Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700

nathantw

US
184 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Wed 11-Apr-12 04:15 PM | edited Wed 11-Apr-12 05:24 PM by nathantw

Now here's a great example of something you couldn't do with a D700 or any other DSLR. This isn't my picture but it sure shows you extreme details, even if you zoom in on the jet that's flying overhead. With the D700 I was only able to zoom in about 3/4 of the way before things started looking blurry, but on this camera you can zoom in all the way. Amazing.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/102563

As a comparison, here's one I took with a Nikkor 400mm on a D700:
http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/58831

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Wed 11-Apr-12 02:39 PM

Thats awesome !!!

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

pastordcraig Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2011
Wed 11-Apr-12 03:02 PM

That's really incredible. Reminds me of the satellite photos on Google Earth-- you can just keep zooming closer, and closer . . . . Can anyone else find the sun bather?

jhpani

Cancun, MX
413 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 2

jhpani Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2007
Thu 12-Apr-12 09:48 PM

pastordcraig!!!

you made me "waste" about 20 minutes looking for the sunbather that otherwise I would have never looked for!!!

(btw thanks, great "waste of time)

great image!!!

Humberto┬┤s, proud nikonian in Cancun, Mexico

"The important thing is never to stop questioning."~Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."~Yoda

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 3

pastordcraig Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2011
Sun 15-Apr-12 01:23 PM

I'm so glad I could contribute to your day. I was wondering if anyone would do some pixel "peeping" with a sunbather as bait. Of course, I'm not suggesting that you're some kind of pervert or anything like that.

Seriously, the resolution is wonderful. I think a lot of folks missed the point of the original post. The fact that the image was a Gigapan wasn't the issue-- of course you can produce a Gigapan with a D700-- we all understand that. That it's possible to zoom in on a photo like this and find someone working on their suntan from that far away (and recognize them if you knew them!) is what's amazing. If we were to look at the same image produced with only 1/3 the resolution of the D800, I'm pretty sure all that could have been seen was a handful of flesh colored squares. THAT was the point of the post. Unless, I'm wrong of course . . . it happened once before . . . back in '78.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Wed 11-Apr-12 03:17 PM | edited Wed 11-Apr-12 03:19 PM by AreBee

Nathan,

>Now here's a great example of something you couldn't do with a D700 or any other DSLR<

Sorry to disappoint you, but this image could just as easily have been captured with a D700 or any other DSLR.

It is a 3.22 Gigapixel stitched panorama. All else being equal, the only advantage the D800 has over other DSLRs is that it requires less images to achieve the same resolution.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

infamily

Petaluma, US
227 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 5

infamily Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2009
Wed 11-Apr-12 03:23 PM

Thank you, I was hoping someone will get to bottom of this and expose the truth. Now my NAS can be controlled again for a short while.
Sandeep

Sandeep B
So much to learn, so little time.

visit
my Nikonians gallery.

nathantw

US
184 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 11-Apr-12 03:30 PM | edited Wed 11-Apr-12 03:48 PM by nathantw

>Nathan,
>
>>Now here's a great example of something you couldn't do
>with a D700 or any other DSLR<
>
>Sorry to disappoint you, but this image could just as easily
>have been captured with a D700 or any other DSLR.
>
>It is a 3.22 Gigapixel stitched panorama. All else being
>equal, the only advantage the D800 has over other DSLRs is
>that it requires less images to achieve the same resolution.

He's able to do this with "lesser" equipment, so that should count as something. In fact, if you can shoot at a lower magnification lens it'll shorten your time sitting there taking a Gigapan. For example, instead of it taking 20 minutes to shoot the pictures it'll take 10. That make a HUGE difference.

Here's my shot taken with a D700 and a Nikkor 400mm lens. You can zoom in and it's pretty detailed, but nothing like the D800. http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/58831

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 11-Apr-12 03:54 PM | edited Wed 11-Apr-12 04:03 PM by AreBee

Nathan,

>Here's my shot taken with a D700 and a Nikkor 400mm lens. You can zoom in and it's pretty detailed, but nothing like the D800.<

Are you under the impression that the panorama in the link you provided is a single image (cropped into a rectangle) shot with a D800? If so, you are mistaken. It is comprised of 322 individual D800 images stitched together into one composite image of enormous resolution (3.22 Gigapixels).

EDIT: Ignore the above. I see from your edited original post that you are well aware that it is a stitched panorama. Also, the value of 322 above refers erroneously to your D700 stitched panorama (I think). Nevertheless, the D800 panorama is likely to be comprised of a very significant number of individual images.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

nathantw

US
184 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 11-Apr-12 04:13 PM

I actually wanted to get a D800 so I can make detailed Gigapans with the 400mm lens attached. I thought that would be so great. In fact, I might still do that whenever I aquire the camera.

I've been making Gigapans for a few years now, so I know what's involved. A few years ago, before they updated the stitching software, it would take literally days to stitch together all the pictures. Nowadays the software takes advantage of multi-core processors so the pictures get stitched in what feels like no time at all. It's quite amazing.

I'd actually be interested to know what type of lens that person with the D800 used.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 11-Apr-12 04:18 PM

Nathan,

>A few years ago, before they updated the stitching software, it would take literally days to stitch together all the pictures. Nowadays the software takes advantage of multi-core processors so the pictures get stitched in what feels like no time at all. It's quite amazing.<

Agreed.

Presumably you use a motorized panoramic head and let the software stitch automatically (given the huge number of images)?

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

nathantw

US
184 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 11-Apr-12 04:50 PM

Funny you should ask that as I have a couple pictures right here.
I used a Gigapan Epic 100. An Epic Pro would be better (and I'd be able to throw a TC-301 on the lens giving me 800mm) but I'm one that doesn't like attracting attention and the Epic 100 already does that...in droves. The Epic Pro being much larger would be like bees to honey with people.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/6723677991/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/6723666451/in/photostream/

>Nathan,
>
>>A few years ago, before they updated the stitching
>software, it would take literally days to stitch together all
>the pictures. Nowadays the software takes advantage of
>multi-core processors so the pictures get stitched in what
>feels like no time at all. It's quite amazing.<
>
>Agreed.
>
>Presumably you use a motorized panoramic head and let the
>software stitch automatically (given the huge number of
>images)?

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 11-Apr-12 05:34 PM

Nathan,

>...I have a couple pictures right here.<

Interesting setup. Thanks for showing.

Are you able to shoot in portrait orientation for even greater resolution panoramas? Also, how do you address errors in the blend? I appreciate that geometric distortion will be negligible at 400mm focal length, so the stitch is likely perfect, but for the kind of subject you shoot, presumably you still encounter movement of people/cars etc between adjacent frames from time to time (frequently?), regardless of the speed of the head at shooting.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

nathantw

US
184 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 12

Wed 11-Apr-12 06:19 PM

The plate that the camera sits on top of only has a horizontal position so I can't reposition the camera. The Gigapan isn't made for portrait oriented photos so there might be errors. When setting up the Gigapan initially it asks where the top and the bottom of the frame are and it extrapolates your focal length and how many frames it should take.

There are a lot of movements when the pictures are being taken. When photos of the same scene are stitched together sometimes there's a "ghost" or something or someone that had moved between the two frames. The software sometimes can eliminate those ghosts, but not always. It takes a little work to get the person/persons/subject that you want to be in the frame or not.

The widest focal length I've ever used the Gigapan with was about 150mm. Some people have used a 50mm or 85mm and in extreme cases for special effects a fisheye lens. I think 85mm is the minimum though. That minimizes the distortions that may pop up.

It's a pretty nice way to spend some time in one location. However, it does take a LONG time. There are times that I've gotten impatient and just snapped the photos manually. My longest shot would have taken over 2 hours and I had to kill it after 40 minutes because the sky had changed and the crowd around me was growing and growing. It didn't help that I was at Yosemite's most famous picture taking spot. The resulting Gigapan is on the site and it came out okay, though I would have liked a complete picture. Maybe another time.

>Nathan,
>
>>...I have a couple pictures right here.<
>
>Interesting setup. Thanks for showing.
>
>Are you able to shoot in portrait orientation for even greater
>resolution panoramas? Also, how do you address errors in the
>blend? I appreciate that geometric distortion will be
>negligible at 400mm focal length, so the stitch is likely
>perfect, but for the kind of subject you shoot, presumably you
>still encounter movement of people/cars etc between adjacent
>frames from time to time (frequently?), regardless of the
>speed of the head at shooting.

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
743 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 9

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Thu 12-Apr-12 04:23 PM

>I actually wanted to get a D800 so I can make detailed
>Gigapans with the 400mm lens attached. I thought that would be
>so great. In fact, I might still do that whenever I aquire the
>camera.
>
>I've been making Gigapans for a few years now, so I know
>what's involved. A few years ago, before they updated the
>stitching software, it would take literally days to stitch
>together all the pictures. Nowadays the software takes
>advantage of multi-core processors so the pictures get
>stitched in what feels like no time at all. It's quite
>amazing.
>
>I'd actually be interested to know what type of lens that
>person with the D800 used.

In the link it states the photo(s) are with a 28-300mm, not particularly considered to be a sharp lens.

nathantw

US
184 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 14

Thu 12-Apr-12 05:08 PM | edited Thu 12-Apr-12 05:10 PM by nathantw

>In the link it states the photo(s) are with a 28-300mm, not
>particularly considered to be a sharp lens.

Really? I couldn't find that info anywhere. Ah, I see he just updated his description. Well, as I've stated in other messages that lens is pretty sharp when stopped down. As said before I found the 28-300 sharper than my Hasselblad 180mm lens at the same focal length and f/stop (comparisons are in my gallery).

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 15

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Thu 12-Apr-12 06:24 PM

OK...I AM amazed. And here is a stupid question. Can you take just one picture on the D800 or whatever...and still zoom with the same efficiency and effectiveness and to the same degree he does there?
Did I say this is AMAZING..

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

nathantw

US
184 posts

#17. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 16

Sat 14-Apr-12 02:24 PM

>OK...I AM amazed. And here is a stupid question. Can you take
>just one picture on the D800 or whatever...and still zoom with
>the same efficiency and effectiveness and to the same degree
>he does there?
>Did I say this is AMAZING..

I have a Gigapan that was just one shot, 28-300 lens and the photo was seriously cropped. I think the D800 would have been much, much sharper. So to answer your question, yes, I think you can.

This was taken with my D700. If you've been in my Nikonian gallery this picture will look familiar. http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/63810

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#18. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 17

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sat 14-Apr-12 03:26 PM

The Gigapan Epic Pro is surprisingly cheap considering what it does. http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/GigaPan-EPIC-Pro-for-DLSR-Cameras.html

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#19. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 15-Apr-12 12:11 PM

What an excellent use for a manual focus 400mm! Really cool stuff

What make/model of tripod do you find you need?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nathantw

US
184 posts

#20. "RE: D800 Extreme resolution - you really can't do this with a D700" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 16-Apr-12 02:34 PM | edited Mon 16-Apr-12 10:24 PM by nathantw

Hi,
I use a Gitzo 224 Reporter and a Bogen 3D head. I found it to be one of the most versatile heads out there. The downside is it's heavy. The entire tripod and head is about 6 pounds, but it holds over 15 pounds of stuff. Very handy.

Nathan

>What an excellent use for a manual focus 400mm! Really cool
>stuff
>
>What make/model of tripod do you find you need?
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
>'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see
>without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
>My
>Nikonians gallery>
>
My Nikonians Blog

G