,

David C. Singapore

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#36. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 35

Sat 14-Apr-12 12:24 AM

>Hi Darrell,
>
>Have been a reluctant potential buyer of the D800 after just
>having bought the D700 brand new for USD1950 complete set last
>Dec. Didn't expect the D800 to be about a thousand dollars
>more.
>Now that we know it's ground-breaking, record shattering
>abilities,would you recommend me to wait 2-3 years down the
>road or make a decision to buy either the D800 or D800E.
>Appreciate your feedback as I have just booked the Fuji X Pro1
>with 2 lenses.
>
>Best,
>
>David C. Singapore

David,

It sounds to me as though you love cameras as much as photography. That is quite common. I am the same way.

You got a really good deal on the D700. If you did decide to buy a D800 you shouldn't have much trouble getting your money back on the D700.

I feel that the D800 is a camera one can hang onto for many years, at least 10. I bought my D2X in 2004 and have used it all the way until now. The D800 has finally put the old workhorse out to pasture. If I could make a 12 MP camera last 8 years, is it so far fetched to make a 36 MP camera last 10? Camera body longevity is back, my friend. In the old film days one could buy a Nikon pro body and expect it to last for many years, maybe even 20. Digital cameras have been more like computers, with a fairly short lifespan. It's all a matter of perspective. What more do we need from photography that the D800 doesn't deliver. Who needs larger files?

I think you ought to sell extra cameras and buy a D800 body. Then forget everything else except new lenses for 10 years.

David Ching

SG
34 posts

#37. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 36

David Ching Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sat 14-Apr-12 01:02 AM

Talk about instant replies!
Hi Darrell, I am an avid amateur photographer with one too many camera bodies and lenses. Have double and even triple copies of cameras and even lenses that I like. I Iive in two countries you see.
Sound advice about disposing gear. Maybe I should sell my D700. My regular camera dealer in Vietnam offered to buy at US1700. Bought the D700 originally in Malaysia. May keep the D7000 for it's crop factor. Imagine my 1000mm going 1500mm. But then again with the D800, why do we need to use this 'feature'. Then again I almost loathe post processing.
My other dilemma is that I love my Leica set and also Zeiss lenses. Any input here?
I used to dismiss the feedback by others that a DSLR do stir up strong reactions when pointed into the direction of strangers. So for street impromptu shots, the RF cameras and its ilk are unbeatable. For fast action, DSLRs are the way to go.
How does the D800 perform in low light? And the shots straight out of camera, how are they?
I shot mostly portraits and landscapes.

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#38. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 31

rhulbert Team Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter Member
Thu 29-Mar-12 02:22 PM

Excellent Points Darrell,

As consumers, we are so fortunate to have so many choices of Cameras to choose from.
As you know, there is no one camera that is perfect for every photo opportunity or subject.

I, personally, use the images I create for high resolution digitally projected images.
The higher resolution of the D800 will allow someone like me to implement even more enhanced transitional effects such as panning and zooming (Ken Burns Effect) for my educational presentations.

Darrell . . . you are such a polite and gentle person. Are you sure you are not a Canadian?
I love it when you get feisty.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
https://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#39. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 38

Thu 29-Mar-12 03:12 PM

Rick,

I have been reading reviews from so many people, and while many of them are excellent, a few are simply people complaining that the D800 doesn't look or act like their D700 or D3S (or Canon or Sony or Holga).

WHO CARES!

The D800 is a D800, not a D700 or D3S (or D4 or Diana F or Agfa Isolette). Each camera has a personality and features unique to that particular camera. The D800 is a fine camera with tradeoffs in some areas and vastly superior capabilities in others. It was made to give you and me affordable medium-format level photography, not to compete with the D700 or Camera Obscura.

After reading so many reviews I do tend to get feisty. So many reviewers, some of which do not even own a D800, are reviewing it as if it really matters how it compares to some other camera. Thanks for your compliment, I'm not Canadian, but I am a Tennessee hillbilly with a D800.

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#40. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 39

rhulbert Team Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter Member
Thu 29-Mar-12 04:03 PM

Darrell,

After I get my D800E, I would love to compare notes with you. As I shoot Architecture and Cityscapes along with other subjects, it will be interesting to see how it performs.
I will not be comparing it to other cameras as you suggest, but I have been wanting to experience the taste of Medium Format Photography including the deliberative attention to technique that is recommended.

I have had the luxury of being able to fully and consistently enjoy the Leica M9 (an uber-eccentric camera with lots of "tradeoffs" and an 18 megapixel sensor without an AA filter). If there are any D800E images that emerge as appropriate for your book, I will be happy to pass them along for your continued and extended learning experience with this series of camera.

Regards,

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
https://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#41. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 40

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Thu 29-Mar-12 04:30 PM | edited Thu 29-Mar-12 04:36 PM by johno

Before now, I was in the we-must-compare-cameras crowd to determine the "best." Not any more.

I believe with the current exceptional quality of DSLRs, we are way past the point where any one (high quality camera) can be a significant advantage or constraint.

Give Joe McNally any modern higher-end DSLR and he will come back from the field with exceptional captures. I am the limiting factor with any camera. Not the camera.

On the other hand, low light performance is a meaningful factor, but there is little disagreement or need to prove one or the other camera is best at light-gathering vs. noise. That is largely an objective criteria, where anybody with eyes can see a clear difference. If I shoot a lot in low light, of course the camera makes a difference.

Before the D800 launch this forum was full of Lamentations and criticisms re this camera. Now that it is getting exceptional reviews, there are still some who must maintain a critical stance.

I say either buy it and enjoy it, or stick with your current preferred model, and let's get out there and shoot some photos. I love my D800. I feel grateful to see this level of technology at this price point, and I enjoy having such a powerful tool. For people who prefer a different choice I wish them well, but have zero need to compare.

Criticism of people sharing their results and enthusiasm as being "inadequate" is borderline rude, and perhaps even an adult version of the schoolboy's contest to see who has the nicest clothes or car.

Who here upon seeing their neighbor drive home with their shiny new car would say "let's compare which car is better than your car"? Why not extend the same courtesy to each other here?

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#42. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 40

Thu 29-Mar-12 04:39 PM

Rick,

I'm greatly looking forward to seeing your work with your D800E. Not many responses yet to the "call for images" thread, but that's because there are few D800s around right now.

The Leica M9 looks like a fine camera, but whooooo those prices!

af4nc

Yardley, US
3194 posts

#43. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

af4nc Registered since 07th Jul 2007
Thu 29-Mar-12 08:31 AM

Great comparison Darrell, I just got the D800 and shot some dragon flies with the 80-400. I have better lens but was traveling in the Caribbean this week. Great camera

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#44. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 43

akers Registered since 10th Aug 2004
Thu 29-Mar-12 06:47 PM

Tom, if you don't mind I would love to see your dragonfly shots. I fully expect the 80-400 and Sigma 150-500 will not do justice to the D800 but you never can tell. Thanks and enjoy ... mine will be here some day. Maybe enough people will cancel their orders that I can move up on the list.

jb335

Richmond, US
58 posts

#45. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 44

jb335 Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011
Thu 29-Mar-12 10:31 PM

+1 on seeing your dragonfly shots!!!

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#46. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 45

mdonovan Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 30-Mar-12 11:19 AM

+2 on the dragonflies.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

JBS101

Canberra, AU
596 posts

#47. "RE: Example of Nikon D800 Resolution" | In response to Reply # 0

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009
Mon 16-Apr-12 08:21 PM

Darrell,

Thanks for posting this. My laptop (Toshiba Quad core, 6GB ram, 64 bit) handles the files with ease. It took about 2.5 minutes to download from your site.

Regards,

John

G