Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any conclusions yet?

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 28-Mar-13 10:59 PM | edited Thu 28-Mar-13 11:16 PM by JerryLoSardo

So which of you new D7100 owners who are also D7000 owners has actually done a street comparison of these two machines? What's the verdict? Is the new substantially better than the old? Is it worth upgrading, or as some on this forum maintain , is it just marketing hype? Which takes better real world images (read: no pics of brick walls or focusing screens)?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

billD80

US
2238 posts

#1. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 0

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Thu 28-Mar-13 10:47 PM

Is it worth upgrading, or as some on this forum maintain
>, is it just marketing hype? Which takes better real world
>images (read: no pics of brick walls or focusing screens)?

Who is maintaining the marketing hype thing?

I owned and loved the D7000. It's a great camera. If someone shoots non-action images and never prints larger than 12x18, it's conceivable that the D7100 wouldn't be a perceptible improvement. Really, my D200 would also pass muster in this regard.

I now own the D7100. It's the best DX camera available.

The resolution (with good lenses, and technique) is stunning, the color rendition is spot-on, the Auto WB is great, the AF is noticeably faster (on every lens I own, OEM and 3rd party).

According to DxOMark, the ISO ability is also greater than the D7000.

I haven't seen any hype on the D7100. It's just a 24mp camera that has better color rendition, faster AF, and better ISO performance than what preceded it.

But, a great photographer will get great images out of a D40. The D7100 isn't magic, but it's the best camera I've owned.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

wlwakefield

Irving, US
198 posts

#2. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 0

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007
Thu 28-Mar-13 11:27 PM

Having moved from a D80, I can also say the 7100 is far better in all categories, and as the testing is showing, this is the hands down non-FF SLR bar none.

http://www.wlwakefield.com

larrycurrlymoe

Middle Sackville, CA
454 posts

#3. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 1

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009
Fri 29-Mar-13 12:57 AM

Posted my first image this evening. Had to get out of the house for a couple of minutes. I'm a wildlife guy, the real test will be this weekend. So far I like what I see.

Turbo

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

BrianNK

US
36 posts

#4. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 0

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013
Fri 29-Mar-13 01:58 PM | edited Fri 29-Mar-13 01:59 PM by BrianNK

I owned the D7000 since it came out... and have had the D7100 since it came out (a whopping 15 days!)

IMHO.. the D7100 is a better camera (shocker!)

Ergonomics: Much Better

It fits better in the hand. The buttons are in better positions. Its a nicer 'package'. Try shooting AF-ON on the D7000 then try the D7100.. you'll never want to go back to the D7000

Auto Focus: Faster & more accurate.

This image was taken in a DARK indoor 'field house' (Its darker then most Jr. High Basketball Gyms who only turn on 1/2 the lights to save money). My D7000 struggled in this venue last year... but the D7100 doesn't have any problem locking-on and staying on target.

Click on image to view larger version

1/1250 | f/2.8 | 4000 iso | 200mm

ISO: Better.

I don't care what other people are saying about noise, I'm with Scott Kelby on this one... My D7000 never looked this 'clean' at ISO 4000 and above.

Buffer: Same as the D7000.

I shoot RAW 14bit and get 6-7 images before things slow down. That's about what i got on the D7000 and it was moving less data.

Image Quality: Better.

There are tons of sample images around. Take a look at all the BIF shooters 'flocking' to the D7100.

For me... it was worth the upgrade from D7000 to D7100.

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1095 posts

#5. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 4

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 29-Mar-13 02:10 PM

Thank you Brian, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

BrianNK

US
36 posts

#6. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 5

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013
Fri 29-Mar-13 02:52 PM

>Thank you Brian, that's the kind of feedback I was looking
>for.
>
>Jerry LoSardo
>Frederick, Maryland

I should have also said i REALLY LOVED my D7000 and if the D7100 didn't exist i would still love it

What i didn't like was how fast the D7000 depreciated in value over 2 years (1/2 its original cost!).. Luckily i found a suck-err-i-mean-lucky buyer and sold my D7000 for a good price.

If you don't need some of the 'enhancements' of the D7100 a good chunk of D7100 owners have no need to upgrade.

wlwakefield

Irving, US
198 posts

#7. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 4

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007
Fri 29-Mar-13 04:02 PM

That photo makes me ask WHAT noise at ISO 4000! I can't wait to see how my Easter shots go with that kind of performance!

http://www.wlwakefield.com

Toby01

El Sobrante, US
278 posts

#8. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 0

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012
Fri 29-Mar-13 04:40 PM

The thing I have noticed is how 'forgiving' the D7100 RAW files seem to be. I have been able to pull underexposed shots (my fault) up by 1 to 2 stops without perceptible problems. Granted, I shot them at ISO 100, but I was pleasantly surprised that they came out so well. I am also doing less post-processing than I did with the RAW files out of my D90, since the D7100 does such a good job on all of the basics of focus, color, and exposure. So far, it's looking like the D7100 is a home run. In a preliminary comparison to a friend's D600 in low light, high ISO shots, I think the D600 may be as much as 2 stops better in noise performance. Don't take that as gospel, however, because this was a cursory look. We will be making a more controlled comparison next week or the one after and I will post our findings then. Even if the difference is as much as 2 stops, I will still be happy with the D7100 because I am pretty sure a little NR will let me use ISO3200 whenever I need to.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pimadude

Tucson, US
61 posts

#9. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 1

pimadude Registered since 28th Nov 2012
Sat 30-Mar-13 02:16 PM

The DxOMark test scores comparison between the Nikon D7000 and Nikon D7100 also indicated little difference in IQ between the two cameras:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D7100-review-Update-to-popular-DSLR-drops-anti-alias-filter-for-sharper-images/Comparisons

The Nikon D7100 is a feature rich camera and a nice upgrade from the Nikon D7000. Many of the new features of the camera will find a ready acceptance from DX camera users. Especially the 1.3X crop mode feature, 51 focus points, ability to monitor sound recording and stereo sound, are all very decent upgrades from the Nikon D7000.

However, I think most photographers would have a difficult time discerning an image quality difference in prints from the two cameras viewed side-by-side.

Jim

jamtins

Meadow Heights, AU
87 posts

#10. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 0

jamtins Registered since 03rd May 2011
Sat 30-Mar-13 08:35 PM

Yep, I have conclusions.

The D7100 I have is far better than the D7000 it is replacing. I've had a D7000 from the release date, and always had issues with the focus. Sometimes it would be good, sometimes not.
However the limited, two days in the field, with the D7100 had immediately lowered my apprehension. For birds in flight, it locks on and stays locked. (just like my D2x) For birds on sticks, it locks on the bird, not the background, that other stick over there, the leaves on front - just the bird. And the 15 centre points means I can set the focus area over the birds eye for the composition I want. (using AF-S single point).

The camera handles well, the lock on the Mode dial is excellent, I use U1 and U2 to switch between af-s and af-c (also have a few other tweaks in there for sticks or bif), the lock does prevent it moving accidentally.

No oil, dust, off centre focus problems. All in all, it is certainly the best DX camera I've had int the stable, the D2x might get retired.

.. I set out to discover the inventions of God. -John Muir

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#11. "RE: Any conclusions yet?" | In response to Reply # 10

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 31-Mar-13 03:51 PM

I agree with everything you have said including the U1/U2 settings and mine are set in a very similar way. I've had the D7000 and in my opinion the D7100 is way ahead of the game. I just can't stop clicking and have fired over 500 shots in under a week, time stopping me reaching a thousand!

When compared to the D7000 the high ISO noise is reduced, the removal of the AA filter makes me wish I'd bought the D800E instead of the D800. The new rear screen definition is better and so is the viewfinder. Wish there was a dedicated AF-ON button, but apart from that the best money I've spent with Nikon since my D800

Two shots taken over the last few days.

Richard

Nikon D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/800@f4.5 EV -0.3 ISO500 Single point focus.

Nikon D7100 + 300mm f4 - 1/1250@f4.5 EV ISO100 3D tracking 21 point.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

G