Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Wed 09-May-12 03:27 PM | edited Wed 09-May-12 03:29 PM by esantos

Here is the Excel version (.xls) of the D800 Configuration & Settings Spreadsheet I posted a few days ago.

This is now the FULL RELEASE version - I am attaching both the Excel and updated Apple iWork Numbers versions.

As I have not yet had my hands on the camera (still waiting for my pre-order to arrive), I have set most of the settings in the spreadsheets to standard Nikon default settings, but you can play around with them to set the camera up to suit your shooting preferences.

Please read the Instructions on the first worksheet "Introduction" to get a feel of how to use this tool.

I hope it proves helpful! I would welcome any comments or any problems that you may find with it.

MODERATOR'S UPDATE WITH LATEST FILE VERSIONS AS OF 05-08-2012:

Here are the three updated Version 1.2.1 sheets:

Excel .xls UNLOCKED Vesion 1.2.1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12844510/D800_Settings_vs_1.2.1/D800_Settings_Excel_v1.2.1_unlocked.xls

Excel .xls LOCKED Version 1.2.1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12844510/D800_Settings_vs_1.2.1/D800_Settings_Excel_v1.2.1_locked.xls

Apple iWork Numbers Versions 1.2.1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12844510/D800_Settings_vs_1.2.1/D800_Settings_iWork_Numbers_v1.2.1.numbers

I have also attached a Non-Interactive .pdf version so you can see what it looks like (the settings shown in the cells in this version are of course only illustrative of the selection(s) that had been made when this "snapshot" was taken.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/user_files/222148.pdf

I would also like to acknowledge the terrific help that Eric Bowles and Ernesto Santos have given me in getting the orginal Numbers version of this tool to work in Excel, and for their great advice generally. Thank you gentlemen!

Cheers!

Chris

Attachment#1 (pdf file)

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 26-Mar-12 04:11 PM

The "Dropbox" links in the above post are UPDATED versions of those in my earlier post.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Tue 27-Mar-12 09:51 AM

Thank you for the effort.

I'm curious how people manage their default settings, other than on paper (i.e. excel).

What I've always wanted since my first camera with shooting banks is a way to save in the bank settings, and then recall them when needed. E.g.

- Call up my "sports" setting
- Shoot, change settings, etc.
- (Time passes, maybe I do other things)
- Call up my "Sports" setting and get the same original settings

The problem is that the camera does not use these as a place to save settings so much as a working area. When you are "in" bank A, any changes are saved in bank A becoming the new normal. So if after my sports shoot I go inside, change some settings but forget I am on "sports" bank, I just polluted my "sports" bank.

If I save to CF card they just disappear every time I change cards or format.

I tried using a separate CF card just for savings, but that lasted through one use -- too much hassle.

To me what would be preferable was a "load from bank" and "save to bank" option, and the camera was always "working". Then I could "load from bank Sport" and do whatever I wanted, and know what I last saved in "Sport" is still there.

Then I could take this spreadsheet and carefully configure it, save it in a bank, and I'm ready to go.

How to real photographers use banks, and avoid polluting them with changes? Or maybe more on topic, people using these spreadsheets -- do they just carry paper along as a checklist? (eventually perhaps committed to memory)?

Ps. With the D800 and two cards, I may now have a bit more luck with "load from" and "save to" cards as an alternative, if I can remember not to format the other card.
Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 27-Mar-12 08:11 PM

Thanks, Linwood.

Yes, you are right, the Menu Banks in the camera, which you may have just configured, appear to be "lost" when you make a change to them, which isn't very helpful!

As you say, you can save the settings to a card(s) "reserved" for this purpose (I have "older slower" cards for this), which is what I do, and take along with me.

Unfortunately there is no way, at least that I have discovored, to "upload" the settings from this spreadsheet, for example, to the camera's card.

With my D7000 I used to set up the camera as per the settings I had configured in the D7000 Configuration spreadsheet, and then, if I was travelling, I would simply print off a .pdf of the shooting and custom settings sheets and take them with me for reference in case I had a senior moment. After a little while they lodged in my grey matter somewhere and I didn't often have to refer to the sheets (and of course there were those U1 and U2 settings).

I also stored the tool on line, so if I had an internet connection somewhere, I could get at them that way.

But the D800 seems to have a lot more things to memorize, and wont tolerate our human memory losses so well - so I may have to do some tactical re-thinking!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 28-Mar-12 04:45 PM

For those that use iPads I can confirm that the Apple iWork Numbers version of the D800 Configuation Settings Tool (posted above) does work fine in iOS for Numbers on the iPad. I think that App costs $9.99 in iTunes and it syncs with iCloud

The only change in the way it runs is that conditional formatting is not supported on iOS - but all that means in practice is that when you change a setting in a cell, and the value you selct is not a "Default" value, then that cell does not turn yellow (as it does in all the other versions)!

I hope this is useful,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

winthrop

Thousand Oaks, US
295 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 4

winthrop Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 29-Mar-12 11:41 PM

Chris (and Eric and Ernesto)

Thanks! This is great.

Bob

visit my gallery

Bokeh888

South Florida, US
92 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011
Fri 30-Mar-12 12:19 AM

Thank you very much. This is greatly appreciated.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 30-Mar-12 02:40 PM | edited Tue 03-Apr-12 08:49 PM by esantos

Thanks Guys - I just need the camera now!

I have updated these versions with some minor adds and corrections. I have added Live View Focusing options, such as Face-priority AF etc. to the Pre-shoot sheet, have corrected the incomplete selections for WB in the Shooting Menu and made some formatting adjustments (see "Version History" on the Introduction sheet for details). I am going to leave it at that for now until I get the camera in my hands, hopefully on the April 12th!

Cheers,

Chris

Moderator has updated the links in the original post. Please use the links in post #1 to download the latest versions.

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

skibud1

US
20 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

skibud1 Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 10:57 PM

I'm brand new to the forum - still have to setup all my preferences, but I have to first thank you for this information.

Fantastic Job!

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 02-Apr-12 12:12 AM

Welcome aboard!

I hope it proves helpful to you - you'll find a lot of good stuff here, along with some incredibly friendly and extremely knowledgable people.

Enjoy,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

ChipEckardt

US
23 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 9

ChipEckardt Registered since 02nd Apr 2012
Tue 03-Apr-12 12:26 AM

Thanks for providing the spreadsheet. I have been away from taking pictures for several years. Ordered a D800 and will be getting back into photography.

Chip

mkaplan

Kitchener, CA
94 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

mkaplan Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2012
Wed 04-Apr-12 02:02 AM

As a new D800 user and new to Nikon as well, this will go a long way to help make sure I can set the camera up the best I can.
Thanks for doing this.

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 04-Apr-12 01:58 PM

Welcome to Nikon and your new D800 - I hope this will help your transition!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

SRoss43

US
51 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

SRoss43 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Tue 10-Apr-12 01:02 PM

Love the detail. Very helpful (when I grt the camera).

Ken Rockwell commented on the the lack of "Use" switches like on the D7000, and combined with the complex menu, difficulty in switching from Sports to Portrait, etc. These listings help a lot.

What I think may be a rather easy feature to incorporate into the camera is to export your settings to your card, and let the menu switch easily between groups of settings. We need some camera hackers out there.

Thanks again.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 10-Apr-12 01:40 PM

Yes that would be useful - there are some efforts going on now to try and come up with some software to transfer settings from the Camara to the card and vice versa - see this thread for work that Christo has done with the D7000:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=329&topic_id=15091&prev_page=show_topic&gid=15091#15270

It's not quite as easy as it sounds! And of course the D800 and other "pro" cameras" don't have the U1 and U2 equivalents to revert back to if settings are changed in the camera.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Blondul Registered since 27th Dec 2011
Wed 25-Apr-12 05:20 AM

Thanks a lot! Great job!
Stelian

apetit2012

St-Bruno, CA
4 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

apetit2012 Registered since 14th Feb 2012
Wed 25-Apr-12 11:45 AM

Thank you for these "D800 Configuration Settings"

BTY...Just received my D800 yesterday!!! from L.L. Lozezu in Montréal.

André

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#17. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 25-Apr-12 03:14 PM

Congratulations on your D800 - still waiting for mine despite promises that I would have it by now!

Hope the spreadsheet proves helpful for you.

Enjoy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Buffalo

White Salmon, US
18 posts

#18. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 13

Buffalo Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 03-May-12 11:12 AM

Page 335 in the D800 User Manual addresses this, if I understand your post correctly.

John

vchelf

Houston, US
284 posts

#19. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

vchelf Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Sep 2009
Thu 03-May-12 12:22 PM

I am not seeing the spreadsheets. There is a PDF file link in the first post. Is that the file to use?

Best regards,

Victor Chelf (vchelf)
Houston, TX

Visit my Zenfolio gallery.

D3Xwannabe

Williamsburg, US
267 posts

#20. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

D3Xwannabe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2009
Fri 04-May-12 12:46 AM

Chris:

In two words: Outstanding! Thanks!!

Cheers,

CARL
D3Xwannabe

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#21. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 08-May-12 09:55 PM | edited Wed 09-May-12 09:12 PM by chroaz

UPDATE TO D800 CONFIGURATION SETTINGS SPREADSHEETS

I have updated the D800 Configuration spreadsheets, correcting a couple of errors and adding some functionality (full details in the version notes on the "Instructions" page).

You can download the updated versions from the dropbox links at the top of this thread.

Enjoy, and please let me know if you find any errors or have any suggestions!

Chris

EDIT: The links updated by the MOD on 5/8/2012 (and now in the pinned post at the top of this thread) contain additional content corrections made on 5/9/2012. The dropbox links will download the updated files. If you downloaded from these links on 5/8/2012, you may want to download them again so as you have the latest version. The version notes contain details of the changes. The .PDF "sample" file has not been updated.

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

NW Digital

US
16 posts

#22. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

NW Digital Registered since 20th Nov 2007
Tue 08-May-12 11:13 PM

Thank you! I just got my D800 a week ago (No, it is not a replacement for my trusty D700). This is, as they say in the adverts, "Priceless". Much appreciated!

Sheila

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#23. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 22

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Mon 21-May-12 04:14 PM

Any chance someone who has spend time setting up the banks as suggested in the excel sheet would be willing to share the bin file with the rest of us??

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#24. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 21-May-12 04:26 PM

Henrik - Mike Hagen has a bin file for the D800 with his settings available for download from his website Out There Images.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Henry64

DK
142 posts

#25. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 24

Henry64 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2008
Thu 24-May-12 05:48 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks, that's also where I got my D700 bin from

I just thought, there ought to be a bin file in this forum as well. Maybe someone here knows Mike well enough to ask him if it would be okay to either link to or copy his file here.

tcuneo

San Jose,, US
12 posts

#26. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 18

tcuneo Registered since 13th May 2012
Wed 30-May-12 11:00 AM

Thanks. This is definitely the solution to saving/restoring the settings.
Tim

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

#27. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Devek Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2012
Sun 10-Jun-12 11:23 PM

Chris and Eric,

This is my first post with Nikonians.org. I've just learned about the website and decided to check it out.

I love my D7000 and I love more my D800. Both with advantages and disadvantages against each other and against my Sony A55.

I usually keep my settings in a spreadsheet and keep uploading it to my cell phone, so I can open it in Quick Office Pro and adjust as needed, as well as try new settings.

Looking at all the different topics here and the filtering of garbage out of this website by the Admins, I will probably join as a paid member soon.

At the meantime, I wanted to thank you both for putting this spreadsheet together. I'm SLOWLY venturing into shooting portraits and humans (no weddings though) as requests are keep coming, and your specific settings are just the lucky set I was looking for!

So, thanks again.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#28. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 27

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Mon 11-Jun-12 02:05 AM | edited Mon 11-Jun-12 02:08 AM by Tinkers Realm

Thank you so much- your spreadsheets have been invaluable to me. I did change a few small things like cleaning the sensor only on shutdown just to save the fraction of time delay when it was set on start up & down. In addition, I turned off Active D lightening in all banks as I can edit in pp.
I would be interested to know- how do I save these to CF card and then how to retrieve from the CF card to install in camera if needed?

Thanks again!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#29. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 28

Mon 11-Jun-12 02:23 PM

Devek - Welcome to Nikonians! Glad you are finding the spreadsheet helpful.

Tinkers Realm - Actually you can't save/upload the Spreadsheet settings to the card (yet = but that's a big challenge), but of course you can save/load your camera settings to and from the card as is described on Page 335 of the manual, which also includes what settings can be saved.

FYI, I also turn Active D lighting off! The settings on the spreadsheet were mostly the Nikon deafaults to be changes as you prefer.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

FL_Investor

US
31 posts

#30. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 29

FL_Investor Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Tue 12-Jun-12 01:15 AM

These are excellent. Thank you so much for posting these.

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#31. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 29

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Tue 12-Jun-12 02:33 AM

OK, I will read pg. 335-I used to know how to do this but have not done it often enough to remember-Thxs!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#32. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Tue 03-Jul-12 05:02 PM

Chris,

Thank you very much for sharing your spreadsheet. It is great to have for somebody like me who is anal retentive... er... uh... I mean well organized!

Rocky

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10639 posts

#33. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 28

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 03-Jul-12 05:39 PM

Just one thought on Active D-Lighting. ADL may adjust exposure and applies a complex curve to enhance shadows while retaining bright areas. If you are using a Nikon program or other program that reads the camera settings, the software uses the ADL setting. If not, it is ignored except the exposure adjustment if any will be maintained.

If ADL is active on any setting, it can be adjusted in post processing to any other ADL setting or it can be turned off. Of course, the exposure adjustment cannot be changed in post processing. If ADL is Off in the original shot, you cannot activate ADL in post.

Using ADL Low, there is no exposure adjustment. ADL Normal reduces exposure by 0.3 stops, ADL High by 0.7 stops, and ADL Extra High by 1.0 stops. Each applies an increasingly aggressive curve to create the proper image.

In my testing, the ADL curve could not be easily replicated with simple adjustments in post processing. I found the curve applied in the camera did a pretty good job and for high contrast images was better than what I could do without significant effort in post processing.

I use ADL Low as my default setting since it does not adjust exposure and simply applies a curve to recover shadows and control highlights. This allows me to use the alternate ADL settings in post processing. It also helps to avoid blinkies or blown highlights which might otherwise be controlled with exposure compensation.

If you have an Adobe centric workflow, there is no disadvantage to ADL Low. The exposure would be unchanged and the curve would be ignored. But you would retain the data in the RAW file and could use it later if software permits.

If you have a Nikon based workflow, or use Photo Mechanic or other programs that use the Nikon settings, ADL Low makes a pretty good adjustment and gives you some additional options in post processing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#34. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 33

Tue 03-Jul-12 07:08 PM

Eric, thank you for that - very useful info ineed and a helpful explanation of how ADL works in practice. I am going to experiment!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#35. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 32

Tue 03-Jul-12 07:10 PM

Happy you find it useful, Rocky. Enjoy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#36. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 33

mabuge Registered since 18th Mar 2012
Wed 04-Jul-12 02:26 PM

Since I don't make use the DOF button, I replaced its function by the ADL adjustment (together with the main command dial), which is pretty handy in backlight situations. I always put it back to Off after shooting, but from now on I will use Low as the standard setting. I hope Aperture 4 will offer ADL post processing. Thank you for the advice Eric. Marc

tlqueen

Yukon, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#37. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 35

tlqueen Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2008
Sat 14-Jul-12 01:41 AM

Thank you. Got my 800 today. This is a wonderful tool for helping me get to know it.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#38. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 37

Sat 14-Jul-12 01:57 PM

Congratulations! Enjoy your D800. I noticed the other day there was a small ommission in Custom Settings menu f/6, which should have included "AE lock only" in one of the menu choices. I will update the tool shortly.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Mudhead59

Greenfield, US
3 posts

#39. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Mudhead59 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2012
Fri 20-Jul-12 10:51 AM

Chris:
Your spreadsheet is a real blessing. I got my D800 a week or so ago, and I started a spreadsheet that is a 3rd grade version of your post-graduate masterpiece. I might have ended up with an 8th grade version in a couple months' of work, but you have saved me an immense amount of time and effort. If you're ever near Indianapolis (Greenfield specifically), give me a holler and I'll buy you a beer. Great job...and thanks for sharing!
Dave Medved

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#40. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 39

Fri 20-Jul-12 01:28 PM

Great, Dave - glad it saved you some time. I'll be sure to take you up on that beer if I'm in your neighborhood!

Cheers,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

ckhuu

VN
9 posts

#41. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 40

ckhuu Registered since 25th Jul 2012
Wed 25-Jul-12 03:25 PM

Priceless, that's all i can say!
New to the forum and just received my D800 a week ago.
cheers and thanks!

BigEZ

US
39 posts

#42. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 41

BigEZ Registered since 21st Mar 2012
Sat 28-Jul-12 09:43 AM

Got my 'E' a couple of days ago...I'm stoked.
Thanks for the spread sheet. Very useful info.
Just coming over from C...
Now ...how do I turn this thing on:0

Thanks....Ken

KEN

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#43. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 42

Sat 28-Jul-12 04:15 PM

Page 6,471 in the manual under "Power" !

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

RavenDog

Jeannette, US
154 posts

#44. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 42

RavenDog Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2009
Sat 11-Aug-12 08:22 PM

Thanks Chris!

How can I print these out and get them all on the standard sheets correctly?

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7109 posts

#45. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 44

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 11-Aug-12 10:34 PM

The ShootingMenu and CustomSettings tabs need to be printed in landscape mode. Other than that, what problems are you having?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#46. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 45

Sun 12-Aug-12 03:03 PM

Yes, as Joseph says, just size them appropriately for the printer and paper size you are using.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#47. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Sat 18-Aug-12 02:56 AM

Thank you for these. After checking various websites for over a month I got lucky and ordered a D800E. Tracking says it will be here Monday. I cannot wait to get this to compare with my 3yr old D90. I am hoping I am knocked off my chair when i compare IQ and higher ISO.

Now to convince my wife that i DO need the Sigma 120-300 ;- >

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#48. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 47

Sat 18-Aug-12 04:39 PM

Congratulations! You will be! She'll love for for it

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

michelpoirier

Chambly, CA
11 posts

#49. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

michelpoirier Registered since 24th Aug 2012
Fri 24-Aug-12 03:26 PM

I used to configured my old D200 and D300 with these settings (long time ago). I'm more than happy to see they're still around with the D800 settings.

Dibyendu1

IN
3 posts

#50. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 2

Dibyendu1 Registered since 25th Aug 2012
Sat 25-Aug-12 11:39 AM

Dear Chris,

Thanks for the effort.

I downloaded both locked and unlocked version. But while opening it is throwing an error that the format is different from .xls. While I open ignoring this it opens with blank sheet.

Please let me know I whether I did some mistake ?

Regards,

Dibyendu

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10639 posts

#51. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 50

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 25-Aug-12 12:07 PM

I just tested it and it worked fine.

What is your hardware and software configuration. Are you using Windows and a 2003 or later version of Excel?

Have you tried opening Excel and then opening the file from within Excel?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#52. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 50

Sat 25-Aug-12 07:40 PM

Dibyendu - make sure you are using the right version of Excel and that you are downloading the .xls rather than the Numbers version.

The spreadsheet is compatible (.xls version) with Excel 2007 for Windows 7, and Excel 2011 for Mac.

I just checked both and they run fine - I am not sure about later versions of Excel.

Hope that helps,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

FL_Investor

US
31 posts

#53. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 49

FL_Investor Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Sun 23-Sep-12 11:04 PM

This is a GREAT spreadsheet....thank you for your time !!

Footman

New Ross, IE
2 posts

#54. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Footman Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Mon 08-Oct-12 05:21 PM

Got my D800 a few weeks ago - now I have some work ahead of me using this fantastic information!!

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

#55. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sun 04-Nov-12 01:39 PM | edited Sun 04-Nov-12 01:47 PM by jamesvoortman

I have a slightly different take on the Settings banks, aimed at getting more versatility programmed in without needing to make as many changes while shooting.

On my D200 and later D300 I had them set up as many have done ; both the shooting menu and custom settings menu had the same categories (in my case Normal, Landscape, action/wildlife, tripod/macro). This effectively gives 4 cameras in one. when shooting e.g. action/wildlife I would adjust both the settings banks to the relevant option. With this approach I still found that I often had to make further on-the-spot changes to suit the scene.

I always had the view that if the tweo sets of banks could be configured as a 4x4 matrix of settings - you would effectively get 16 different cameras and much more versatility. This requires the two banks to have appropriately independent sets of features (more on this later) to get greatest versatility.

Now with the D800 I am having an extended think about this (bear with me while the gears grind ). Firstly though, have to state a baseline assumption that makes it all work : I post process using Capture NX2. This makes nearly all the features of NEF files available for change after the fact in post processing. Other post processing software does not make as much use of the info available in the NEF format (e.g. if you convert to .dng on importing to LR).

Critically, not all settings can be changed after the fact in software and these are the ones that must be made in-camera. In particular, choices relating to ISO and noise reduction, shutter speed, depth of field, supplementary lighting etc. must be made before the exposure occurs and cannot be fixed later. Some of these choices also cannot be adjusted without diving laboriously into the menus (e.g Noise reduction settings) This hints at where I am going.

The shooting settings menu could/should have been called the Image Development Menu. This would make it consistent with the "develop" tools in Capture NX2 and LR 4.x because all contain categories of settings that relate to the processing of image data (i.e. things that happen to the data during and after light hits the sensor). Stands to reason then that the setting banks in the shooting menu can be set up to respond not to the genre of photograph being taken, but to the nature of the light in which the photo is being taken. Consequently I have set up and am experimenting with following settings banks:
A - Good light (maximum responsiveness with high ISO NR, Long exposure NR turned off, Auto ISO on but restricted to very low noise range. ADL activated to compensate for stronger shadows in bright light
B - Low light Long Exp : This would occur on a tripod. Long exp. NR active, Fixed low ISO etc.
C - Low Light High SS : intended for action and wildlife in poor light so makes use of Auto ISO and high ISO NR to keep the SS high.
D - HDR : just for fun because its a novelty to me and requires jpeg output. when the novelty wears off I will find some other use for it but the plan for now is to keep this one for HDR, Multiple exposures and other fun stuff. Could be useful to set this one up to work with flash if you do a lot of supplementary lighting shots.

In these banks I have left settings such as WB, Picture Controls and others that can be altered in PP all at defualt values. At a later time I might choose WB presets for the poor light options because these will usually apply in overcast or shaded situations.

The one thing that is irritating is that for this approach to work even better, the Picture Controls should be in the custom settings menu and I also think the flash controls should be in the Shooting setting menu for better independence of the sets of options.

In the Custom Settings Menu I am setting up the banks in the conventional way to make choices of AF settings, exposure control, flash settings etc. to suit my favourite Walkaround/Candid, Landscape, Wildlife and Macro genres.

Any one of these genres can now be selected in combination with a lighting type from the Shooting Menu banks and voila! Not quite 16 cameras in one but I expect to do a lot less fiddling around in the menus when the light changes.

This approach might not suit all and I have not taken many pics with it yet. I would be interested to hear comments on the concept and some suggestions.

Visit

Dibyendu2

IN
5 posts

#56. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

Dibyendu2 Registered since 07th Dec 2012
Thu 13-Dec-12 04:58 PM

Its nice & useful. Thanks Chris.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#57. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 56

Thu 13-Dec-12 07:12 PM

Glad you find it useful - enjoy your Nikons.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

paustin

Palm Bay, US
62 posts

#58. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 1

paustin Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009
Fri 28-Dec-12 11:23 PM

Chris;
Thanks so much for the spreadsheet. It helped me plan the setup of my D800 Christmas Present. My experience with the D300 version of your spreadsheet sped things up a lot.

Here's a modest suggestion regarding the Extended Menu Banks option, I added a line immediately below the Extended Menu Banks line (Shooting Menu:12) called Extended Menu exposure mode. For each of the four banks I noted the exposure mode and intended default value for shutter speed or/and aperture (the user manual page reference is of course n/a). This lets me maintain configuration control of the default values stored.

As you've noted elsewhere, keeping a copy of the .bin file on a small SD card stored in my bag always lets me get back to ground truth after I screw up. The fact that the D300 file is named differently than the D800 allows both .bin files to live on the same reference SD card so I only have to carry one to serve both bodies.

Thanks again for your labors.
Paul

Paul F Austin
Visit my web site: pf-austin.com

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#59. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 58

Sat 29-Dec-12 12:43 AM

That's a useful suggestion, Paul, thanks. I use the banks a little differently now reserving one for "impromptu" settings that I can change at will and not worry that I have screwed up my defaults!

Glad the spreadsheet helped and enjoy your D800 - it's a great camera no matter what people say to the the contrary - one of the best, if not, THE best (at the price!), IMHO.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

bpman

UK
1 posts

#60. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

bpman Registered since 14th Mar 2013
Tue 26-Mar-13 05:19 AM

thanks Chris, I'm still learning all about my 800 .. all info greatly appreciated

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#61. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 60

Tue 26-Mar-13 05:48 AM

Thank you - enjoy this remarkable camera!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

DaddySS

Woodcliff Lake NJ, US
1039 posts

#62. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 55

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006
Mon 10-Jun-13 01:07 PM

I agree with that approach James, but what I haven't been able to organize on the D300 and now the 800 is how group them in a logical way that allows the interchangeability.

I'll have grind the gears more myself.

Richard

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

#63. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 62

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 10-Jun-13 05:39 PM

I tried setting up a matrix of the 16 combinations that are possible assuming you set the 4 Custom banks to genres and the 4 Shooting banks to lighting conditions : Not all the combinations are useful.

For example you would not use "low light on tripod" settings for action/sport photography and the "low light handheld" setting is really designed to maximise ISO and shutter speed to help you get the shot in poor light - it would not be much use for landscape photography at sunset with sky high ISO.

So in reality there are about 8 or 9 useful combinations out of the 16 possibles.

Visit

DaddySS

Woodcliff Lake NJ, US
1039 posts

#64. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006
Mon 10-Jun-13 07:29 PM

Outstanding, thanks so much!

Richard

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#65. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 64

Tue 11-Jun-13 03:45 PM

Glad it's helpful - enjoy!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

jeverton

Austin, US
132 posts

#66. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

jeverton Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007
Tue 10-Sep-13 09:37 PM | edited Tue 10-Sep-13 09:38 PM by jeverton

Thank you Chris!

I've recently rejoin Nikonians and made the official move to FX from DX! This information will be most beneficial in saving time during the configuration process.

Cheers,

Jeff

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams (1902-1984)

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#67. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 66

Wed 11-Sep-13 02:19 PM | edited Wed 11-Sep-13 02:19 PM by chroaz

Welcome back, Jeff - still a great group here! And welcome to FX - you'll find the the D800 / E a fantastic tool. Glad the settings sheets are helpful - they're only a start though and you'll find all sorts of different ways to set up your D800 for what you do - but at least you will be able to record them in the spreadsheet.

Cheers!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

jsteinauer

Buena Vista, US
5 posts

#68. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 67

jsteinauer Registered since 03rd Oct 2011
Wed 11-Sep-13 02:35 PM | edited Wed 11-Sep-13 02:48 PM by jsteinauer

I saved the configuration sheet a few months ago and just tried to open it and it said the page was no longer available. What do I do now?

Thanks, I simply down loaded and saved it again, this time in the Cloud.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#69. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 68

Wed 11-Sep-13 02:43 PM

Just download it again from the Forum - it should work fine ... and does!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

dglas_1

Spokane, US
354 posts

#70. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

dglas_1 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2007
Fri 27-Sep-13 10:41 PM

any idea why these links do not work for me? Using an imac v 10.8.5. clicking on any accept the pdf file gives no results. Am using Chrome for browser.

Douglas

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#71. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 70

Fri 27-Sep-13 10:59 PM | edited Fri 27-Sep-13 10:59 PM by chroaz

Douglas - I just checked them with OS 10.85 (Safari on iMac) and they work just fine - the file gets downloaded directly to the Downloads folder so you do not see it in the window on the screen. If you check your Downloads folder it should be there.

Unfortunately I do not use or have Chrome.

Hope this helps,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

dglas_1

Spokane, US
354 posts

#72. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 71

dglas_1 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2007
Sat 28-Sep-13 12:15 AM

>Douglas - I just checked them with OS 10.85 (Safari on iMac)
>and they work just fine - the file gets downloaded directly to
>the Downloads folder so you do not see it in the window on the
>screen. If you check your Downloads folder it should be
>there.
>
>Unfortunately I do not use or have Chrome.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Chris

Thanks Chris -- I had tried it on three different days and nothing appeared in the download folder. I just tried it again. This time I clicked on a little panel at the bottom of the window that shows the file name and that apparently put it in the download folder. So I do now have it. Computers are sometimes hard to figure.

GregS_0312

Brentwood, US
15 posts

#73. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

GregS_0312 Registered since 21st Jun 2013
Mon 06-Jan-14 05:36 PM

GregS, Brentwood, CA my Nikonians gallery.

Chris,

Thanks very much for this comprehensive Excel configuration template. I just got my D800 this past week, and had been feverishly reading Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D800" over the weekend so I could familiarize myself with all of the features. This will make the process of configuring my D800 a whole lot easier.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Greg Stais

bkruppa

Bluffton, US
42 posts

#74. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 1

bkruppa Registered since 30th May 2013
Fri 14-Mar-14 01:12 PM

I get a "Drop Box" error message any time I try to access this file. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7109 posts

#75. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers" | In response to Reply # 74

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Fri 14-Mar-14 10:28 PM

What error are you getting? All the files download fine for me.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

lemmawa

Castro Valley, US
7 posts

#76. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

lemmawa Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2014
Mon 14-Jul-14 06:53 AM

Hi Chris,
I am upgrading to the new D810. It would be very helpful to get corresponding Configuration & Settings Guide Spreadsheet, similar to what you provided for the D800/D800E. It should of course be unlocked.
Thanks in advance.

Lemma

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#77. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 76

Fri 18-Jul-14 04:36 AM

Lemma - I do not have this camera (you are the lucky one!) and so without it in hand I am reluctant to put one together.

Also you should know that I have recently switched most of my photography to Micro Four Thirds using the Olympus OMD E-M1 (although I still have a D800) and indeed have done similar sheets for the the E-M1.

From all that I have read and heard the D810 is an impressive camera, so I would consider doing a Settings Guide for it ... but I would need a camera to work on!

I will let you know if I am able to go ahead.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

lemmawa

Castro Valley, US
7 posts

#78. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 77

lemmawa Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2014
Fri 18-Jul-14 04:58 AM

Chris - Thanks for responding to my request. I appreciate that you would consider doing it. I'll hold my fingers, and toes, crossed for as long as it takes hoping you will be able to somehow find a camera and do it very soon .

Thanks again, for myself as well as for all the D810 owners that will greatly benefit from your kindness and help.

Lemma

marvboater

Fort Myers, US
103 posts

#79. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

marvboater Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2009
Wed 30-Jul-14 01:04 PM

Chris,
I have had a D800 and just now have upgraded to e new D810 .. it would be very helpful to get corresponding Configuration and Settings Guide Spreadsheet, similar to what you provided for the D800 ..

Marv ..

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#80. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 79

Wed 30-Jul-14 01:41 PM

Marv - you are one lucky Guy! Hope you are enjoying it - I believe I have a D810 to play with in the next couple of weeks, and when I do I will indeed get working on one.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

marvboater

Fort Myers, US
103 posts

#81. "D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 80

Wed 30-Jul-14 06:01 PM

thanks for getting right back to me .. I will be looking forward to your D810 report ..

thanks in advance ..

Marv ..

slip10

Madison, US
109 posts

#82. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 80

slip10 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2006
Thu 31-Jul-14 06:23 PM

>Marv - you are one lucky Guy! Hope you are enjoying it - I
>believe I have a D810 to play with in the next couple of
>weeks, and when I do I will indeed get working on one.
>
>Chris

Thank you! Looking forward to it as well!!

Steve
http://www.slipton.com/

marvboater

Fort Myers, US
103 posts

#83. "D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 82

Thu 31-Jul-14 06:50 PM

thanks for your note ..

we just downloaded and installed Lightroom 5.6 on our Mac .. all works great with our Nikon D810 camera .. this is our first RAW image .. ie we are at Atlantis Marina in Nassau Bahamas ..

Marv ..

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

wapiti

austin, US
137 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#84. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 83

wapiti Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Dec 2002
Sat 30-Aug-14 12:53 PM

Many thanks to you guys who do these Configuration Settings for the various models of Nikon. They are EXTREMELY helpful.

Bill in Austin, TX
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#85. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 84

Sat 30-Aug-14 01:27 PM

You're very welcome, Bill - it's fun doing them too.

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

promy

Carlton, AU
7 posts

#86. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

promy Registered since 03rd Sep 2014
Thu 30-Oct-14 03:42 AM

Does anyone know if an equivalent D810 spreadsheet has been created (or updated from a D800 version)?

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#87. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 86

Thu 30-Oct-14 03:53 AM

I have not been able to do one yet, and unfortunately it is not on the horizon in the immediate future - sorry!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

danielgranthart

buffalo, US
92 posts

#88. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 54

danielgranthart Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2014
Fri 19-Dec-14 02:09 AM

very handy guide and great site. Thank you

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
441 posts

#89. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 87

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Wed 31-Dec-14 01:54 PM | edited Wed 31-Dec-14 01:55 PM by beemerman2k

I say we all chip in and get Chris a D810 so he'll give us an updated spreadsheet

Chris, I am only now looking at this work. You have my admiration, respect, and gratitude. I am new to the Nikon pro bodies; I have always been a DX shooter.

Thank you so much for this!

Way to make the complex, simple and manageable.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#90. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 89

Wed 31-Dec-14 08:03 PM

You are very welcome, James - I am glad you find it helpful!

Although I am pretty much centered around m4/3 these days I still have my trusted D800 - when and if I can get my hands on a D810, I will indeed put one together for it. I suppose I could do it from the manual, but I have avoided doing it that way in the past - hands on, in my view, is the only way to go - apart from which the manuals are not always correct!

Enjoy your Nikons.

Be well and Happy New Year!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Matt1011

Round Hill, US
22 posts

#91. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 90

Matt1011 Registered since 07th Mar 2013
Mon 26-Jan-15 05:03 PM

Chris,

I just joined Nikonians today on the recommendation of the author of Mastering the 800e. I plan to spend 2015 improving my B&W photography and wonder what settings I should use. I don't know how to access your Excel spread sheet or what to do to use the info if I did get to it. I use Lightroom and SEP for post.

Thanks for considering my question and for any help you might offer.

Best,

Matt

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#92. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 91

Mon 26-Jan-15 05:25 PM

Not sure I quite understand your question, Matt. Are you able to download the file? You would of course need Excel or (Numbers if on a Mac) to open either version.

As to how you use the information - it is intended to be an "aide memoire" to help you scroll through all the available settings for your camera and make a note of them using the spreadsheet functionality (which is explained on the Introduction page). It helps you configure your settings and Custom Banks in the way you want to have them.

Let me know if you have any issues/other questions.

Enjoy your Nikonians membership - it is THE best resource you can have for you and your photography!

Cheers,

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Matt1011

Round Hill, US
22 posts

#93. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 92

Mon 26-Jan-15 06:08 PM

Thanks, Chris,

I was finally able to download and open the spreadsheet. I will experiment with the Picture Controls suggestions when shooting Monochrome: Sharpening at 3, Filters off, toning at B&W, and Level at 3. This will be fun.

Thanks again.

Matt

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#94. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 93

Mon 26-Jan-15 08:11 PM

You're welcome - have fun experimenting!!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Matt1011

Round Hill, US
22 posts

#95. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 94

Wed 28-Jan-15 09:18 PM

Chris, I was not able to find Levels in the configuration settings Where should I look? Matt

martymarchy

CA
1 posts

#96. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

martymarchy Registered since 17th Jul 2015
Sat 18-Jul-15 01:27 PM

Just found this spread sheet - WOW - thank you for all the work. Looking forward to working through it ans finally getting some measure of control over the custom settings.

This version (1.2.1) referenced in this article is dated May 8 2012 - just curious if this is the latest version - I can't seem to find any others kicking around, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Again - thank you for this spread sheet - it will be most useful.

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
4024 posts

#97. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 0

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Mon 09-Nov-15 01:19 PM

I saved this file and am very happy using it to maintain a record of my settings. Thank you so much Chris!

Marsha
Lethbridge,Alberta

My Website

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#98. "RE: D800 Configuration Settings - Excel & Numbers *NEW*" | In response to Reply # 97

Mon 09-Nov-15 06:03 PM

Great Marsha - so glad you are finding it helpful.

Enjoy your Nikons!

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

G