Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO

VR8

Ottawa, CA
786 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Sun 24-Mar-13 08:05 PM | edited Sun 24-Mar-13 08:05 PM by VR8

I am wondering if others are having my experience with Auto-ISO and Flash.

I was prepared to find out that using Auto ISO with Flash would not work. I read that this was an issue with other Nikon cameras. But my experiments using fill flash do not show this to be the case. There were other issues.

Just for background and to be clear I like to use FP fill flash in my nature photography. I also like to keep my shutter speed up. Previously I used easy ISO, which was a great help. However, the new auto-iso function on the D7100 seemed too good not to try.

The auto setting lets you set a speed coincident with the length of the lens, I found this was either too slow for me or too fast 1/320, 1/640, or 1/1650 with a 70-220 VRII. At 1.5 DX I would prefer 1/800. At 1.3 I might go to 1/1250 (e.g. roughly double the reciprocal of the lens as I get used to the new 24megapixl sensor).

My results at 1/800 have been fine, with only one frame having an unusual jump in ISO (but I was shooting a Plileated Woodpecker jumping around)!

Just wondering what others are finding with similar set ups. very open to better solutions etc.

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

VR8

Ottawa, CA
786 posts

#1. "RE: D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO" | In response to Reply # 0

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008
Mon 25-Mar-13 02:57 PM

Sorry to come back a day later and contradict myself. I tried another experiment to duplicate an example I found on the web. Using the built in flash the ISO remained at 100 Iso and with the speedlight in the shoe the ISO jumped to 400 ISO, so I guess this has not been solved.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jerryray

NYC, US
329 posts

#2. "RE: D7100 Flash and Auto-ISO" | In response to Reply # 1

jerryray Gold Member Charter Member
Sun 31-Mar-13 02:07 PM

I also find the same scenario, it should be a user setting, They sure have enough settings, perhaps we missed it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G