Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

see photo on screen in bright sun

jdlawrence

Williamsburg, US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jdlawrence Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008
Sun 14-Apr-13 02:03 AM

I just spent time on the North Carolina Outer Banks sand dunes. The sun was very bright. I was unable to see the photos and the histograms on the back screen. I just bracketed . As a result had a number of markedly underexposed photos. I thought of a hood of some type. "Auto" over exposed all the photos. Any other ideas. Never had the problem before.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7065 posts

#1. "RE: see photo on screen in bright sun" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 14-Apr-13 07:26 AM

The free option is to crank up the brightness on your LCD.

If that does not help enough, something like the Hoodman Loupe works great (while a little pricey).
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-LPP3

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

dwaycie

Lake Zurich, US
273 posts

#2. "RE: see photo on screen in bright sun" | In response to Reply # 0

dwaycie Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 23rd Nov 2008
Sun 14-Apr-13 12:37 PM

I have a friend who carries an old black t-shirt with him on photo outings for just this reason.

Cheaper than the Hoodman Loupe for sure.

Dave

GTF

Mastic Beach, US
230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: see photo on screen in bright sun" | In response to Reply # 0

GTF Registered since 03rd Dec 2002
Sun 14-Apr-13 06:40 PM

I gave in and bought a Hoodman Loupe.
Highly recommended.

pimadude

Tucson, US
61 posts

#4. "RE: see photo on screen in bright sun" | In response to Reply # 0

pimadude Registered since 28th Nov 2012
Mon 15-Apr-13 03:00 PM

Living in the arid Arizona Southwest (Tucson), I like you have problems seeing the LCD screen on my D7000 when I'm photographing outside during the day. I don't, however, experience many problems with overexposure and don't generally try to reference the histogram screen in the field.

It sounds like you might need to bias your exposures down a bit using the exposure compensation button.

Jim

G