Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?

oeksen37

Copenhagen V, DK
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
oeksen37 Basic Member
Thu 22-Mar-12 03:53 PM

Being these days in a waiting situation like a lot of others, who are looking forward to receive their D800. In this situation I am putting myself the question whether I should settle for a NIKKOR 24-70mm zoom lens OR the 24-120mm lens, both to be used as a walk-around lens with the D800. Amongst my local friends there are various opinions about the two lenses. What are the strong points of the two types of lenses, and is there an obvious favourite to settle for as the first investment on the lens side - I AM aware of the price difference. Would be most obliged for any hint from those of your having used the two lenses in practise, thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Apoplexia

NL
7 posts

#1. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Apoplexia Registered since 14th Mar 2012
Thu 22-Mar-12 03:24 PM

I have no idea, i would like to know the same!

between 70-200 vrII and 300 f4 , or maybe a budget lens like 70-300 vr?

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#2. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Thu 22-Mar-12 03:50 PM

I would go with the 24-120. Given its greater range, lower price, and lighter weight and frankly, the difference in image quality is imperceptible to me. For an everyday walk around lens, I think that is the better choice.

By the way, it is interesting that the first pictures from Japan of D800 delivery show a box that is a D800 kit with the 28-300VR. I have that also and like it a lot for a walk around lens. Interesting that Nikon has enough confidence in that lens to bundle it with this camera.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Apoplexia

NL
7 posts

#3. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 22-Mar-12 05:24 PM

Hmmm , i dunno the 28-300 is poorly rated on photozone.de

I know it's not wise 2 just accept such reviews, but if i spend that much money on a lens i want it to be the best lens i can get for that money

the 70-300 vr looks better on paper then the 28-300
Seems like quite a high price to pay for the versatility

I'd like a 70-200 VRII , i hope they have them in stock!

Is it allowed to curse here and ask if anyone has good experience on full frame with sigma?

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#4. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 22-Mar-12 06:12 PM

I am not going to try to sell you on the 28-300 because I have all the other lenses you mention and they are all good. But, take a look at this gallery (http://www.pbase.com/lmmiller9/image/134390488) most of which were shot with this lens and in very different and difficult light situations. I think its a darn good walk around lens. It is probably not the best lens for any one situation, but when you are walking around, as I was at this bluegrass festival, it does the job very well.

But, if you have doubts, go with the 24-120. That is a great lens. I virtually never use my 24-70 anymore. But... that is just me.

DF/D810

Apoplexia

NL
7 posts

#5. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 22-Mar-12 06:39 PM

yes sorry , i did not want to sound insulting or anything towards the lens.

and im sure you can take great pictures with it.
But personally i do not really need less then 70mm, i'd wish there was a new version of 80-400, since any prime is well out of of my budget, the only option i have left is 300mm f4 or 70-200 2.8, with either 1.4 or 2III converter if i need the extra reach

oeksen37

Copenhagen V, DK
73 posts

#6. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 5

oeksen37 Basic Member
Thu 22-Mar-12 06:58 PM

>yes sorry , i did not want to sound insulting or anything
>towards the lens.
>
>and im sure you can take great pictures with it.
>But personally i do not really need less then 70mm, i'd wish
>there was a new version of 80-400, since any prime is well out
>of of my budget, the only option i have left is 300mm f4 or
>70-200 2.8, with either 1.4 or 2III converter if i need the
>extra reach

...Dear friends, the answers so far provided to me seem to have developed into an interaction between 3.rd parts rather than bringing me something useful, however, "LMMiller9", thanks to you for your more regular and precise answer to my question....however, it would indeed be nice to receive a few more contributions...

rodantking

US
93 posts

#7. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 6

rodantking Registered since 14th Feb 2012
Thu 22-Mar-12 07:39 PM

>...Dear friends, the answers so far provided to me seem to
>have developed into an interaction between 3.rd parts rather
>than bringing me something useful, however,
>"LMMiller9", thanks to you for your more regular and
>precise answer to my question....however, it would indeed be
>nice to receive a few more contributions...

I'm guessing you didn't get your 800 today. I guessing this because I didn't and I'm cranky as hell

rivercityrocker

Austin, US
12 posts

#8. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 7

rivercityrocker Registered since 25th Jan 2012
Thu 22-Mar-12 08:07 PM

I got mine today and all I have to say is that this camera pushes your lenses to the limit. I wouldn't even think about putting a kit lens on this camera.

I tried the 50mm f/1.4G, no good.
The 14-24mm f/2.8G is just OK.
24mm f/2.8 non-D is actually quite sharp. (It's always been known as one of Nikon's sharpest).
I haven't tried my 28-70 f/2.8D yet, but I don't think it's going to be as sharp as I hope it will be.

Still running some tests, but my opinion so far is if you don't wanna buy all new pro glass, you will NOT like this camera.

I'm probably taking mine back and waiting for the D4. I used one for a bit last weekend. MUCH better camera for my needs.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#9. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 22-Mar-12 08:12 PM

That report surprises me. The 14-24mm just OK? Really?

Are you sure the issue is simply something about how you have it set up or are using it? I'll receive mine tomorrow morning and look forward to testing it. I will try the 14-24mm on it, which by every account is a terrific lens.

DF/D810

rivercityrocker

Austin, US
12 posts

#10. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 22-Mar-12 08:30 PM | edited Thu 22-Mar-12 08:30 PM by rivercityrocker

I've owned the 14-24mm since it came out. It was terrific on every other camera. I'm pretty sure I know how to use and setup a camera I've written 13 books on Nikon cameras and I've owned every DSLR since the D1.

I tested the lens at 14, 18, and 24 at all apertures. Unless you shoot at f/11, things look mediocre at full-res. especially in the corners. If you downsize to 18MP it's better but at 36MP you're stretching it.

Vhemi

Vancouver, CA
222 posts

#11. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 10

Vhemi Registered since 24th Jun 2009
Fri 23-Mar-12 04:30 AM

Did you test the 14-24mm on a tripod? I can't imagine Nikon actually listing it as a lens recommended for the D800 and the lens itself coming up short in terms of sharpness and performance.

Thom Hogan's latest Blog had a few pertinent observations appropos to this thread:

"is a D800 any more averse to hand holding than a D7000? By Thom Hogan

"Nikon's technical paper on the D800--which warned about shot discipline--plus the comments of others, including some here on bythom, have scared a few potential D800 users. A few should be scared. You shouldn't be spending US$3000 for something to make casual snapshots with. You don't need a D800 for that, and you might find that you've chosen a bigger hammer than you're comfortable lifting if you approach photography casually. Most of the rest of us shouldn't be scared, at all."

http://www.bythom.com/

...the D800 has almost exactly the same pixel density as a D7000. If you can get sharp shots with a D7000, you'll be able to do so with a D800, especially if we put the same lens on and just look at the central area of the shot, where all lenses perform best.

The notion some people have that the D800 can't be handheld is wrong. It can. It just takes the same level of technique that D7000 users have had to attain.

rivercityrocker

Austin, US
12 posts

#12. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 11

Fri 23-Mar-12 05:46 AM

You can take Thom Hogan's guesses if you want. It doesn't really matter to me. All I'm offering is my observations as a pro photographer who is actually PAID to write books about Nikon cameras. Thom has his own ideas, but nobody is knocking down his doors to write books are they?

I'm not gonna argue this any further. I know what I know, I see what I see.

Buy the camera and make your own observations. As for me, mine is going back. It's a great camera for studio work, but not a camera for the laymen. It's got too much resolution. It's not for me. The D4 will make better use of my lenses.

But heed my words, when you use kit lenses you are going to be disappointed.

The D7000 pixel density doesn't even count, because the processing is completely different.

Listen to Thom Hogan and Ken Rockwell. SEO is KING.

Vhemi

Vancouver, CA
222 posts

#13. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 12

Vhemi Registered since 24th Jun 2009
Fri 23-Mar-12 12:40 PM

For someone who writes books (and I've written two best sellers myself) it doesn't seem like you actually read Thom Hogan's article, who also just happens to write Nikon technical Guides for some 36 cameras...

And since when has a 14-24mm been considered a kit lens?

rivercityrocker

Austin, US
12 posts

#14. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 23-Mar-12 02:29 PM

You must have misread. I never said the 14-24 was a "kit lens". I was referring to the OP asking about the 24-120 f/4.

Yeah Thom has written guides. All self-published on the web. Ken Rockwell writes "guides" too.

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#15. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 10

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Fri 23-Mar-12 04:56 PM

Hello Dennis,

>I've owned every DSLR since the D1.<

>I've owned the 14-24mm since it came out. It was terrific on every other camera.<

>I tested the lens at 14, 18, and 24 at all apertures. Unless you shoot at f/11, things look mediocre at full-res. especially in the corners. If you downsize to 18MP it's better but at 36MP you're stretching it.<

You consider results obtained from a 14-24mm and D3x to be "terrific", yet downsizing a D800 image to a resolution (18MP) not insigificantly lower than the D3x (24MP) returns only "better" quality images. How can this be?

>The D7000 pixel density doesn't even count, because the processing is completely different.<

Can you elaborate on the above statement please? In what way(s) does the processing differ between a D7000 and D800?

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

rivercityrocker

Austin, US
12 posts

#16. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 15

Fri 23-Mar-12 05:35 PM

Let me amend that statement then, The D3X is the one camera I didn't buy. Didn't need it for what I shoot. So I've never used the 14-24 on the D3X.

As far as the D7000 goes. The processing runs NR automatically even when it's set to off. It also sharpens images in camera. This goes for ALL files, even RAW. It's processed out that way.

And as much as I'd love to argue these points all day, I have work to do.

The problem with internet forums is people like to sit around and theorize all day. I was out SHOOTING with the D800, you can disagree with me all you want, I'm just offering up why impressions of my real world experience with the D800.

Go make some test shots. I'm outta this discussion.

aay

CA
172 posts

#17. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 16

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Fri 23-Mar-12 05:48 PM

Well, I hope you are not out of the discussion yet!

You and me are in completely different boats. You are a pro and I'm just learning, but I wanted to have an FX camera for a while now. Waiting for D800. Now I'm not sure what to do. Reading too many things related to how this camera could be a too much for most applications. And I like shooting landscapes, portraits, urban. Just for fun and for myself mostly.

What would you do if you were me? Still get it but be prepared to spend a lot on glass, go with a used D700 (which is old and I don't want to spend 2.5K on a camera few years old - it's all electronics and software and that gets obsolete very fast), or switch camps to Canon and get new 5DMk3?

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#18. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 17

Fri 23-Mar-12 06:02 PM

aay,

I am also an amateur and after shooting for a few hours with this camera and just using the 24-120 f4 lens, I am comfortable saying that there is absolutely no reason to be intimidated by this camera. It is, in fact, easy to use.

People confuse capability with complexity. It is highly capable, but really not complex or complicated to use and just walking around shooting it works just like the D700. I do think that VR lenses will help with this camera.

Just my opinion.

DF/D810

aay

CA
172 posts

#19. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 23-Mar-12 06:28 PM

Thanks for your reply! I guess my concern is related mostly to talks about diffraction limits that the sensor has, plus the fact that only high quality glass can do this camera justice. So I started second guessing my choice.

And you were saying that you actually prefer 24-120 to 24-70? Because I'm moving form DX and will need to buys FX lenses now. My first choice was 24-70 as it is highly regarded by a lot of people online.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#20. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 19

Sat 24-Mar-12 10:32 AM

I guess you are asking me. Yes, if I were to buy one lens I would by the 24-120 and not the 24-70. Why? Because the difference in image quality is imperceptible, because of the greater range, and it is lighter, and it is VRII, which on the D800 will make a difference. Not to mention the better price. And, none of that denies that the 24-70 is a great lens. Frankly, since I got the 24-120 I haven't used the 24-70 except to do some tests. The 24-120 has been my most used lens on my D700 and I don't think that will change with the D800.

If I were to get three lenses to use on the D800 it would be the 24-120, the 70-200 f2.8 VRII, and the 1.4 35mm. Those would cover 95% of my shooting. But... that is just me.

DF/D810

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#21. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 17

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sun 25-Mar-12 04:06 AM

He's out yes, working on projects with deadline.

HTH's

Rob

AreBee

Inverness, UK
531 posts

#22. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 16

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008
Fri 23-Mar-12 06:16 PM

Dennis,

>And as much as I'd love to argue these points all day, I have work to do.<

I was not aware you and I were having an argument. I'm sorry you consider that we were.

>...you can disagree with me all you want, I'm just offering up why impressions of my real world experience with the D800.<

You will not find any disagreement from me in my previous post.

For the record, I am interested in learning of your real world experience. I could live without the accusations though.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#23. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 16

Sat 24-Mar-12 02:51 PM

SXSW, busy lad.

aerobat

Büren, CH
329 posts

#24. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 10

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006
Sat 31-Mar-12 05:40 PM | edited Sat 31-Mar-12 05:41 PM by aerobat

How are you going to finish your Nikon D800/D800E Digital Field Guide without a camera on hands?

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#25. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 10

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 05-Apr-12 05:46 PM

>I've owned the 14-24mm since it came out. It was terrific on
>every other camera. I'm pretty sure I know how to use and
>setup a camera I've written 13 books on Nikon cameras and I've
>owned every DSLR since the D1.
>
>I tested the lens at 14, 18, and 24 at all apertures. Unless
>you shoot at f/11, things look mediocre at full-res.
>especially in the corners. If you downsize to 18MP it's better
>but at 36MP you're stretching it.

Perhaps he is experiencing this problem 3 posters in this thread are having with the 14-24 on the D800:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41131912

Seems like it MIGHT be a hardware issue...???

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#26. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 25

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Thu 05-Apr-12 08:47 PM | edited Thu 05-Apr-12 08:56 PM by jpFoto

Steve

I don't think that you can summarily dismiss Dennis. Before I took back what I considered to be a defective D800,I took a number of shots with a few of my lenses, and although I felt that the 14-24 was stellar, my favorate 50, the AF-S 50mm 1.4G was not. I put it on the block, but now that I've extracted myself from the D800, I may keep it.

I don't think that his opinions are the "end all," but he knows a lot more than me and few other people who have trashed him here. But, let's wait until KR gives us some real direction.

jP

OldTowner

US
1 posts

#27. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 8

OldTowner Registered since 26th Dec 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:59 AM

>Still running some tests, but my opinion so far is if you
>don't wanna buy all new pro glass, you will NOT like this
>camera.
>
Are you aware that every camera and lens can have slight focus errors? Without good calibration, your observation is just limited to your camera and lens. Hard to believe you write "books" and making such amateurish comments. "new pro glass", which is that? I think most people buying D800 already have some pro glasses.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#28. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 8

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:57 PM

>I tried the 50mm f/1.4G, no good.
>The 14-24mm f/2.8G is just OK.

This is contrary to published photos by Benjamin Antony Monn, Cliff Mautner, Jim Brandenburg, Rob Van Petten and Muga Miyahara.

I've had the opportunity to use a D800 for about 100 shots using a 14-24,24-70, and a push/pull 80-200mm f/2.8. All were phenomenal! However this is the first camera I've used where you can easily see the difference between the push-pull and the 70-200mm VRII.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

dralph

Elmira, US
288 posts

#29. "Two experiences with 14-24mm now only average" | In response to Reply # 8

dralph Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006
Thu 05-Apr-12 10:37 AM | edited Thu 05-Apr-12 10:40 AM by dralph

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/04/05/and-the-nikon-d800-autofocus-saga-continues-with-some-comments-on-specific-lens-performance/

Ming Thein has similar report on the 14-24 no longer being the wonder lens we had for 12Mpix. Also wide angle auto-focus issue being reported by several sources for that lens and others.

I love my 14-24mm, but it is apparently not all things to all cameras. Poop. It is what it is.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#30. "RE: Two experiences with 14-24mm now only average" | In response to Reply # 29

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Thu 05-Apr-12 11:30 AM

>http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/04/05/and-the-nikon-d800-autofocus-saga-continues-with-some-comments-on-specific-lens-performance/
>
>Ming Thein has similar report on the 14-24 no longer being the
>wonder lens we had for 12Mpix. Also wide angle auto-focus
>issue being reported by several sources for that lens and
>others.
>
>I love my 14-24mm, but it is apparently not all things to all
>cameras. Poop. It is what it is.

I wouldn't worry too much, because as Ming Thein states in a reply to one of this readers, "If you rely on the AF confirmation dot, you still see the problem because that uses the AF system. If I focus manually with live view, no, I don’t see any issues with wide angles."

Does that simply mean that Ming Thein has not yet learned how to best use the new D800 AF system only a couple of weeks into his ownership of the D800? I'd say that's more likely than anything related to an AF problem.

No doubt there are always brand new (really early) samples with defects. Ming Thein states that his sources report that the factory is tweaking something on the line, which is great. But let's not lose sight of the fact that Ming Thein was talking about (as he stated in his post) some D800 bodies with serial numbers under 1000!

Uber-early adopters get to be guinea pigs. No amount of conventional advance field testing of prototypes can possible equal the depth and breadth of use and testing by thousands and thousands of pro consumers in the first few weeks of a new body release. The wheat gets separated from the chaff real fast when a popular new body hits the streets and studios in big numbers.

For all you non-pro pre-order folks pining for your D800, be happy that the first production runs went to NPS members. The cameras you receive now and going forward will have a continually decreasing percentage of issues (if any at all).

Ming Thein is an excellent horology/wristwatch photographer. Check out his tutorial/recommendations for watch shooting on his web site.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#31. "RE: Two experiences with 14-24mm now only average" | In response to Reply # 30

akers Registered since 10th Aug 2004
Thu 05-Apr-12 12:28 PM

Ming's a pretty sharp guy, I like reading his articles. It will be interesting to see how the wide angle focus issues play out. I am looking forward to trying my 14-24 on the D800 (10 days to the projected ship date.) It works great on my D3s so it is not the end of the world but resolving the issue would be nice.

It was also nice to read that the 24-70 and 70-200 VRII worked quite well in his testing. Those are my two workhorses.

dralph

Elmira, US
288 posts

#32. "RE: Two experiences with 14-24mm now only average" | In response to Reply # 29

dralph Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006
Thu 05-Apr-12 08:50 PM

Now that I think about it a bit more, I seem to recall that Lloyd Chambers (digital Lloyd, diglloyd.com) remarked in his review that the 14-24mm had an issue with a focus shift on stopping down, and that it was possible to have a sharp center and then lose it to sharpness at the side of the image at the cost of center sharpness. Something to do with the plane of focus (at the sensor) not being flat or the like.

I no longer subscribe to his materials. Maybe someone else remembers. Perhaps this sensor has the ability to show such a phenomenon better than more coarse sensors.

jolytoka

Reston, US
16 posts

#33. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 3

jolytoka Registered since 21st Feb 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 08:08 PM

>Hmmm , i dunno the 28-300 is poorly rated on photozone.de
>
>I know it's not wise 2 just accept such reviews, but if i
>spend that much money on a lens i want it to be the best lens
>i can get for that money
>
>the 70-300 vr looks better on paper then the 28-300
>Seems like quite a high price to pay for the versatility
>
>I'd like a 70-200 VRII , i hope they have them in stock!
>
>Is it allowed to curse here and ask if anyone has good
>experience on full frame with sigma?

jolytoka

You asked about Sigma. I have a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and have used it on Nikon D700 and D7000 bodies. On a tripod, I've also used a 2x teleconverter (which must be a Sigma, not a Nikon). I'm an amateur shooter and my experience with this Sigma lens is limited, but so far I like it.

psf914

Traverse City, US
3063 posts

#34. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

psf914 Registered since 10th Oct 2007
Thu 22-Mar-12 08:09 PM

I can only speak for the 24-120 f4 because I've shot with it now for a few months and I love it. It's a great hand held lens, takes beautiful sharp photos and for me ... even on a DX format camera, the D300S... it's been wide enough for most of the shots I've wanted.On the D800 it will give you an even better perspective. I can show you examples if you like... good luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

oeksen37

Copenhagen V, DK
73 posts

#35. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 34

oeksen37 Basic Member
Fri 23-Mar-12 05:13 AM

Fantastic, finally I GOT an answer to my question, thanks a lot, Peter, for your precise evaluation of the 24-120mm lens. Not, that I don't appreciate the other meanings about OTHER lenses, but they did not reply to my question...

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#36. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 35

Fri 23-Mar-12 05:47 PM

If you are still interested in the 24-120f4 on the D800 take a look at my shots walking around Annapolis. I think that lens is just fine on the D800, particularly as a walk around lens.

DF/D810

aay

CA
172 posts

#37. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 34

Fri 23-Mar-12 05:41 PM

Hrmm.. Using a lens on FX actually requires more from the same lens used on DX. Most lenses are sharp in the center and that's what you get with DX. And that's only part of it. Read on about high MP of D800 and how that requires an exceptional 'glass' to resolve to image.

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#38. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Fri 23-Mar-12 08:27 AM

this may assist:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1690347434/first-impressions-using-the-nikon-d800/2

oeksen37

Copenhagen V, DK
73 posts

#39. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 38

oeksen37 Basic Member
Fri 23-Mar-12 12:19 PM

Thanks a lot for your kind reference to this page, I'll certainly have a look at it. Have a nice weekend!

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#40. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 24-Mar-12 04:21 PM

I used the 24-70 for two years or more. Got great results. Then I switched (in Oct 2010) to the 24-120 and got the same or better results but with more reach and less weight. Have a look at my Nikonians Gallery to judge for yourself. My page at http://photo.net/photos/agitater has lots of images made with both lenses. It might help you to judge for yourself which lens you feel will best meet your needs.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6133 posts

#41. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 40

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:49 PM

>I used the 24-70 for two years or more. Got great results.
>Then I switched (in Oct 2010) to the 24-120 and got the same
>or better results but with more reach and less weight. Have a
>look at my Nikonians Gallery to judge for yourself. My page at
>http://photo.net/photos/agitater has lots of images made with
>both lenses.

The 24-120mm f/4 is an excellent lens, and you will get similar results as with the 24-70mm f/2.8 as long as you are not shooting in extremely dim available light.

The reason for this is that all focusing is done with the lens wide open. The extra stop on the 24-70mm f/2.8 allows it to focus better in extremely dim light.

You won't see problems very often, but look closely through your 24-120mm f/4 images taken in dim conditions, and you will find more misfocusing than in similar light with the 24-70mm f/2.8.

You won't see these problems when using a flash, because the flash has a focus assist light making both lenses focus equally well (unless you forget to select AF-S mode, since AF-C mode won't turn on the focus assist lamp).

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#42. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 40

grillij Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2008
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:58 PM

>I used the 24-70 for two years or more. Got great results.
>Then I switched (in Oct 2010) to the 24-120 and got the same
>or better results but with more reach and less weight.

Almost the same for me. I was using the 28-70 f2.8 and now the 24-120 f4 for all my walking around and trip with great results. I also bring the 85 f1.4 for low light situation, no flash.
I really do not care if it is considered amateur or pro - it fits my need.

Jacques G

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#43. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 24-Mar-12 04:58 PM

You have started quite an interesting thread.

I don't have a D800, but I have used a D700 for over three years, frequently with the 24-70/2.8. This is probably the best mid range zoom lens you can buy. I like having f/2.8 for focus isolation and low light performance. The lens is quite sharp for a zoom,even wide open, and the bokeh is very nice. I also like its close up performance. The slight barrel distortion and vignetting are easily corrected in PP.

The lens has outstanding built quality and balances well with the D700.

My suggestion is that you rent the two lenses you are considering and try them out. Since you own a Zeiss 100/2 I presume you are quite competent to judge lens performance for yourself.

Tristan

RSchussel

Vallejo, US
424 posts

#44. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 43

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008
Sat 24-Mar-12 10:22 PM

Dont shoot me but I feel most people are obsessing over the greater resolution of the D800.They forget that most of the time they still wont be able to get the ultimate out of a good lens in most situations.
Bob

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#45. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 25-Mar-12 12:56 AM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 12:58 AM by Clint S

I'm curious, just why would somebody buy a D800, put a consumer oriented lens on it, and use it for a walk around camera? I do have to say the 24-120 F/4 produces better images than I would have expected.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#46. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 45

Sun 25-Mar-12 01:39 AM

The answer is that many of us want to use this camera when we travel and in casual environments, "walking around", and the 24-120 f/4 could be considered either "consumer oriented" or professional. As with the D800 itself, there is no clear line anymore between pro and amateur equipment.

DF/D810

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#47. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 45

Sun 25-Mar-12 04:22 AM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 05:10 AM by Robman3

Well, and Hi Clint,

There are folks with means to buy and perhaps learn, by honing craft with great tools perhaps?

Or, there are folks who stand in line to buy an iJOBS hand held device, who know less of the merits in improved operation, and more of just having the latest, whether or not something equal or better exists. Example, a maxed out HPZ1 versus an iMAC Pro, will run Premiere Pro as designed, for video, love it or hate it, but it does. (Caveat, MAC rumors says the Cupertino cabal, will be going to Nvidia for GPU, sooner than later to staunch the Mercury playback idiom Adobe has been chipping away at since FCPX)

My consumer kit lens is only in the large bag, in case something dies with the f/2.8, 2.4, 1.8 or 1.4 zooms and primes.

I am not shooting for hobby anymore, and that evolved by buying better gear, then driving my advancement in technique but, I've submitted to a few shows with POS material as well as the kit lens stills from the D90 days.

I would NOT rely on that luck these days however.

I had dinner with a friend, a DP who shoots RED on a crew traveling the world, he's a huge technical geek, and sold his Canon/Nikon gear to buy the FS100 Sony, with an accompaniment DX HDslr Sony to share lenses.

He was in Japan (Native land) last month and got a feel for the D800/D4 parade.

His take now, he will be selling the 4 month old Sony gear, to go back over to the D800, because, and I pressed him on both bodies, it's a lighter machine to handle plus, 4.2.2 HDMI direct to HD video which he says is superior to the 5DMKIII Canon and h.264 Nikon.

His claim is that both brands have made strides to mitigate sensor artifacts and such, so that I frames versus IPB frames issue doesn't matter to him personally with the direct out capabilities.

He also promised to buy mine (It arrived at the shop on Friday) if after I use it, I find the video less than expected.

Thanks for the post.

Rob

Gandalfsfoto

DK
47 posts

#48. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 47

Gandalfsfoto Registered since 18th Feb 2012
Sun 25-Mar-12 07:03 AM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 07:05 AM by Gandalfsfoto

I can not believe Austins writings about the 14-24 on the D800

Neither the 50mm f/1.4G (but it is weak in the flare/ghosting area - the 50 1.8G is MUCH better)

-----

What is 24mm f/2.8 "non D" = Does he mean the manual focus lens - or is there a 24mm f/2.8 AF without D ?

----

He can have a point about other lenses generel speaking with 36 MP - look here how the 24-120 f/4.0 VR is tested on the D3x (and the D300S)

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1358/cat/13

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#49. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 48

Sun 25-Mar-12 03:38 PM

I think he's referring to the 24mm older stuff. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/late70nikkor/wides/24mm.htm

The tab chart for the D3X, does back up Dennis's admonition on paper.

He was shooting in venue related context, alongside another well respected NPS mover.

Apparently and generally the concurrence between them both is that Nikon's glass has been eclipsed in some ways by this machine. I'm paraphrasing but that's the take away, even while he writes a field manual for the D800.

I see the machine as a crop magnet for folks like Perrone with that stellar volleyball shot he posted yesterday, framed wide in motion, and or tripod mounted for people like me, dutifully using MUP mode whenever possible in Death Valley or at Mono Lake etc.

What I'm trying to say is, once we learn the fall off, sharpness sweet spots, etc. of individual lenses, then the frame up should be a response and those complications are restrictive/conditional when working in a fast paced environment.

Too many lenses to change out too often? I suppose this is what he was getting at.

Is it possible that Nikkor will manifest a new level of glass, ala Ziess Cine grade to up-class the FX to Medium Format convergence?

Rob

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#50. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 45

Sun 25-Mar-12 01:56 PM

>I'm curious, just why would somebody buy a D800, put a
>consumer oriented lens on it, and use it for a walk around
>camera?

Because such a combination supports the potential, in the hands of a competent photographer, to produce amazing images?

I think that a so-called pro body (D800) mated with a so-called pro lens (Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8) does not guarantee the production of technically or creatively good photos. On the contrary, producing creditable photos is always entirely up to the photographer. Pro-grade gear stands up better to daily abuse and performs reliably under a wider range of shooting conditions and weather than. But pro-grade gear does not guarantee good photos. Then again, my D700 + 24-120 f/4 have, as of this writing, stood up to extensive daily use during extensive travel for a long time.

IMO, the D700 combines superbly with the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 to help many good photographers produce wonderful images. There's no reason at all to suggest that the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 won't be just as good (or better) a mate for the D800.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#51. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 50

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 25-Mar-12 02:10 PM

>>I'm curious, just why would somebody buy a D800, put a
>>consumer oriented lens on it, and use it for a walk around
>>camera?

Well, I plan to use my D800 with my old 18-200 DX lens, because it's got all the resolution I need for walk around shots and a huge range of focal lengths, and I already own it.

However...

>I think that a so-called pro body (D800) mated with a
>so-called pro lens (Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8) does not guarantee the
>production of technically or creatively good photos. On the
>contrary, producing creditable photos is always entirely up to
>the photographer.

Absolutely. A true artist with a brownie will out do me any day.

But I buy good gear for more serious use because I want no excuses to come out of my mouth that "the tool wasn't up to the task". Not so much for what I say out loud, but what I say to myself occasionally.

Think of it as a crutch to ensure I only blame myself for bad shots in moments of weakness.

So if we just go out for a walk with the dog I'm likely to have the 18-200 on the camera. If we go out for a walk along a mountain scenic overlook, I'll probably carry the 14-24/2.8 or 24-70/2.8.

And if my mountain stream shot has the wrong kind of blur, well, I blame my tripod.... I mean myself.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Gandalfsfoto

DK
47 posts

#52. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 50

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:11 PM

"There's no reason at all to suggest that the Nikkor 24-120 f/4 won't be just as good (or better) a mate for the D800. "

The test in the link I gave does.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#53. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 52

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:34 PM

>"There's no reason at all to suggest that the Nikkor
>24-120 f/4 won't be just as good (or better) a mate for the
>D800. "
>
>The test in the link I gave does.

I think the test results of the 24-120 f/4 on both the D300s and the D3x are exemplary. Of course there is a testable and measurable difference. But it's the difference, in relative terms, between atoms and molecules - that is to say, vanishingly small and invisible for most practical purposes.

If there is some question as to whether or not the 24-120 f/4 is technically as impressive as the 24-70 f/2.8 when the two are compared on the test bench, the results are easy to find as has been pointed out. Whether the test bench differences mean anything important or affect the shooting decisions by anyone in this thread is another matter altogether.

I responded to this thread only to answer to the OP relative to my own personal use of both lenses. For my street shooting and travel landscape uses, I've used the 24-120 f/4 to obtain the reach I need when getting physically closer isn't possible, and I've been able to easily extract all the sharpness, contrast, color quality and versatility (depth of field, difficult light) I need from the 24-120. I also directed the OP to my Nikonians Gallery to see lots of examples shot with the 24-120 and to my Photo.net page for lots of examples shot with the 24-70 and the 24-120.

The D700 + 24-120 f/4 is a combination that has helped me produce large, finely detailed prints. It makes sense to me then that the D800 will only help to improve a great situation into an even better one.

Don't care about technical measurements at this level of hardware quality. I think that once we have a Nikkor 24-120 f/4 in use, the technical differences between it and even more expensive gear may be so small, for most serious shooters, as to be irrelevant most of the time.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Gandalfsfoto

DK
47 posts

#54. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 53

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:42 PM

They have not tested the 24-70 with D3x, so I can not prove, that it would be better, but I am sure it would.

I would not be happy with the result in this test with my D3x

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#55. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 53

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:44 PM

>Don't care about technical measurements at this level of
>hardware quality. I think that once we have a Nikkor 24-120
>f/4 in use, the technical differences between it and even more
>expensive gear may be so small, for most serious shooters, as
>to be irrelevant most of the time.

Agree - specially because we shoot landscape and people and not paper clips - brick walls and charts.
Jacques G

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#56. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 55

mdonovan Gold Member Charter Member
Sun 25-Mar-12 04:12 PM

er ... xcept fer the occasional macro shoots ... which I am interested in seeing this camera perform as well =)

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#57. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 53

Sun 25-Mar-12 03:43 PM

An Bob's 'yer uncle then.

Thanks,

Rob

pechacek

Hanover, Maryland, US
19 posts

#58. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 53

pechacek Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Sun 25-Mar-12 04:22 PM

I don't shoot in a lab myself. I'm planing to purchase the 24-120 myself. The other "pro" lens are just too heavy for me to carry around.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#59. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 26-Mar-12 01:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm just going through a left brain vs. the right brain thing justifying, or not, the purchase of a D800.

rodantking

US
93 posts

#60. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 59

rodantking Registered since 14th Feb 2012
Mon 26-Mar-12 02:44 AM

This tread has oddly turned into a mid range zoom discussion. I find mid range zoom very useful and not very exciting. I just sold one and am replacing it with a 35-70 (even more boring). Not because I think it's the holy grail, but because I can't get excited about spending doe on a 24-70 or a 24-120. Just waiting for Nikon to update the 24-70 so everyone can decide it sucks. Then I'll buy it! I just have more fun with a 70-200 and a 24 1.4 or a ultra wide zoom mounted up.

oeksen37

Copenhagen V, DK
73 posts

#61. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 60

oeksen37 Basic Member
Thu 29-Mar-12 12:41 PM

Never in the world I would have thought that my humble question would turn out in THAT many replies. About 5 of them referred rather precisely to the question raised, however, it has been interesting to read also the others, although they have had a very wide span moving sometimes very far away from the my thread....thanks to all and everybody for their contribution. Per

Hektor

Rancho Palos Verdes - So-Cal, US
716 posts

#62. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Fri 30-Mar-12 05:14 AM | edited Fri 30-Mar-12 05:22 AM by Hektor

Hi:

My list of ideal lenses for the D800 would be:

Zooms:

1. Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8
2. Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8
3. Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
4. Nikkor 200-400 f/4 VRII

Primes:

1. Nikkor 24 f/1.4G
2. Nikkor 35 f/1.4G
3. Nikkor 85 f/1.4G
4. Nikkor 500 f/4 VRII

I limited my selection to just 8 Nikon lenses. I believe they would be the only lenses you will ever need for any occasion. OK. You asked for the ideal lenses!!!

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos
My Nikonians Album: My Galleries

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T10 - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#63. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 62

Fri 30-Mar-12 09:45 AM | edited Fri 30-Mar-12 09:46 AM by mdonovan

So your basically limited to the entire range of pro nikkor lenses ... ... Lol ... Being facetious of course. I'd love to see the b&h receipt!

Press1

Oakmont, PA and Ligonier. PA, US
582 posts

#64. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 63

Press1 Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 30-Mar-12 10:17 AM

One option you might want to think about for "walking around" is the 18-200G. It's a DX lens, but the resolution of the D 800 in DX mode is still very high.

As for the difference between the 24-120 and the 24-70...I have both and I don't think there's a comparison. 24-120 is softer and has more distortion - just so the cranky people on this thread don't jump down my throat - that's MY OPINION!

So, when my D800 arrives, I'm going to sell the 24-120 and use the 18-200 for walking around, and I'll use the pro glass when I'm getting paid for the photos. (14-24, 24-70, 70-200).

Joe

Q: How many lenses do you need?
A: Just one more!

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#65. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 64

Fri 30-Mar-12 10:49 AM

I am considering selling my 35 f/2. , 20 f/2.8 and 60 f/2.8 along with my 70-200 vrI .." and rebuilding my lens collection.

Starting with the 70-200 vrII, sigma 50m 1.4, and a wide angle prime ... Not sure which yet.

Press1

582 posts

#66. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 65

Fri 30-Mar-12 11:12 AM

mdonovan - Is the 70-200 VRII that much better than the VRI? I've been wondering about doing the same switch. The one I have is exceptionally sharp.

Joe

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#67. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 66

Fri 30-Mar-12 11:14 AM

Honestly ... I do not know ... That's why I have not sold it yet ... It is an amazing lens. I have heard reports that on Full Frame the vrII is better in the corners.

flbrit

US
3 posts

#68. "70-200 VRII" | In response to Reply # 67

flbrit Registered since 23rd Feb 2007
Sat 31-Mar-12 11:11 AM

I know this is my first post here so many will take this with that in mind.

However, the VRII is much better on FX than the old version especially if you use it for landscape and stitching.

I used to shoot the VRI on my D300 and it was great, on the D700 when the corners did not matter it was fine to. When the corners matter, then the VRII is much better.

Also, I traded in the 24-120 f4, a fine lens for the cost, for the 24-70, a wonderful lens, in anticipation of the D800 launch. Thought I would get ahead of the game as I am sure these lenses will be in greater demand once the D800 becomes establised.

I have already parted with the D300 but may keep the D700 and have it converted to IR having just started playing with this with a converted Canon Powershot G10.

Brian

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#69. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 66

Fri 30-Mar-12 03:42 PM

I own both, 2 VRII's and a VR. I purchased the VRII's after reading a number of reviews and comments posted on Nikonians. While the VRII stays on my D3s I have ended up using the orignal VR on one of my D300's (with and without a TC-17E II.) I like that little bit of extra magnification the original VR gives me up close at "200mm" (as it turns out 182mm as opposed to 134mm by Thom's measurements.) I thought it was just me until I read Thom Hogan's review of the VRII.

http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

The VRII is a tiny bit sharper (pixel peeping) and does not display as much vignetting on the D3s as the VR. I will play with both on my D800 (in 2-3 weeks I hope) and when the D300s replacement is finally released on that as well. I will probably end up selling the VR but for now both fit my needs and complement each other nicely.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#70. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 64

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sat 31-Mar-12 12:35 AM

I am finding that my Nikon 28-300 VR may be out performing my trusty old Tamron 90 for close up stuff on my D800. Also when I shoot the 28-300 in DX mode it is not nearly as sharp as it is in FX. I think it's because the downsampling from 36mp does appear to produce better images than DX without the downsampling...both when using the same lens in FX and DX and with DX lenses alone. Mansurov's first voiced this in his web site and I think I am agreeing with him. If that's the case... I might get rid of my DX lenses and just shoot FX. There is no extra "reach" with the DX to be gained after all. Crop before or crop after it's still a crop. Any other opinions out there regarding why to use DX on the D800 other than to keep some lenses around until you can replace them???? This is the first time I have had a camera that could shoot both.

Arkayem

6133 posts

#71. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 64

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 31-Mar-12 01:10 AM

>One option you might want to think about for "walking
>around" is the 18-200G. It's a DX lens, but the
>resolution of the D 800 in DX mode is still very high.

The resolution will be fine, but the viewfinder may not be what you are expecting. When you use a DX lens on an FX camera, you see the same thing in the viewfinder as with an FX lens, except that there is a box showing the area that is cropped from the FX image to form the DX image. So, the net result is that you have to place your subject inside the box that is shown. This effectively reduces the size of the subject in the viewfinder.

When you use a DX lens on a DX camera, the image fills the whole viewfinder.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#72. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 64

Sat 31-Mar-12 11:22 AM

>As for the difference between the 24-120 and the 24-70...I
>have both and I don't think there's a comparison. 24-120 is
>softer and has more distortion - just so the cranky people on
>this thread don't jump down my throat - that's MY OPINION!

Can you show us some photos backing up your opinion, with real life photos not charts and brick wall.?

Jacques G

Press1

582 posts

#73. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 72

Sat 31-Mar-12 12:58 PM

If I get some time, I'll post some of the shots that I thought highlighted the difference.

For me the biggest difference is the distortion and chromatic aberration - which can be corrected in Photoshop for the walking around stuff. I shoot interiors for interior designers, so color, sharpness and lack of distortion are very important. That's why I use the 24-70 f/2.8. I will say one thing - this is my second 24-120. I sold my first one when the 18-200 came out and I was shooting DX. I bought another when I went to an FX body. The first one was sharper.

FYI - I have never shot charts or a brick wall, and I'm just offering my opinion (as I mentioned in the original post) based on what I see in the photos. Purely subjective, based on my own questionable eyesight. I still own the 24-120 and use it often as a walking around lens on the D700 because of the convenience. When the D800 arrives, I'll use the 18-200 for that purpose and sell the 24-120.

Joe

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#74. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 73

Sat 31-Mar-12 04:40 PM | edited Sat 31-Mar-12 04:49 PM by KnightPhoto

For clarity, If you sold a 24-120 when the 18-200 came out, then you had to be speaking about the old 24-120 f3.5-f5.6 lens (which wasn't an IQ champion).

Nowadays, and in this thread related to D800, it's fair to assume people are generally talking the new 24-120 f4 lens which has a completely different optical design (but yes has high distortion). Probably best to state the f-stop of the latter 24-120 lens you are referring to for clarity. Sorry if I missed this in the thread further above

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Press1

582 posts

#75. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 74

Sat 31-Mar-12 06:52 PM

You're absolutely right - sorry for the confusion...

Joe

bwanaaa

US
7 posts

#76. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 75

bwanaaa Registered since 11th Jul 2006
Sat 31-Mar-12 08:27 PM

I am looking at wide angle options and am trying to decide between the zeiss 25 mm f/2 and the 14-24 f/2.8. Although the lack of zoomability and manual focussing is a limitation of the zeiss, that will not impact my shooting. Having to zoom with my feet forces me to think more about composition which is mostly landscape and still life for me. Still, my concern is the emphasis on accurate focussing with the d800 and whether the manual zeiss will fail there-or will the autofocussing of the nikkor generate more keepers. Having to use an lcd loupe for every shoot will get old. I might as well get a view camera. Has anyone experienced either this zeiss or the 21 mm f2.8 on a d800?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#77. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 76

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 31-Mar-12 09:30 PM

>Having to
>use an lcd loupe for every shoot will get old. I might as well
>get a view camera. Has anyone experienced either this zeiss or
>the 21 mm f2.8 on a d800?

What's wrong with Live View. It works very well for extremely fine focus, and on the D800 there's no mirror slap.

Though I am very happy with my 14-24.

bwanaaa

US
7 posts

#78. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 77

Sat 31-Mar-12 09:38 PM

tnx for ur reply but was hoping for someone with a zeiss collection to chime in. is there a better place i should ask this question?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#79. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 78

Mon 02-Apr-12 11:32 AM

Manual focus lens forum: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=301

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Wild_Things

Newton St Margarets, UK
8 posts

#80. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 62

Wild_Things Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2009
Mon 02-Apr-12 06:25 PM

I second Hektor's list .. this camera will be demanding on glass.

That said, I use a 24-120 F4 VR on a D7000 as a do-it-all travel kit. Apart from the barrel distortion (just shoot an oil painting) it produces excellent images ..

cheers, Maurice

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#81. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 30-Mar-12 09:08 PM | edited Fri 30-Mar-12 09:49 PM by jpFoto

After reading Denny's comments about the D800 and the14-24, I grabbed my D800 and 14-24 and headed over to my local fire station to take a few photos. Since my youngest son had received a merit award from the fire department when he was in third grade, they were more than happy to let me take some photos. I think that maybe Denny has a bad copy of the lens since I am stunned by the results. I know that no one can tell very much from these low resolution images, but I have checked them out at 100% and 200% crops, and they are very good examples of just how good the 14-24 is on the D800. Here they are, and if anyone would like a hi-res copy, just send me an email.

Edit: Denny, if you are going to write a field guide for the D800, you should probably not return the camera after owning it for only one day. It will not look good.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)
Attachment#7 (jpg file)

trialcritic

Palo Alto, US
43 posts

#82. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 81

trialcritic Registered since 17th Mar 2012
Sat 31-Mar-12 02:32 AM

Great shots. I tried the 14-24 with the D800 outside my home in a small park and the pictures were amazing. My wife, who was skeptical about whether the camera was worth it, was surprised by how good the images came out. However, I did not use a tripod and the zooming in and cropping did not come out well. Something I have to learn to do.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#83. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 82

Sat 31-Mar-12 10:15 AM

Re 14-24 has anyone else tried fine tuning it?

On the D800 every other lens I have tried so far (70-200, 24-70 in particular) are dead on at or near zero. My 14-24 requires a -16 adjustment to be sharp, more than I ever used on any camera or lens combo.

Not that it is bad -- once done it is done, and the same amount roughly was needed at 14 as at 24.

But I was surprised how one lens was so different on the D800.

I saw a "just OK" comment elsewhere for that (great!) lens, and am wondering if others are trying without the fine tune and that's a reason for the "just OK"? Or is it just mine that needed it?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#84. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 83

Sat 31-Mar-12 02:48 PM

>I saw a "just OK" comment elsewhere for that
>(great!) lens, and am wondering if others are trying without
>the fine tune and that's a reason for the "just OK"?
> Or is it just mine that needed it?

The 14-24 being deemed "just OK" by a tiny handful of photographers speaks more to a lack of understanding about the lens and, admittedly, a tiny of handful of 14-24 copies which might not be perfectly calibrated out of the factory. The 14-24 is regarded worldwide by pro photographers as a remarkable achievement by Nikon and for all the right reasons.

Your lead-off snowy egret shot from your Venice Rookery collection is wonderful. The treetop shot of a spread great blue heron is almost as good - that is to say very good indeed. Beautiful poses, rich exposures. You should enter the snowy egret shot in a contest (if you haven't done so already).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

#85. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 84

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Sat 31-Mar-12 04:03 PM

I have not used the D800 nor have I used the D700. I own the D200 and use it wil the 14/24 f2.8, 24/70 f2.8, and 70/200 f2.8 lenses, and with 105 f2.8 MF macro. With that out of the way, I post the following with respect to all.

My suggestion is to find a store that will rent the D800 so that it can be used with the existing lenses for the photos that will be taken with it. There remains brick/mortar stores that will provide this servce and may apply the rental fee(s)to the purchase. Based on everything that I've read in Nikonians on the D800, this what I'll be doing before I buy the D700 or the D800.

There's a parallel here between photographic equipment and stereo equipment as to which whether the new equipment will work well with the user's existing equipment based upon how it will be used. With stereo, a prospective speaker system, amplifier, etc., should be auditioned in the user's home/listening environment with the existing equipment and music media before purchase. Here to, there remains brick/mortar stores that will do this.

Mp

jolytoka

Reston, US
16 posts

#86. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 85

jolytoka Registered since 21st Feb 2011
Sat 31-Mar-12 04:16 PM

>I have not used the D800 nor have I used the D700. I own the
>D200 and use it wil the 14/24 f2.8, 24/70 f2.8, and 70/200
>f2.8 lenses, and with 105 f2.8 MF macro. With that out of the
>way, I post the following with respect to all.
>.........
>Mp

I've got all the (excellent) equipment you mention in your post, including the D200. When I bought a D700, I used the same lenses, with good results. Ditto for use on a D7000, which is a fine camera for walking about for an unknown amount of time. If I were you, I would not hesitate to buy a D700 for use with the lenses you have. My D800 is on order, so I haven't had experience with that camera yet.

jolytoka

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#87. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 31-Mar-12 04:30 PM

Based on the original question it appears that there are a lot of users who find the 24-120 to be up to the task, and for a considerable savings over the 24-70.
But the most interesting and controversial comments were about the excellent 14-24 not being good enough. I find that claim to be unbelievable. In fact I do not believe it at all, particularly the way it was delivered and the knock on Thom Hogan for being only "web published".

I would like to remember that guy's name only to be sure that if I am in the market for buying a Nikon book, I can avoid his.

Seeing the images and downloading original raw files taken with both the 24-70 and 14-24 on a D800, all I can say is those lenses and that camera trump anything in 35mm size I have ever seen, film or digital.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#88. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 87

Sat 31-Mar-12 04:47 PM

Stan, agreed on all counts. I will make every effort to remember the name. I will also continue to use my 14-24 on my D3s followed by a smile when I see the results.

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#89. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 87

Sun 01-Apr-12 08:04 PM

Stan

So that you can remember who he is, here is a link to his books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3AJ.+Dennis+Thomas&keywords=J.+Dennis+Thomas&ie=UTF8&qid=1333316971&sr=1-2-ent&field-contributor_id=B001IGOIQW

He is dead wrong about the 14-24, but he might be right about the AF-S 50mm 1.4G. This lens was my all time favorite 50 on my D700 and D3S, but not on the D800. I just listed my 50 for sale, and if anyone is interested in it, I am going to ask if they are planning on using it on a D800. I haven't tried the AF-S 50mm 1.8G yet.

jP

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#90. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

mabuge Registered since 18th Mar 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 09:12 AM | edited Sun 01-Apr-12 09:37 AM by mabuge

Just my penny (or cent):

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-24-120mm-vr-review

This review contains a comparison between 24-70/2.8 and 24-120/4.
Watch out: the older 24-120, as has being said before, without fixed maximum aperture is a class lower (if not two).
I took a screenshot of the summary, see below, but you certainly should read the whole review.

Since I mainly shoot landscapes and architectures, I bought the 24-120/4 in advance of my D800E. My current 16-85 on my D300 was a good companion (24-127 in FX terms). The 24-120 is quite sharper. That gold ring must have a meaning (or is it just to indicate the price is higher )?

I made a list of my decision criteria before I decided to go for a 24-120. I'm not an easy buyer you know, I use the internet intensively to look for pro's and con's. I filter moron talk with a pretty fine grid. I trust Thom Hogan for example. People who know what they are talking about.

Main reasons for buying the 24-120/4. I've put my answers in capitals, but that is my choice of course, based on my experience, budget, expectations. You don't have to agree. It is even possible you won't agree at all.

1. Are several reviews positive about the 24-120/4? YES. A lens with a smaller zoom range is often better, but do I really need/want that? NO. Well, I guess not.

2. 24-120/4 is not up to the level of the 24-70/2.8, but do I really need this expensive and heavy lens without VR for the 2.8 and it's extra sharpness when I mainly shoot landscapes and architectures and now and then a portrait? NO. Wouldn't it be better to spend the difference for a 70-200 VRII (some day) instead? YES, some day. My old 70-300 will have to do for the moment. Not a bad lens, have to see how well it matches a D800E.

3. Is the overlap 24-120/4 and 70-200 or -300 an advantage or a disadvantage? Say I need 80 mm and my 24-120/4 is on. Will I change lenses for the average picture? NO. For the picture of my life? Maybe YES, but only if I have an excellent alternative (like a 70-200 VRII, or an excellent prime; don't have one,... yet). The 50 mm extra on the 24-120/4 compared to 24-70/2.8 is for me - I can only speak for myself - a real advantage. I can always crop, but I prefer to frame correctly at location.

4. Do I want straight lines in architectures photography, because this is my main target (the straight lines, architecture of both) ? NO, not really. But sometimes I do. I'm not publishing in architecture books or sites. Sometimes I get annoyed with barrel/cushion distortion, but not that often. YES, if it is really too much. I might change targets in the future. Better buy a perspective control lens then like the PC-E Nikkor 24/3.5. Would the 24-120/4 give too much distortion? NO, I don't think so, that is to say not for what I do.

5. Less lens changes, less risk for dust on the sensor. I'm pretty often in the 70-120 range, but also in the 24-70 range. So YES, I like to have less lens changes. I don't want a second camera, rather have a 70-200 VRII instead, probably with a very good tele convertor, just for the occasion.

6. 24-70/2.8 has no VR, if I really want this sharper lens, I will wait for a VR, buy a 24-120 as intermediate solution and sell it when the VR comes. But will I miss the 50 mm once I'm on a hike in nature or visiting a town. YES, I had a Tokina Pro 24-70 on my old Minolta Dynax, a long time ago, liked the lens, not the lens changes. Ever changed lenses in a town crowded with tourists, or when you're with hiking companions? Then you know what I'm talking about.

7. 2.8 ? Yes I'll miss the bokeh of 2.8 (the better the lens, the better the bokeh), and yes some lower light conditions. Important for me? NO. For the lower light conditions I guess 200 ISO iso 100 is an alternative I can live with. Or?

8. Many low light conditions? Love this kind of picture? Yes, but my target is not really that. If I change my mind, I guess I will go for a prime 1.4 and crop (a little) if I can't get the right frame by walking. There's the 1.2x and 1.5x option in the D800 too. So NO for low light at this moment.

Hope this helps, Marc

Below you find a screen shot of the conclusion of Mansurovs' review.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#91. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 90

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 01-Apr-12 08:59 PM | edited Mon 02-Apr-12 10:56 AM by RRRoger

Of course, if I had lots of money and no lens, I would get the "Holy Trinity".
But, if I had limited money and wanted to only get one for "Walk Around", it would be the 28-300 Nikkor

The picture below from 1/4 mile away (ISO 100 f/8 190mm) has been cropped to 1/7th and then reduced for web display and then saved at 80% to fit the image size restrictions.

The original untouched 17MB JPEG (RDM_0141.JPG is on my assuredphotos website:

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#92. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 91

Sun 01-Apr-12 11:39 PM

Yowzers Roger - KILLER sensor or what!
(and good showing for the 28-300 too)

Keep us posted with your findings...

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#93. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 91

Mon 02-Apr-12 06:54 AM

Great shot Roger, stunning, at the right moment (wave+bird!), and good composition! Was it taken with a D800? A pity the link does not work ("The requested URL /RDM_0142.JPG was not found on this server"). Looking at the bird, your lens must be very good at the set focal length. Which does not mean it isn't good at other focal lengths . I'm sure your 28-300 is a good walk-around lens, I've seen quite a lot of great pictures taken with that lens. Indeed, you don't need a trinity lens to make great shots, and personally I wouldn't buy the 24-70 of the trinity as a walk-around lens.

From my perspective, if I wanted only one walk-around lens for a D800, I would prefer the 24-120/4 because the majority of my shots are in that range (my major decision criterium), because of its sharpness (my second major criterium, certainly with the D800 resolution), and because of I don't really need the 2.8 for my kind of pictures (a third major criterium of mine). Moreover, the cost difference is moderate: 20% more (in Europe). It weighs a little less and it's shorter. With the 1.5x DX mode of the D800 you get the equivalent of 180 mm. Not bad at all, this 24-180/4 range. Of course you would miss the 120-300 range (in DX mode 180-450) you have! It remains a personal choice.

With respect, Marc

Arkayem

6133 posts

#94. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 93

Tue 10-Apr-12 02:11 PM

>Great shot Roger, stunning, at the right moment (wave+bird!),
>and good composition! Was it taken with a D800? A pity the
>link does not work ("The requested URL /RDM_0142.JPG was
>not found on this server"). Looking at the bird, your
>lens must be very good at the set focal length. Which does not
>mean it isn't good at other focal lengths . I'm sure your
>28-300 is a good walk-around lens, I've seen quite a lot of
>great pictures taken with that lens. Indeed, you don't need a
>trinity lens to make great shots, and personally I wouldn't
>buy the 24-70 of the trinity as a walk-around lens.
>
>From my perspective, if I wanted only one walk-around lens for
>a D800, I would prefer the 24-120/4 because the majority of my
>shots are in that range (my major decision criterium), because
>of its sharpness (my second major criterium, certainly with
>the D800 resolution), and because of I don't really need the
>2.8 for my kind of pictures (a third major criterium of mine).
>Moreover, the cost difference is moderate: 20% more (in
>Europe). It weighs a little less and it's shorter. With the
>1.5x DX mode of the D800 you get the equivalent of 180 mm. Not
>bad at all, this 24-180/4 range. Of course you would miss the
>120-300 range (in DX mode 180-450) you have! It remains a
>personal choice.
>
>With respect, Marc
>

You don't really gain anything by shooting in the DX mode. If you shoot in FX mode, you can always crop the center later on your computer and get exactly the same image as what you would have gotten using the DX mode. All the DX mode does is crop the center out for you.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#95. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 94

Tue 10-Apr-12 02:31 PM

Thanks for replying Russ,

I see. So DX mode has no value except for when you're using DX lenses then? The same goes for 1.2x. Why did they add the latter? Following the same reasoning one can crop 1.2x to get rid of the worst parts of a (not so good) lens (vignetting a.o.).

Marc

Arkayem

6133 posts

#96. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 95

Tue 10-Apr-12 05:17 PM

>Thanks for replying Russ,
>
>I see. So DX mode has no value except for when you're using DX
>lenses then?

Yes, unless your goal is to save space on your memory cards. When you use the DX mode, your file sizes are much smaller.

>The same goes for 1.2x. Why did they add the
>latter? Following the same reasoning one can crop 1.2x to get
>rid of the worst parts of a (not so good) lens (vignetting
>a.o.).

Actually, there a good reason for using the 1.2 crop size. I'm no video expert, but I do know that D1/DV NTSC Widescreen uses a 1.2 pixel aspect ratio. If you select this cropping, and you keep everything inside the 1.2 box, your video will be the correct aspect ratio for standard widescreen.

The 4x5 crop option is useful for when you plan to print at 8x10, 16x20, or 24x30. If you compose carefully with the camera using the lines on the screen, you can save yourself a lot of cropping work later. I use it only when I am sure the only print sizes will be one of the ones listed above. It can cause problems if you take a portrait expecting it will only be printed at 8x10, and then the client wants 100 5x7's to send to relatives. Of course, if you have filled the frame for an 8x10, you cannot print it on a 5x7 without leaving a white stripes on each side. That's when you tell her that they will have to be 4x5's, which is the same aspect ratio as an 8x10.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#97. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 96

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Tue 10-Apr-12 05:43 PM

>Quote
>The 4x5 crop option is useful for when you plan to print at
>8x10, 16x20, or 24x30. If you compose carefully with the
>camera using the lines on the screen, you can save yourself a
>lot of cropping work later. I use it only when I am sure the
>only print sizes will be one of the ones listed above. It can
>cause problems if you take a portrait expecting it will only
>be printed at 8x10, and then the client wants 100 5x7's to
>send to relatives. Of course, if you have filled the frame for
>an 8x10, you cannot print it on a 5x7 without leaving a white
>stripes on each side. That's when you tell her that they will
>have to be 4x5's, which is the same aspect ratio as an 8x10.
>
>Russ<<Quote<<<

I used to shoot 4x5 on my D3 and I may try it again with the D800.
I then sold 4x5, 5x8, 8x10, and 16x20 prints.
It is very easy to print two 5x8 or four 4x5 prints on an 8.5x11 sheet
but I also have custom cut paper for plaques etc.

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#98. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 96

Wed 11-Apr-12 07:07 AM | edited Wed 11-Apr-12 07:11 AM by mabuge

Related to 4:5, I guess that's more oriented to the inch than to the cm markets . It is possible to order 24x30 (in cm), for example, but the majority is 2:3 and 3:4, next to the ISO 216 sizes: A3, A4, A5 (home printing for example). The latter is 7:10 (actually short side/long side = root 2), a bit odd for 2:3, but it is pretty close (21:30, 20:30 respectively). For paper that's practical, by cutting an A4 in two you get two A5's for example. By the way A0 is 1 square meter (1189mmx841mm). But that's way out of this "ideal lenses for the D800" forum.

In agreement with what you said, you could use the DX format to avoid cropping afterwards. There will be few persons using it I guess, because one has more flexibility with cropping. Accordingly, I will make a correction to what I posted about the DX mode and the 24-120/4.
Edit: Just tried, can't change it anymore, the editing period has been closed.

Now that I think about it... why are we using a 2:3 sensor size iso A10 (37x26 iso 36x24) ? The square root of 2 is a well known number in photography after all. Don't wan't to start a new controverse here, just a joke.

About video, I don't have a clue, I'm just taking pictures,... up to now.

Russ & Roger, thanks, Marc

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

#99. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 91

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Tue 03-Apr-12 12:32 PM

Roger:

Great photo! Which is really tempting me to bypass the D700 for the D800. The D800... To be or not to be... That is the question... How do I convince the wife?

Mp

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#100. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 99

Tue 03-Apr-12 12:48 PM

'Tis better to ask for foregiveness than permission. Why do so many wives seem to be immune to NAS.

Arkayem

6133 posts

#101. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 99

Tue 03-Apr-12 02:08 PM

>How do I convince the wife?

Just do what I did - don't tell her.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

GilesW

Edinburgh, UK
67 posts

#102. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 101

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010
Tue 03-Apr-12 08:15 PM

>>How do I convince the wife?
>
>Just do what I did - don't tell her.
>
Or you could disguise it as a D80 (worth about $300?) by sticking black tape over the last 0 of D800, which might make it less likely to be nicked

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4971 posts

#103. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 99

Wed 04-Apr-12 02:47 AM

Don't forget to tell wifey all the priceless family memory photos and videos in the D800' case that you will be capturing

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

#104. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 90

drseuss Registered since 13th Dec 2011
Mon 02-Apr-12 10:23 AM

In the Mansurovs review, he took a couple of pictures with the 85mm 1.8G, and they look great! So I'm not worried too much about my lenses once I finally get my D800, since right now all I have is a 50mm 1.8G and an 85mm 1.8G. But hopefully soon I can add a nice pro zoom lens to my collection...that is after I upgrade my computer a little bit (RAM, Hard Drive, etc) to handle the files that I will produce.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#105. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 104

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 04-Apr-12 01:55 AM

I got a chance to try the 85 1.8g for the first time last week and compared it to my 85 1.4D. I was really impressed with the new 85, and I am seriously thinking about selling the 1.4D and getting the new 1.8. It seemed sharper, particularly in the corners and the bokeh was not much worse. I use mine mainly for portraits and candids, by being a little more careful about backgrounds, the 85 1.8g would fully replace the old faster "cream machine". I would have no qualms about using the 1.8 on a D800. The newest 1.8 primes all seems to be the real bargains in the lineup. The 50 1.8g is essentially as good as the twice as expensive 1.4G and much better than the old 1.8D which needed to be stopped down to at least 2.8-4.0 to start to reveal the sharpness that is was known for, and the 85 1.8G is one 1/3 the price of its big brother and it takes pixel peeping to see a difference. The 35 1.8G is better than the older 35 2.0D at 1/2 the price. Now if a 24 1.8 is introduced, it would be a winner also since the 1.4 is so expensive. But I never shoot my 24 at anything but wide open at 1.4, seems like a shame to get one and shoot at anything else. Also on the lens wish list would be a 70-200 f/4, lighter and cheaper and would be a instant best seller.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#106. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 104

Tue 10-Apr-12 01:37 PM | edited Tue 10-Apr-12 02:04 PM by mabuge

Hi John,

Have you seen this sample? Magnify the picture below and look in the girls' eye (the left one looks a bit sharper): you see the photographer using a D800 with the 85/1.8, 1/250, f/8, he's not using a tripod. Note that "magezine" is not an error, that's the url to the picture. I've just taken the www. away, else the picture ends up in the forum, which is disturbing.

Marc

magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/D800-4013/highres/portrait3DSC1774-copy_1333460703.jpg

PS. full article (D800 review) @
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-digital-slr-full-review-18860

Here's a screen shot:

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
289 posts

#107. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Mon 02-Apr-12 11:04 AM

This is s very interesting discussion and I would really love to get involved.

But I don't have the D800 I ordered on February 7th yet....

I have a D700 with a 24-70/2.8 and the "new" 24-120/F4 and both are excellent on the D700.

When traveling, I use the 24-120/f4 as I am usually limited in what I can carry and I don't like changing lens in dusty conditions.

I had the "old" 24-120 which I did not like and I felt was relatively poor. However, I can see little difference between the "new" 24-102/f4 and the the 24-70/F2.8 apart from more distortion on the 24-120, easily corrected in Lightroom.

I have a 50f1.4 which I consider very sharp and again I would love to try this on a D800.

If only I had one.......

GH

trialcritic

Palo Alto, US
43 posts

#108. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 02-Apr-12 06:01 PM

I tried my camera with the 14-24 in the weekend. The images are superb. My only "complaint" is that the images look unrealistic in the richness and color. If you see the same location with your eyes, it does not look as impressive. These are simple pictures of my neighborhood and the downtown.

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#109. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 02-Apr-12 06:40 PM

I am also wondering about the other side of the question. What will the D800 be able to "coax" out of our existing lenses. In particular those that are not stellar performers in the first place. In my case, the 80-400 VR (hasn't been used in almost 2 years) and my Sigma 150-500. I know how they perform on the D3s and D300 so will the D800 turn them in to overachievers of sorts? Probably not but one can always hope.

Should be fun and will keep me busy for quite awhile.

I am about 2 weeks from the expected delivery date btw.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#110. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 109

Mon 02-Apr-12 09:59 PM

Quote>I am also wondering about the other side of the question.
>What will the D800 be able to "coax" out of our
>existing lenses. In particular those that are not stellar
>performers in the first place. In my case, the 80-400 VR
>(hasn't been used in almost 2 years) and my Sigma 150-500. I
>know how they perform on the D3s and D300 so will the D800
>turn them in to overachievers of sorts? Probably not but one
>can always hope.<Quote<<<

Keep your hopes up.
I expect the 80-400 Nikkor to work really well on the D800.
The Sigma really depends on if you have a good copy.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#111. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 109

Mon 02-Apr-12 11:35 PM

>I am also wondering about the other side of the question.
>What will the D800 be able to "coax" out of our
>existing lenses. In particular those that are not stellar
>performers in the first place. In my case, the 80-400 VR
>(hasn't been used in almost 2 years) and my Sigma 150-500. I
>know how they perform on the D3s and D300 so will the D800
>turn them in to overachievers of sorts? Probably not but one
>can always hope.

No.

Well, maybe a bit better metering, maybe a bit better focusing (especially in low light), but image IQ won't change, and if you are a pixel peeper you get more indication of any lens flaws.

HOWEVER, one thing I find interesting is that DX lenses will be no worse. On the FX cameras up until this point, shooting with a DX lens meant giving up a LOT of pixels relative to a DX camera. Now you don't.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#112. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 111

Tue 03-Apr-12 02:07 PM

>HOWEVER, one thing I find interesting is that DX lenses will
>be no worse. On the FX cameras up until this point, shooting
>with a DX lens meant giving up a LOT of pixels relative to a
>DX camera. Now you don't.

Just to clarify your point and make sure that I am not missing something. You are absolutely right for some lenses but not for all. The only DX lens I have is the Nikon 10-24. By turning off the "AUTO DX" option I can shoot the lens at full frame and not lose any pixels from the full frame 36MP. However I get the lens barrel shadow around the entire frame below 15mm due to the wide angle. Now...being that this is a DX lens I never really had the 10-15mm anyway, even on my D90. So my 10-24 in DX was actually 15-36. Now I have a 15-24... a bit narrow but covers below my 28-300VR. Unless you mean something different when you use the word 'worse".

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#113. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 112

Tue 03-Apr-12 08:21 PM

>
>>HOWEVER, one thing I find interesting is that DX lenses
>will
>>be no worse.
>
>Just to clarify your point and make sure that I am not missing
>something. You are absolutely right for some lenses but not
>for all. The only DX lens I have is the Nikon 10-24. By
>turning off the "AUTO DX" option I can shoot the
>lens at full frame and not lose any pixels from the full frame
>36MP.

I wasn't thinking of that. You can fill a bit more of a frame with a DX lens in FX mode but it won't go to the edges, at least not usably. So I guess it is "better" in that sense.

I interpreted the question to mean "I have a less than ideal lens, will the D800 make it better" as in sharper -- I think that's a "no".

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#114. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 113

Tue 03-Apr-12 10:37 PM

I agree with your interpretation of the question and your answer. For now I plan to use the 10-24DX in DX mode until I upgrade. This is 1 heck of a camera and good feedback about it in the forum. THX

Dan

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#115. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 113

Tue 03-Apr-12 10:43 PM

PS: Take a look at Darryl's comment about bad lenses in his post titled "Wanna read something really weird about my D800?". It related somewhat to our discussion.

Dan

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#116. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 109

Wed 04-Apr-12 01:36 AM

I would not expect them to be worse, and resulting images will likely appear better for a number of reasons including less noise, which can make the image look sharper.
Although a different sensor size, the same pixel density, when I went from a D90 to D7000, the lens that "improved" the most was the kit 18-105. It improved to the point of being added to my "serious" bag, the one with the weight and all pro lenses.
Most comments on the web claim the D800 will require better lenses, even the post by a self appointed expert on this thread. That does not make sense unless it is based on viewing at pixel level, comparing apples with bananas. Images of the same size, bad lenses ought to be less bad with the D800.
Those have actually tried some of their old Dx lenses on their D800 seem not to subscribe to the "gotta through out all but the stellar lenses" theory. There are not many lenses made that do not out-resolve cameras. Having one that might does not introduce more distortion, CA, and less micro contrast or color saturation suddenly.
It will still have those properties but higher res and lower noise might make them more appealing. My great lenses did not improve much going from D90 to D7000 but my pedestrian lenses did. I have no reason to expect anything different when going to a D800.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Arkayem

6133 posts

#117. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 116

Wed 04-Apr-12 12:04 PM

>Most comments on the web claim the D800 will require better
>lenses, even the post by a self appointed expert on this
>thread. That does not make sense unless it is based on viewing
>at pixel level, comparing apples with bananas. Images of the
>same size, bad lenses ought to be less bad with the D800.

You are exactly right. However, the first thing everyone does when they buy a new camera, is look at the images at 100% (or higher), and when they don't look sharp, they immediately complain. Then, if they try a pro lens, they will see that the images are sharp at 100% or higher, so they blame their consumer lens for the problem.

The point is that if you want to be able to take advantage of the amazing resolution of this camera, you really have to use pro lenses.

If 12MP images, which don't exceed the resolution capabilities of consumer lenses, meet your needs, then you probably could buy a D700 and save some money.

Of course, if you need video on your FX camera, then the D800 or D4 are your only choices.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1372 posts

#118. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2005
Tue 03-Apr-12 11:56 PM

For what it's worth Nikon has chosen the following lenses in it's D800 brochure:

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII
Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED
Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VRII

I'm feeling feverish. NAS has a stong hold on me. I'm having visions of the D800 and my tax refund is just around the corner.

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#119. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 118

Wed 04-Apr-12 12:17 AM | edited Wed 04-Apr-12 09:31 AM by jpFoto

deleted by author.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#120. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 118

Wed 04-Apr-12 10:16 AM

>I'm feeling feverish. NAS has a stong hold on me. I'm having
>visions of the D800 and my tax refund is just around the
>corner.

This *@*#& camera has been expensive. NAS took hold, and I have ended up with three (THREE!) new lenses in the switch to FX. The camera was the cheap part.

There is no cure for NAS, just temporary relief, occasional remission, and inevitable relapse. Drugs are not only useless, but they take funds away from the only pallative. Studies have shown that stronger and stronger doses of these pallatives are required (these are noted on the box by smaller and smaller numbers following the "F", and ironically named "stop" to taunt you since you know you cannot). The government in the US is considering new warning labels, images of photographers' bodies, crushed under the weight of lenses and cameras as they burst from inadequate camera bags, gold rings shining in the sun (unfortunately the government attempts at photographing these led to purchase of new cameras, they became infected themselves with NAS and lost interest in the project).

Beware, the D800 is a gateway camera. It leads to new FX addiction. They tell you it's not addictive, that you can quit any time, but....

Oh... never mind... got to go check the nikon rumors site, see what the next lens coming may be....

rhulbert

North Vancouver, CA
586 posts

#121. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 120

rhulbert Team Member Winner of the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded for his limitless enthusiasm and extraordinarily genial nature consistently in support of Nikonians Writer Ribbon awarded for his generous and valuable contributions to the Nikonians Articles (Resources) section. Charter Member
Wed 04-Apr-12 11:15 AM

>There is no cure for NAS, just temporary relief, occasional
>remission, and inevitable relapse.

Hi Linwood,

My condolences ...
I, too, have been bitten by the NAS bug. Worse yet, it is has now resulted in GAS ... Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Medically speaking, it has metastasized into SAS, FAS, and LAS.

For what it's worth, I appreciated your post. When I get my D800E, I will be playing (I'm sorry...Testing) a number of lens alternatives to see the real world impact of various lens designs and types.

Rick Hulbert
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.rickhulbertphotography.com

Member, Nikonians Academy Faculty
https://www.nikoniansacademy.com/viewFacultyPage.html?page_id=8

Arkayem

6133 posts

#122. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 120

Wed 04-Apr-12 12:05 PM

>>I'm feeling feverish. NAS has a stong hold on me. I'm
>having
>>visions of the D800 and my tax refund is just around the
>>corner.
>
>This *@*#& camera has been expensive. NAS took hold, and
>I have ended up with three (THREE!) new lenses in the switch
>to FX. The camera was the cheap part.
>
>There is no cure for NAS, just temporary relief, occasional
>remission, and inevitable relapse. Drugs are not only
>useless, but they take funds away from the only pallative.
>Studies have shown that stronger and stronger doses of these
>pallatives are required (these are noted on the box by smaller
>and smaller numbers following the "F", and
>ironically named "stop" to taunt you since you know
>you cannot). The government in the US is considering new
>warning labels, images of photographers' bodies, crushed under
>the weight of lenses and cameras as they burst from inadequate
>camera bags, gold rings shining in the sun (unfortunately the
>government attempts at photographing these led to purchase of
>new cameras, they became infected themselves with NAS and lost
>interest in the project).
>
>Beware, the D800 is a gateway camera. It leads to new FX
>addiction. They tell you it's not addictive, that you can
>quit any time, but....
>
>Oh... never mind... got to go check the nikon rumors site, see
>what the next lens coming may be....

LOL!!!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

bwanaaa

US
7 posts

#123. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 04-Apr-12 10:30 AM

why doesnt anyone here like zeiss? wouldn't the 21 f2.8 have enough sharpness?

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#124. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 123

Wed 04-Apr-12 10:38 AM | edited Wed 04-Apr-12 09:57 PM by RRRoger

Quote>why doesn't anyone here like zeiss?
Wouldn't the 21 f2.8 have enough sharpness?<Quote<<<

They are too expensive.
The Nikkors are more than "good enough".
And, I prefer AF-S Zooms
And sometimes VR can be handy too.

grillij

Piedmont,Qc, CA
253 posts

#125. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 123

Wed 04-Apr-12 12:07 PM

>why doesnt anyone here like zeiss? wouldn't the 21 f2.8 have
>enough sharpness?

They are all manual focus - only good for the young eyes

Jacques G

Arkayem

6133 posts

#126. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 123

Wed 04-Apr-12 12:11 PM

>why doesnt anyone here like zeiss? wouldn't the 21 f2.8 have
>enough sharpness?

I have tried Zeiss, and I personally think the Nikkors are as good if not better, and definitely less expensive. With Zeiss, you are paying dearly and, I believe, unjustifiably, for the brand.

Also, all Nikon cameras are designed, tested, and adjusted to Nikkor lens specs to achieve the best possible IQ.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#127. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 126

Wed 04-Apr-12 01:27 PM | edited Wed 04-Apr-12 01:30 PM by GiantTristan

>I have tried Zeiss, and I personally think the Nikkors are as
>good if not better, and definitely less expensive. With Zeiss,
>you are paying dearly and, I believe, unjustifiably, for the
>brand.

I have tested the Nikons 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 on the D700 against my Zeiss 35/2.0 and 100/2.0 at f/2.8 and f/8 and compared center and corner crops for sharpness, color and micro contrast. In all cases the Zeiss lenses were substantially better. On the other hand, the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is commensurate with the performance of the Zeiss lenses, though I did not use a Zeiss 21/2.8 for a direct comparison.

Regarding manual focus - you can always use the "green dot" for focus confirmation and for sharp focus there is "Live View" as the best alternative..

If you don't like the manual Zeiss primes, there are always the Nikon 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 85/1.4 which are as good as the Zeiss lenses and have a similar price tag.

Tristan

Arkayem

6133 posts

#128. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 127

Wed 04-Apr-12 01:49 PM

>I have tested the Nikons 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 on the D700
>against my Zeiss 35/2.0 and 100/2.0 at f/2.8 and f/8 and
>compared center and corner crops for sharpness, color and
>micro contrast. In all cases the Zeiss lenses were
>substantially better.

You tested zooms versus primes. Of course, the Zeiss primes should be better.

>Regarding manual focus - you can always use the "green
>dot" for focus confirmation and for sharp focus there is
>"Live View" as the best alternative..

Both of these manual focus methods are way too slow for the work I do. I need instant autofocus. And I need 24-70mm zoom.

I think I am in a similar situation with many others, and that, in addition to the higher cost, is why very few people here talk about Zeiss lenses.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#129. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 128

Wed 04-Apr-12 03:01 PM

>Both of these manual focus methods are way too slow for the
>work I do.

I guess that is the reason why commercial video cameras use manual focus...

Tristan

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#130. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 129

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Wed 04-Apr-12 04:12 PM

Yes. They're usually in a highly-controlled environment where situations are scripted out in advance, subjects placed precisely, and then they shoot multiple sequences until they get it right. It's very different from what some still photographers have to handle.

We don't all shoot the same subject matter or have the same styles. For some, manual focus lenses are fine. For others, they're not desirable.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

laddad

Kinston, NC, US
1372 posts

#131. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 128

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2005
Wed 04-Apr-12 08:44 PM

I would seriously consider a Zeiss if they would learn to autofocus!

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2690 posts

#132. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 131

Thu 05-Apr-12 12:15 AM

The wider angle Zeiss lenses such as the 21/2.8, 25/2 and 35/2 are very easy and fast to focus. You can also set the lens at hyper focal distance at f/11, aperture priority, and you have an outstanding P&S to "walk around with".

Don't forget that even fast sports are shot by professionals with manual focus, though I would not want to try this myself.

Why don't you rent a 25/2 for your D300 and see for yourself - you will have lots of fun. This is much better than relying on hearsay. Remember - some people are also scared to drive a car with a stick shift...

Tristan

HSSwan

Hollywood, US
58 posts

#133. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 132

HSSwan Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 24th Jun 2006
Fri 13-Apr-12 08:26 PM

Hmm, I couldn't find a Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 anyplace but Samy's, my local dealer. Nothing online at the NY shops or at least the ones I know. I think the D800 has forced the demand and exhausted the supply.

I'm getting a D800e and I don't have a 14-24! What am I going to do?

Amazing.

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#134. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 133

Fri 13-Apr-12 08:38 PM

Check this site out. They track the stock on a number of Nikon lenses.

http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/lenses/nikon/

Chuck

D3s, D300, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VRI and VRIIx2, 80-400 VR, Sigma 150-500.

dgberg

Mohnton,Pa., US
1205 posts

#135. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 134

dgberg Dan is an accomplished photographer and fine art printer. With his fine art printing business and workshop experience he eagerly shares a unique perspective with all Nikonians - how to produce salable professional prints to discerning customers and teaching those skills. Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Sun 15-Apr-12 04:23 PM | edited Sun 15-Apr-12 04:42 PM by dgberg

I have a D800e on the way. Hopefully before the end of the summer.
Not going to be my walk around camera either. I have the Nex 7 for that.
(Fantastic camera by the way!)
I almost went medium format for my pano work but elected to get the D800e instead.
Just purchased the Nikon mount Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 as my first wide prime and am using it on the Nex with the Novaflex adapter. Looking forward to seeing the results with it on the D800e before making any more lens transactions. It is one sharp lens!
Shot of the zeiss on the Nex 7

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
www.bergscustomfurniture.com

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#136. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 135

Sun 15-Apr-12 11:05 PM

I think for wide angle landscape shots, autofocus is not a must, Zeiss may be the way to go ... Post samples ASAP !

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#137. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 135

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Sun 15-Apr-12 11:16 PM

The ideal walk around lens on my D800 Is ____________ my50mm 1.4. I zoom by walking forward or backward.

yunjo

Portland, US
75 posts

#138. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 137

yunjo Registered since 06th Jul 2008
Mon 16-Apr-12 12:30 AM | edited Mon 16-Apr-12 02:31 AM by yunjo

Having shot the "holy trinity" this weekend on my D800, I must say that the 24-70 and 70-200 VRII are excellent. The 14-24 is very good but overall tends to be just a touch softer than the other two...most noticed when viewing 100% on a monitor.

Arkayem

6133 posts

#139. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 137

Mon 16-Apr-12 01:16 AM

>The ideal walk around lens on my D800 Is ____________ my50mm
>1.4. I zoom by walking forward or backward.

Ahhh, the trusty 'sneaker zoom'!

I have that feature on some of my lenses, too!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#140. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 137

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Mon 16-Apr-12 10:14 AM

It seems that the 50/F1.4 (and maybe the F1.8) is not very good at the D800. Some guy mentioned this ealier in the thread, and the 50mm is not listed as a recommended lens.

I use one on my D700, I'd love if anyone with a D800 could see how they like the results of the 50mm's.

As for the 24-120/F4, it is tack sharp from F5.6 in the 24-70(85)mm - from 70 to 120, it gets soft - but still fine, and so much better that not having the reach with the 24-70 - on a D700. Time will tell how I will like it on a D800. I think I'll like it a LOT.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#141. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 140

Mon 16-Apr-12 08:28 PM

I tested my 50 f/1.8D on my D800 and it seems to work fine. Not as sharp as my 105vr or 70-200vr...but still pretty sharp and clear.

Dan

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#142. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 141

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Tue 17-Apr-12 10:20 AM

I guess my 50mm f/1.4G will be too. Thanks.

SRoss43

US
51 posts

#143. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 142

SRoss43 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Tue 17-Apr-12 05:41 PM

I read somewhere that for some reason the 50mm 1.4 G was not as good as the 1.8. Hard to believe, but I get mixed reviews on many lenses. The opinions go from bad to good on the 24-120, so it is hard to say who is right.
I have the 1.8 but I also use two manual focus lenses, the 55 f2.8 macro and the 55 f1.2. They work well when you need them and have time to focus.

Macdude4

US
4 posts

#144. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 133

Macdude4 Registered since 15th Oct 2009
Sun 15-Apr-12 11:47 PM

I ordered a 14-24 from Amazon, should be here monday

Last I checked they still have some in stock

nikonus

Southern California, US
505 posts

#145. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 144

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Mon 16-Apr-12 09:38 AM

I have had my 14 -24 for a few weeks , just shooting on DX bodies . I am more than please with its sharpness . The delay in my D800 being shipped may be a blessing , as the bug fixes and fine tuning will be better than the earlier shipment .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

trialcritic

Palo Alto, US
43 posts

#146. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 144

Mon 16-Apr-12 03:35 PM

Have been using the 14-24 with my D800, it is superb. Got it from Amazon.

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#147. ",RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 146

DiamondPhotography Registered since 29th Dec 2010
Tue 17-Apr-12 05:59 PM

Is the consensus that 50mm 1.4 d/g are not good on D800?

North East Wedding Photographer

parallaxphotos

US
43 posts

#148. "RE: Ideal lenses for NIKON D 800?" | In response to Reply # 85

parallaxphotos Registered since 07th May 2012
Mon 07-May-12 02:01 PM

>My suggestion is to find a store that will rent the D800 so
>that it can be used with the existing lenses for the photos
>that will be taken with it. There remains brick/mortar stores
>that will provide this servce and may apply the rental
>fee(s)to the purchase.

I have noticed a decided hatred of brick wall shots in this thread. If you rent from a brick and mortar store, don't shoot any pictures of the bricks and/or mortar

G