Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Engaging VR with Af-On?

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1099 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 05-Jun-13 09:00 AM

This morning I was playing around with my D7100 and 16-85mm. I have the AE-L/AF-L button programmed to AF-On only. To my surprise, when I focused my shot by pressing the AF-On button, I heard the distinct sound of the VR engaging. I then attached my 70-300mm and got the same results. I thought that VR only engaged when you pushed the shutter release button (at least that's the way I remember it working on my other bodies). I don't recall Nikon changing this feature on the D7100?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16979 posts

#1. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Wed 05-Jun-13 08:36 AM

Nikon starting changing how this feature operated a while ago. I know the D4, D800/E, and D600 work the same way.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1099 posts

#2. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 05-Jun-13 10:37 AM

Thanks Rick. One other question: seems to me that battery life is conserved if VR engages only when the shutter button was pressed, like the old days. Is this option available?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3577 posts

#3. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 06-Jun-13 03:03 AM

No, there isn't such an option. It was added, I presume because the higher res cameras needed the aid in AF with a stabilized image on the focusing sensor but it also has the advantage of a stablized VF for the user's benefit also. The battery life should not be affected very much, a lot less than say, auto preview. The D7100 and D7000 are quite thrifty in their battery usage, something I am reminded of every time I pick up my D800 which is not.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1099 posts

#4. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 06-Jun-13 06:09 AM

Thank you Stan, appreciate the reply.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Ellis Feibush

Summit, US
286 posts

#5. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 3

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009
Thu 06-Jun-13 03:28 PM

So, to further clarify Stan, you're saying that the VR is automatically activated with the D7100 when the back button is used to focus also, all in one step sort of.

I do note as you and another stated, that when the back button, set to AF-On, is used to achieve focus in cameras such as the D7000, VR is treated as a separate entity by engaging only when the shutter button is pressed...Is my understanding of this correct? I certainly prefer how it works in the D7100 than the way it's set up in the D7000 and other previous cameras. Sort of nice to see the image settle down before you actually press the shutter, I think.

efeibush

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3577 posts

#6. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 5

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 06-Jun-13 08:05 PM

Yes, using AF-On, the D7000 and D7100 treat VR differently and future cameras will surely follow the D800/D4 method where it was introduced. The D600 and D7100 followed. I like it on the D800 and do not mind its possible impact on battery life.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Ellis Feibush

Summit, US
286 posts

#7. "RE: Engaging VR with Af-On?" | In response to Reply # 6

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009
Mon 10-Jun-13 08:22 AM

Thanks for clarifying your response Stan. What a nice feature. The way VR and back button focusing are used on the D7100 is really the way it should be.

efeibush

G