Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Mon 16-Jul-12 07:23 PM

I presently own a D5100 with the DX 55-200 f4.5, DX 18-55 f3.5 and the Tamron AF 200-500 f5.
I have just started my photo business and am considering purchasing a dx 800. I shoot mainly nature, animal portraits (pets), engagements,(no weddings)
My questions are:
will my lenses work in the FX body and if so will there be limitations
Is the 800e,worth the extra 300, should I skip the 800 and go with a 700, or 7000?

Last but not least,what prime lens should I buy for portraits?

Thanks to all, never knew this was going to cost so much. Selling off my former hobby, a very expensive stereo to fund the business.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#1. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 0

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Mon 16-Jul-12 05:41 PM

You DX's will work with the D800, but only in DX Crop mode.

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

greenwing

Yorkshire, UK
1304 posts

#2. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 1

greenwing Registered since 18th May 2006
Mon 16-Jul-12 06:24 PM

>You DX's will work with the D800, but only in DX Crop mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't they work in any mode, if with severe vignetting? I like to think that DX on FX cameras gives more options for cropping in post if you shoot in FX mode, but maybe I'm just a dreamer. I don't have an FX camera, though I do have a 35mm Nikon.

Chris

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#3. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 17-Jul-12 04:46 AM

Yes you will have the limitations of using a DX lens on a FX body. You can either shoot in DX mode reducing image size in both dimension and file size. You may also find more distortion and other less than ideal image quality.

Or you can shoot in FX and have to crop every photo.

Since you have just started a business, how long will it take you to earn and pay for the D800? Even if you buy a D700 or D7000 the same consideration needs to be given.

Have you considered the other expenses that will be involved? How long will it take to earn what all the other associated expenses will be? It is a very poor business principle to buy more than your business can afford.

What is in your bsuness plan?

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#4. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 3

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 17-Jul-12 05:37 AM

Another take on the same concept: Buy what gives a greater increase in income than the cost of acquisition. In this case, it would be a very rare small begging business that would justify a D800 investment, along with the lenses, that a D5100 or D7000 could not do.
Photography is one of the cheapest businesses to start due to low capital investment and inventory needs but it is also a low success rate business for lots of reasons, partly due to the low entry barrier attract those who wish to turn their hobby into a business. Hobbyists do not make good business risks generally because the tools are focused on instead of the business considerations. The business of business is business and few people who are good cooks make good cafe or restaurant owners, few hobbyist artists make good art professionals.
Are you sure you have a realistic view of what business skills and knowledge is required to run a successful photography business? The exact same skills and interests make a success of any sort of business. The terms and buzz words are different but what works and does not work, what is effective and desirable as perceived by clients are things that have little to do with the craft or hobby aspect of an avocation.
Put it down on paper all the positive indicators and all the negative indicators in two columns. If the negative column is not twice as long as the positive column, you have not thought it through enough. Reality is sided with the negative and knowing it and resolving those factors on a daily basis is what separates the 8% who last 5 years from the rest who do not.
Not trying to be a dampener of you enthusiasm but the questions posed indicates a better chance of success would be achieved by apprenticing yourself for a couple years to a successful photographer to learn the market, customer service, the techniques that sell, promotion etc.
Good luck....just do not spend money on things that does not return more than it costs. A D5100 would be more than enough camera for your lenses and with creative use of light, return a profit a year or two before FX gear will.
If you had asked if the D800 would be a good camera for a hobbyists who does not need to have it turn a profit, I would have been the first to say "Go for it!"
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#5. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 17-Jul-12 01:47 PM

Hi Chris,

You are correct.
When Auto DX Crop mode is Off, the camera will capture an FX, 1.2x, DX, or 5:4 sized image depending on the option chosen in "Choose Image Area" in the camera menu regardless of the type of lens mounted on the camera.

When Auto DX Crop mode is On, the camera will crop the image to DX when a DX lens is mounted on the camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#6. "RE: Advice needed" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 17-Jul-12 02:56 PM

Hi Wayne,

A lot depends on your budget.
While your 18-55mm and 55-200mm will work on an FX body, shooting in DX crop mode will provide 15MP images on the D800 and 5MP images on the D700.
That said, Lenses are a much better investment than camera bodies.
If you decide on getting the D800 or a D700 you will have to invest in new lenses with the exception of your Tamron. Keep in mind as. Pro, you will need back up equipment (camera body, lenses, Speedlight, memory cards, etc...). Add to that Photo Editing software and hardware if your system is old.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G