Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Thu 19-Sep-13 05:32 PM

OK, guys. It's getting to be decision time. Basketball season is right around the corner, as is my daughter's competitive cheer, and those are the most challenging things I shoot, as far as their demands on my technique and camera. I currently shoot those subjects with a D7000 that I've used for two seasons, and fast prime lenses.

High ISO noise is really not an issue to me. My D7000 is acceptably noise-free at ISO 3200, and usable at ISO 6400. I am pretty sure that the D7100 won't be any less noisy than my D7000. My reasons for wanting to upgrade are the new professional AF system and additional resolution for sharper crops. I'm not all that dissatisfied with the resolution of the D7000, but I really think I'd notice a difference in AF lock-on and tracking with the D7100. Also, the 1.3DX crop/7FPS interests me for outdoor field sports, like baseball (outfielders).

If I upgrade, I'll likely do a trade. I can trade my D7000, a D90 that I never use anymore, and a mint AFD 85 f1.8 (I got the new AFS version last year) for about $900+ total, based on estimates from KEH. That makes this upgrade essentially free (or a couple hundred bucks). BUT, if I don't upgrade, I can still trade in the D90 and 85 f1.8D, and put the money toward a new lens,...maybe a used AFS 300 f4, when the new VR version eventually comes out.

My question: For those of you that upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100:

1. Was it generally worth it? Do you see a marked improvement to your results?
2. Was there a higher resolution learning curve, like a lot of us had moving from the D90 to the D7000?
3. If you shoot action indoors, do you see a noticeable difference in AF performance?
4. Is there ANY difference in High ISO noise/performance.

Thanks for your input.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

factotum

US
342 posts

#1. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 0

factotum Registered since 17th Jun 2007
Thu 19-Sep-13 03:44 PM

Sshort answer--IF someone else is paying for me to upgrade, by all means YES! If I'm paying? NO.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
Miss Piggy

goodguy

CA
45 posts

#2. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 0

goodguy Registered since 01st Sep 2013
Thu 19-Sep-13 06:53 PM

I had the D7000 and I upgraded to the D7100.

Why ?

I had back focusing problem with my D7000, this is a known problem with some D7000.
I sent camera to Nikon spa which helped a lot but still didn't resolve problem completely so I fine tuned all my lenses which helped a bit more but still didn't completely eliminated problem so eventually I decided to upgrade.
The D7100 has completely solved this problem, pics are now as sharp as I was hoping to get.

If I didn't have my back focus problem with my D7000 would I have upgraded ?
Absolutely not, the D7000 is an amazing camera and the D7100 while better is not a world apart and I would have kept the D7000.
ISO performance is about same.
I don't do action shots so I cant answer if the extra 12 points made the D7100 a much better action camera.

billD80

US
2238 posts

#3. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 0

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Thu 19-Sep-13 08:04 PM | edited Thu 19-Sep-13 08:06 PM by billD80

>My question: For those of you that upgraded from the D7000 to
>the D7100:
>
>1. Was it generally worth it? Do you see a marked
>improvement to your results?
>2. Was there a higher resolution learning curve, like a lot
>of us had moving from the D90 to the D7000?
>3. If you shoot action indoors, do you see a noticeable
>difference in AF performance?
>4. Is there ANY difference in High ISO noise/performance.
>

1. I got more keepers shooting my daughter's dance team, and I think the noise is better controlled (but I also think a lot depends on the type of lighting/background staging used). The AF is excellent, and I used the 3D very effectively.

2. I didn't have a learning curve with resolution going from the D200 to the D7000, and the D7100 simply reaffirmed my selection of glass. The resolution is very high, and if you have good glass and technique, 100% viewing will confirm that. The danger is that 100% on a PC monitor of a 24mp image may also move someone to think a perfectly good image isn't up to snuff, when it would be perfectly fine printed 16x24!

3. I think the indoor AF performance is excellent, and more capable than the D7000 maybe because of the increased low-light capability.

4. As above, these are all my PERCEPTIONS because I sold my D7000 to get the D7100, but I think the high ISO performance of the D7100 is better. How much better? That would require a real apples to apples comparison.

I would say that in PP, the D7000 files are capable of pulling up shadows quite a bit, while the D7100 isn't quite as strong in this area, as one can force banding to appear on a 5 stop pull. I don't really ever do this anyway, but the D7000 sensor is special in its own right.

I never use the 1.3 crop mode (as I'd just crop in PP).

The AF of the D7100 is excellent, in that it's very fast and accurate, and that may be enough of a factor before getting into the resolution potential. I don't think you'll find a learning curve comes up, except for readjusting to the few slight differences in the two cameras.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

#4. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 20-Sep-13 12:09 AM

Thanks, Bill. My thought is that the AF on the D7100 will be significantly better than the D7000. It's not that the D7000 system is bad - it's better than my D90, that's for sure. Its just that the D7100 has the CAM3500 from the high end bodies, and that has to be better than the D7000 system. Frankly, if I didn't shoot action, I would never even consider this upgrade. I rarely crop anything other than sports, and the AF is fine for everything but low-light action indoors. Take away that need, and the D7000 would be my last DX camera.

I was really ready to jump to FX, and either get a D600 or the new D610, when it comes out. But, I've re-evaluated lately. I think I might stay in DX for a few more years, while my sons finish middle school and high school sports. I have all the DX lenses I need (a normal zoom 16-85VR, an ultra-wide 12-24 f4, and normal fast prime 35 f1.8G). I have a bunch of FX lenses, as well, which will be usable when/if I move up. If I decide to stay DX, I'll probably spend my money the next few years building out my lens collection with some better FX glass. With Nikon's recent lens upgrades, there is going to be some nice, high quality used glass coming on the market at decent prices.

I can do this upgrade for very little out of pocket cash. Now, I just need to decide if it's going to be worth it for the performance gains in AF.

billD80

US
2238 posts

#5. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 20-Sep-13 10:28 AM | edited Fri 20-Sep-13 10:36 AM by billD80

>I can do this upgrade for very little out of pocket cash.
>Now, I just need to decide if it's going to be worth it for
>the performance gains in AF.

One way to maximize the cash aspect is to sell on Ebay, not to a dealer... But there are good aspects to selling to KEH too.

Also, the 300/AF-S performs admirably on the D7100. The 85/1.8 AF-S does too! I also love the new Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS, but had to send two different copies in for firmware update/adjustment for BOTH the D7000 and D7100. It's a BIG DX lens, but is very fast, and very, very sharp.

I have no real interest in FX because I shoot low ISO, have an excellent super wide DX, and love the DX angle of view coming from the 300mm.
Even so, here are two at ISO3200; Auto WB... Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS:

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

#6. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 20-Sep-13 11:05 AM

Nice shots. Your's isn't the first story I've heard of QA issues with Sigma lenses. I will look real hard at the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, as an alternative to the used Nikon 70-200 VRI.

You don't have to sell me on DX for things far away. It's great for that. But, I do miss the FX viewfinder of my film camera days.

I'll probably do the upgrade, since it's virtually no money out of pocket, and the D7100 does appear equal or superior in every way to the D7000. If I'm going to shoot DX for at least a few more years, why not start now with the best body available.

billD80

US
2238 posts

#7. "RE: Upgrade from D7000 to D7100 - is it worth it?" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 20-Sep-13 02:40 PM

>Nice shots. Your's isn't the first story I've heard of QA
>issues with Sigma lenses. I will look real hard at the Sigma
>70-200 f2.8, as an alternative to the used Nikon 70-200 VRI.
>

The new 50-150 is as sharp as anything made by anyone. I don't know about the 70-200, but with Sigma, it's more firmware updates for new bodies than quality of construction issues. I've found their new offerings superb alternatives (sometimes unique) to the OEM lenses.

The 8-16mm; 50/1.4; 85/1.4; 150/2.8 macro, and the new 'A' line are super lenses.

G