Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800

cwhence

Philadelphia, US
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cwhence Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2011
Tue 30-Apr-13 09:26 PM

When I am in the field and running out of space on my memory cards I have deleted some of the beginning photos, using the delete button on the camera, in order to get a bit more space. Yet I no not see any increase in the number of photo left ie in the camera display.
I assumed that this would buy me a few more frames until I can get back and download the images.
I do not want to reformat the cards and lose the days shooting.
Am I doing this deleting process wrong?
BTW I know that I can protect the images and reformat the card but sometimes that would be a large number of images.
Thanks Much

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#1. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Pugzilla Registered since 05th Aug 2008
Tue 30-Apr-13 10:12 PM

Hi,

I think I will have an answer for you, but first I need to know how your primary and secondary slots are set (backup, overflow, or RAW + jpg).

Of course, the easy way out is to carry another card or two .

Walter

Sometimes I think the world is a tuxedo... and I'm a pair of brown shoes.

Gamecocks

Joanna, US
986 posts

#2. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Gamecocks Registered since 22nd Jul 2010
Wed 01-May-13 09:58 AM

Your display gives you an "approximation" of frames available. It would be much easier to have a couple of cards to use in the event you run out of space and later do the delete on your computer. This will allow you to continue shooting, not worry about reformatting or wondering which files to delete.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Puddlepyrate2013

Sebring, US
270 posts

#3. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013
Wed 01-May-13 03:01 PM

I do not understand, you spend $3000.,or more on camera bodies but only have two memory cards? Memory cards are quite inexpensive these days, I just purchased 2 32gb from B+H photo for $19.50 each. Easiest solution to your problem is to buy more SD cards. Hopefully you have more than one battery for you camera's.

Bob

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#4. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 02-May-13 02:02 AM

Hi again,

Even if you go with the "best" (IMO) SDHC card (SanDisk Extreme Pro), 95MB/sec), the 32 Gb card would cost $60.13 and the 16 Gb $37.95 at B&H as of 5 minutes ago. The 32 Gb CF Extreme Pro with a 90 MB/sec speed does cost $129.95, but the Extreme at 60 MB/sec is $49.95. Not cheap until you compare it to the $3k cost of the D800.

If you wish to know what's in my D800, I shoot 14 bit NEF lossless compressed to a 64 Gb Extreme Pro SDHC, with overflow to a 32 Gb Extreme Pro 90 MB/sec CF card. Overkill?...maybe so, maybe no.

Walter

MEMcD

US
31597 posts

#5. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 02-May-13 01:49 PM

Hi Clifford,

Keep in mind that the number of images remaining in the display is a very conservative estimate. The more full the card gets the more accurate it is.

While deleting images in the camera can be done, there is a remote chance that doing so could corrupt the memory card. This of course would not be good.
I meet people all the time complaining that their memory card is full because they didn't get around to downloading the images to their computer.

I don't use SD cards in my D800 and I always have at least 5 CF cards (1 in the camera and 4 in a card case) so I never worry about running out of memory.

Get a Gepe Extreme Card Safe to carry your spare cards. They are waterproof, crush proof and large enough that it will be difficult to lose but small enough to easily fit it your pocket or an outside pocket of any camera bag.

Best Regards,
Marty

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#6. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 02-May-13 07:20 PM

Marty,

Is there any particular reason you don't use SD cards? Or is it just a personal preference.

Walter

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#7. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 02-May-13 07:29 PM

To our O.P.:

Quote from D7100 users manual (p. 69) - this may help somewhat...

" 'Backup' and 'RAW Slot1 - JPEG Slot 2'
The camera shows the number of exposures remaining on the card with the least amount of memory. Shutter release will be disabled when either card is full."

Note that this does not apply to the "Overflow" setting.

Walter

sabbey51

Saddle River, US
649 posts

#8. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 0

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010
Thu 02-May-13 07:39 PM | edited Thu 02-May-13 09:45 PM by sabbey51

There are several possibilities and contributing factors.

If you're using card 2 for backup, then the image you're trying to delete lives on both cards and the delete probably just deleted the coy on card 1. Since you didn't delete it from card 2, it's still occupying space there and the camera probably takes the worst case of how much space is left on either card for its calculation.

Similar effect if you put jpegs on card 1 and raw on card 2.

As mentioned earlier, the camera makes a very conservative estimate based on the max space that each image could take. Since just about every image will take less than that, the size of the image you delete may not be enough to click the counter.

Two more points:

- I wouldn't worry about corruption of a card from deleting an image; that's an urban legend. Cards can and do get corrupted although very rarely. The solution is to use the second slot for backup.

- definitely get more cards!

Scott

MEMcD

US
31597 posts

#9. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 6

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 04-May-13 01:29 AM

Hi Walter,

Even the fastest SD cards have a slower write speed than CF cards.
Since the maximum write speed of the D800 is limited to the slowest card in the camera, my investment in 1000X CF cards would be wasted.
While I rarely fill the buffer, I don't want to be waiting for the buffer to clear when I need to shoot fast and hard.
That is why I only use CF cards in the D800.

Aside from my D3000 and D800 none of my other bodies use SD cards.

Best Regards,
Marty

Pugzilla

Boca Raton, US
220 posts

#10. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 05-May-13 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info., Marty.

Since my photography does not usually entail high speed or long series imaging, I guess the SD cards won't be a problem for me. I wasn't aware there was THAT much of a difference, but reading some articles suggests otherwise.

I was thinking of a poorer MTBF or physical breakage record.

Thanks again.

Walter

MEMcD

US
31597 posts

#11. "RE: Deleting Photos individually on D7100 and D800" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 05-May-13 10:50 PM

Hi Walter,

Your Welcome.

Best Regards,
Marty

G