Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bela614

Bellingham, US
829 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004
Mon 15-Jul-13 06:17 PM

Hello,
I need some help with my D7100. I am trying to do HDR photography and they say to bracket using EV (exposure value). They say bracket 2EV. But when I check bracketing in my D7100 user manual they say 1/2 or 1/3 value. I don't understand the connection. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bushido7100

US
51 posts

#1. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 0

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013
Mon 15-Jul-13 05:02 PM

Read Page 133 in the manual. All your questions about Auto bracketing will be answered.

Bela614

Bellingham, US
829 posts

#2. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 15-Jul-13 05:32 PM | edited Mon 15-Jul-13 05:37 PM by Bela614

I am still confused. I must be dense. The users manual was the first thing I checked.
Bill

(1817-62)

Sixmileman

US
332 posts

#3. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 0

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013
Mon 15-Jul-13 05:44 PM

If I am reading page 115 correctly, it appears that bracketing can not be used for HDR. See last sentence of introductory paragraph on page 115.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#4. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 3

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 15-Jul-13 06:17 PM | edited Mon 15-Jul-13 06:22 PM by mklass

You need to set 2 things for HDR Bracketing on the D7100:

1. Set the number of shots in the bracket: press and hold the bracket button on the left front of the camera (below the flash button and above the lens release button) and rotate the primary (rear, unless you've changed it) command dial to the desired bracket set: 3, 5 or -2, -3, +2, +3. (3 takes the base shot plus one above and another below the base exposure. 5 takes 2 above and 2 below. The + and - settings should be self explanatory).

2. Set the exposure increment of the bracket: press and hold the bracket button and adjust the secondary (front) command dial to set the difference between the exposures. Choices are 0.3, 0.7, 1, 2 and 3).

3. If you don't already know:

• shoot in aperture priority or manual mode

• if you have set any exposure compensation, it will effect the base image and the starting point of the bracketing adjustments.

• to avoid pressing the shutter release for each bracket shot, set the mode to Cl or Ch, hold the shutter until the camera stops firing, which should happen after the number of selected bracket shots. Even better, use a tripod and cable release.

• If you are attempting to use the in-camera HDR feature, you must be shooting JPG and the camera takes 2 images and combines them. You can set the level of range between low and extra high, or Automatic. You don't have much control over the results.

Hope that helps.

Mick
    http://www.mickklassphoto.com
    or
    Visit my nikonians gallery

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#5. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 15-Jul-13 06:21 PM

When bracketing, you need to pick:
- number of frames
- EV difference between the frames

While holding in the bracket button:
The main/back command dial picks the number of frames.
The sub/front command dial picks the EV difference between the frames.

The Custom Setting B2 controls the available EV steps when using steps less than a whole step.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

rb4good

Jacksonville, US
5706 posts

#6. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 0

rb4good Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006
Mon 15-Jul-13 06:31 PM

Bill you are confusing two different things. Menu item b2 is for your EV composition amount when you need to go plus or minus some EV value to properly expose an image using the top EV button and the command dial(rear dial).
For HDR,I take a picture,check the Histogram for proper exposure,when the Histogram is where I think it needs to be I then cover the lens with my hand to get a blank image so I know where the series starts and then
(1) push and hold in the bracket button
(2) while holding in bracket button,rotate sub-command dial(front dial)to set EV spread-I use 1.0 or 2.0
(3) still holding in bracketing button,rotate command dial(rear dial) to get the number of images you will need for a good HDR image(I use 3 or 5 depending on the scene)
If you use CL or CH and a wired cable release then just press and hold the button until all images are taken and the camera will stop when the series is complete. When done you must reset the dial for number of shots back to zero or you will remain in bracketing mode.

Rick

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#7. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 15-Jul-13 06:31 PM

As far as the D7100 goes, bracketing and the HDR function are two different things. The simple HDR function takes two photos at different exposures and produces a single photo with increased dynamic range. It then writes this single photo to your memory card.

Bracketing allows you to take a number of photos at different exposures. It does not combine these photos in camera. It allows you to do a few different things with the bracketing photos such as choose the correct exposure from the group to get the best one. Or you can use HDR software which combine all the photos together to get a unique look in the end result single photo.

HDR in camera is not that sophisticated whereas HDR photos from software is quite sophisticated and allows you to fine tune the final photo.

So the two pages mentioned in the above posts are actually defining two different processes.

Len

Bela614

Bellingham, US
829 posts

#8. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 16-Jul-13 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your help. I now have the camera set properly. But I am still confused about one thing. In the "Custom Setting Menu" under "B" metering exposure I have two choices, 1/3 step or 1/2 step. What is this for?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

(1817-62)

elec164

US
2597 posts

#9. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 8

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Tue 16-Jul-13 10:55 AM

It allows you to choose the metering steps between one-half stops or one-third stops.

Set it to 1/2 and you'll get shutter speed and aperture choices in 1/2 stops such as shutter speeds of 1/30, 1/45, 1/60....etc
Set it to 1/3 and shutter speed choices would be 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60...etc.

The same applies to aperture.

1/2-stops--- f/2.8, f/3.3, f/4...etc.

1/3-stops--- f/2.8, f/3.2, f3.5, f4...etc.

Pete

Pete

Bela614

Bellingham, US
829 posts

#10. "RE: Bracketing" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 16-Jul-13 12:27 PM

Thank you so much Pete. Very helpful.
Bill