Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Sign up Login
Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF

mayank0712

MX
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013
Wed 05-Jun-13 08:19 PM

Dear Friends
I am new to this forum - have recently got this D7100
In fact its my first DSLR

I was trying to go by the manual - when i got stuck on page 71-74 it says about changing the AF mode by pressing the AF mode button and rotating the back or front command dials.

When I do that - absolutely nothing happens -
The control panel LCD on top would have the same display and does not change anything

Could this be locked and do i need to unlock
or would it be a problem with my camara

I purchased it from Nikon DSLR Zone from India and moved to Mexico so cant go back to the store i purchased it from.

Can some of you help - it has truly frustrated me a lot

Bushido7100

US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 0

Bushido7100 Registered since 03rd Jun 2013
Wed 05-Jun-13 06:42 PM

It's important that the switch is set to AF, not M. Then press the button and adjust the command dials. I just verified this on my 7100.

Hope this helps.

mayank0712

MX
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#2. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 1

mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013
Thu 06-Jun-13 02:05 AM

>It's important that the switch is set to AF, not M. Then
>press the button and adjust the command dials. I just
>verified this on my 7100.
>
>Hope this helps.
>


Dear Bushido
Thanks but I keep the switch on AF side but its the same

Doesnt work

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3577 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#3. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 06-Jun-13 02:28 AM

What shooting mode are you in?
Look through the viewfinder and press and hold the small button in the middle of the AF/MF level switch on the lower left side of lens mount. The rear command wheel should change between AF-S and AF-C as you turn it. The front command wheel if rotated while pressing the button in the center of the AF/MF switch, will change the focus point type.
Does the rear information display show the AF mode when the Info button is pressed? Does anything on the display change when pressing that little center button on the AF/MF mode rotary switch on the front?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

martinjp

US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#4. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 0

martinjp Registered since 01st Mar 2013
Fri 07-Jun-13 01:27 AM

If you have the camera in Auto mode (top left dial) you can not change auto focus mode. You have to be in P, A, S, or M to be able to change auto focus mode.

Also you have to continue holding the AF button while you turn the back command dial unless you change the setting in the menus that allows you to press the button and let go change the setting then press the button again to turn it off.

Jim

mayank0712

MX
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#5. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 3

mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013
Sat 08-Jun-13 02:45 AM

>What shooting mode are you in?
>Look through the viewfinder and press and hold the small
>button in the middle of the AF/MF level switch on the lower
>left side of lens mount. The rear command wheel should change
>between AF-S and AF-C as you turn it. The front command wheel
>if rotated while pressing the button in the center of the
>AF/MF switch, will change the focus point type.
>Does the rear information display show the AF mode when the
>Info button is pressed? Does anything on the display change
>when pressing that little center button on the AF/MF mode
>rotary switch on the front?
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.



Dear Stan
Thanks for your advise but this is what I was doing / I truly appreciate your effort to pull me out
regards
Mayank

mayank0712

MX
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#6. "RE: D7100 - AF mode button and command dials do not alter AF" | In response to Reply # 4

mayank0712 Registered since 05th Jun 2013
Sat 08-Jun-13 02:48 AM

>If you have the camera in Auto mode (top left dial) you can
>not change auto focus mode. You have to be in P, A, S, or M
>to be able to change auto focus mode.
>
>Also you have to continue holding the AF button while you turn
>the back command dial unless you change the setting in the
>menus that allows you to press the button and let go change
>the setting then press the button again to turn it off.
>
>Jim


JIM JIM JIM
this was it!!!!!

Thanks a ton - i was so frustrated at one point in time that I was about to drop the camera (but the thought of its cost prevented me)
I realize its a fine machine - only I need to be more educated on this . Once again Thanks a lot for course correction.
Cheers

G