Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?

NNT

CA
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NNT Registered since 08th May 2013
Thu 16-May-13 05:34 PM

Got my D7100 with the kit lens about a month ago. then bought the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G about 3 weeks ago and been using this lens ever since. Until yesterday, all of a sudden the lens is making some weird noise during auto focus (auto focus still work but making a louder noise then usual). I turn the camera off and turn it back on, then the auto focus not working at all. then i tried taking out the battery and reinstall it, removed the lens, remount it again and all didn't work. finally i mount the kit lens back and auto focus works again. then i process to remount my 35mm lens and its back to normal.
Is that something i need to look into or not worry about? anyone got the same happened to them?

billD80

US
2238 posts

#1. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 0

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Thu 16-May-13 05:13 PM

Until yesterday, all of a sudden the lens is
>making some weird noise during auto focus (auto focus still
>work but making a louder noise then usual).

This would lead me to suspect the lens, not the camera.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

NNT

CA
4 posts

#2. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 1

NNT Registered since 08th May 2013
Thu 16-May-13 07:14 PM

I suspect the lens also, but since its working now, is there any point if i send it back to Nikon to check? the lens is only 3 weeks old

billD80

US
2238 posts

#3. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 2

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Thu 16-May-13 07:28 PM

>I suspect the lens also, but since its working now, is there
>any point if i send it back to Nikon to check? the lens is
>only 3 weeks old

It's under warranty. I'd either take it back for an exchange where you bought it, if that's possible, or definitely send it back to Nikon.

Changes in sound (on an AF-S) and total shut-down of focus are things well outside normal operation.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

golfercat

Menifee, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 0

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012
Thu 16-May-13 07:30 PM

Since the kit lens autofocuses without issue, it is probable that the noise comes from the 35mm lens as the G series lenses use electronic control for their autofocus. AF-S lenses do not use the mechanical screw drive for autofocus.

Personally, I would either have the lens exchanged or repaired under warranty. It will never heal itself and Murphys Law says that it will die at the worst possible time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pgalligan

AU
32 posts

#5. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 0

pgalligan Registered since 11th Dec 2012
Fri 17-May-13 03:00 AM

It's possible that you hadn't mounted the lens securely on the body, and the electronic contacts weren't making good contact. I have done this myself on a few occasions resulting in exactly those symptoms.

Omaha

Omaha, US
566 posts

#6. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 5

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012
Fri 17-May-13 01:33 PM

That lens has the "silent wave" focus motor...the operative word being "silent".

If it was making grunchy sounds (like one might get from a screw-drive AF lens), I'd just replace it now.

Or maybe give it one more try on the possibility that you somehow had it mis-mounted.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

cosmicfires

Lynnwood, US
944 posts

#7. "RE: D7100 autofocus not working for a while, do i need to worry?" | In response to Reply # 0

cosmicfires Registered since 22nd Nov 2011
Mon 20-May-13 06:28 PM

I had a lens make weird noises while focusing, cleaning the contacts in the lens and body solved the problem. It was months ago so it doesn't appear the problem went away to return later.

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong." --Yvon Chouinard

http://www.cosmicfires.com

G