Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012
Sun 28-Apr-13 02:03 AM

If I always shoot in RAW and process my images in Lightroom 4, do I need to use the long exposure noise reduction on my D7000 or can I can I get the same or better noise reduction results by turning off noise reduction on the camera and doing all my noise reduction in LR4.

I was doing some night shooting with a friend who had a D600 and he said he always leaves his camera noise reduction off because he thinks he gets better results in LR4. It also saves the extra time needed between exposures for noise reductiion in camera.

jec6613

Norwalk, US
1315 posts

#1. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 0

jec6613 Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Sun 28-Apr-13 12:28 AM

The way that the noise reduction in camera works is that, after you take the exposure - say, a thirty second exposure - it then closes the shutter and makes the same length of exposure, but without the shutter open. It then subtracts the white noise of the shutter closed exposure from the original exposure.

LR4 noise reduction is fundamentally different from the in-camera noise reduction.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13733 posts

#2. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31 AM

There is a difference between High ISO noise reduction and Long Exposure noise reduction.

Long Exposure NR is only for exposures longer than 1 second (see page 228 in the manual)

It works by taking a dark frame exposure that is equal in length to your exposure. It then subtracts any noise created during the dark exposure from your image. This form of NR does affect the RAW data.

You should leave Long Exposure NR turned off during normal shooting as it can slow down the camera. Only use it when your exposures exceed 1 second.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

#3. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 28-Apr-13 12:40 AM

If I understand you correctly, if I am doing 30 second exposures during night photography it would benefit me to leave the camera long exposure noise reduction on and still use LR4 for any further noise reduction when I am processing my images?

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#4. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 1

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 28-Apr-13 12:44 AM

Hi John,

You are confusing Long Exposure Noise Reduction with High ISO Noise Reduction.
Long Exposure NR takes a second image with the shutter closed.

High ISO NR kicks in at ISO 2500 and higher.
Since you are shooting Raw, and not using Nikon NX2 software, I don't think it matters. I don't think LR4 reads Hi ISO NR from a Raw file.

Best Regards,
Marty

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16960 posts

#5. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 3

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sun 28-Apr-13 01:34 AM

Yes on both counts.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

jec6613

Norwalk, US
1315 posts

#6. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 4

jec6613 Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Sun 28-Apr-13 01:40 AM

>Hi John,
>
>You are confusing Long Exposure Noise Reduction with High ISO
>Noise Reduction.
>Long Exposure NR takes a second image with the shutter
>closed.
>
>High ISO NR kicks in at ISO 2500 and higher.
>Since you are shooting Raw, and not using Nikon NX2 software,
>I don't think it matters. I don't think LR4 reads Hi ISO NR
>from a Raw file.

I wasn't confusing them, the OP specified the long exposure NR.

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

#7. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 28-Apr-13 02:00 AM

Thanks Rick!!!

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#8. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?" | In response to Reply # 6

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 28-Apr-13 02:05 AM

Hi John,

Sorry.
I misread the original post.
It has been a long day.

Best Regards,
Marty

G