Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7100 screen protector advice

nsolo2

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nsolo2 Registered since 03rd Feb 2013
Mon 18-Mar-13 05:35 PM

Could someone suggest a quality screen protector for the D7100? I was surprised that one was not provided by Nikon. The design of the new D7100 differs from the D7000 in that I don't believe that a clip on protector could be utilized. I may be wrong.

billD80

US
2241 posts

#1. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 0

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Mon 18-Mar-13 05:21 PM

>Could someone suggest a quality screen protector for the
>D7100? I was surprised that one was not provided by Nikon. The
>design of the new D7100 differs from the D7000 in that I don't
>believe that a clip on protector could be utilized. I may be
>wrong.

I ordered a GGS stick-on glass screen overlay sized for a D600, which was told is the same size... I used the same type for my D7000 and was totally won over. It was miles better than the plastic snap-on thing.

However, since receiving the D7100, I may forgo the screen protector. Why? Because I suspect the only reason Nikon didn't include a protector is because the glass built-in is adequate for the job (Gorilla Glass). I have to believe they'd go this way, or they'd have supplied something.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

nsolo2

US
11 posts

#2. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 18-Mar-13 05:40 PM

If its true that Gorilla Glass is used for the D7100 screen, that would be great. Does anyone know if that is true?

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#3. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 1

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Mon 18-Mar-13 05:43 PM

>However, since receiving the D7100, I may forgo the screen
>protector. Why? Because I suspect the only reason Nikon
>didn't include a protector is because the glass built-in is
>adequate for the job (Gorilla Glass). I have to believe
>they'd go this way, or they'd have supplied something.

That was my reasoning for not getting a cover when I got my D3. After bouncing it around countless playing fields, so far it is unmarred. I suppose the jury is still out, though... it has been only five years.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Squirri

Nottingham, UK
65 posts

#4. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 3

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012
Sat 23-Mar-13 02:00 PM

I bought the Neewer GGS ones for my D7000. Very pleased with them(you get back and top panel protectors). The Nikon plastic one was scratched beyond belief in a very short time. Not sure if they do one for the 7100 but if they do they are worth a look(mine cost GBP6 from Amazon)

res ipsa loquitur

anymouse73

Philadelphia, US
84 posts

#5. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 0

anymouse73 Registered since 16th Jan 2013
Sat 23-Mar-13 11:55 PM

I bought Hoodman "Super Hoodskins" (Model: SHSK XL) at my local Calumet for $12.99. There are 2 of them in the pack. The height is perfect for the D7100 and when you trim the width to size, the leftover end is the correct width for the top screen with a little left over.

The Hoodskins are perfectly optically clear and glossy. There is no glue - they just stick. (Be sure the screen is clean and free of lint or you will see it when it is applied. Bottom line: It worked great for me - at least for the time being, there is protection on the screen.

BTW - I even used the ZAGG protective cover for my Gorilla Glass smart phone and tablets. G-Glass is great stuff, but it CAN be scratched.

I am waiting to check out another style of Hoodman protector made of anti-glare glass. They have them for other models of camera, but not for the D7100 yet.

Hope this helps...

Bob

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4578 posts

#6. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 25-Mar-13 05:28 PM | edited Mon 25-Mar-13 05:29 PM by richardd300

I received my D7100 today and overall I am really pleased. When i read the spec before ordering I must have missed somewhere the omitting of a screen protector. I am a bit disappointed, as I feel, gorilla glass or not, Nikon should in my view have provided one!

I definitely want to protect the screen, so does the GGS adhesive protector fit the D7100 please. If so I shall order one. I don't know if the silicon D7000 camera covers fits the D7100 but as a wildlife photographer my kit is likely to suffer some slight scratching.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

billD80

US
2241 posts

#7. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 25-Mar-13 05:54 PM

>I definitely want to protect the screen, so does the GGS
>adhesive protector fit the D7100 please. If so I shall order
>one. I don't know if the silicon D7000 camera covers fits the
>D7100 but as a wildlife photographer my kit is likely to
>suffer some slight scratching.
>
>Richard.

I'm sending the GGS D600 protector (that would have fit my D7100) to someone else, because I've decided to go with what the D7100 has, as is...

2 reasons: I have confidence that Nikon has confidence, or they're crazy. Second, the D7100 screen is flush with the surrounding body casing. Yes, there will be a GGS (which is a great option that I installed on my D7000), but installing it means it will run above the main surface of the back body panel.

I'm not afraid to use my camera... Whatever Nikon has installed, I think they must be very confident that it will hold up to impact -- AS WELL AS A PLASTIC/EXTERIOR INSTALLED PROTECTED LCD WOULD... If they aren't, they have no business shipping the body without a protector...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4578 posts

#8. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 25-Mar-13 06:01 PM

Maybe Bill, but I take care, as does everyone, to keep my cameras in as pristine condition as possible. I am not thinking so much of major impact as no screen protector will prevent that, but superficial scratches. Anyway, I'm still hoping someone can confirm that the D600 will fit please.

Richard.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

BrianNK

US
36 posts

#9. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 8

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013
Fri 29-Mar-13 01:02 PM

I dusted off my vinyl cutter and made my own D7100 screen protector using an old unused iPad screen protector i had laying around.. It turned out better then i expected.

I'll post a picture when i get home.

If there is enough demand i could probably cut out a few more for just my cost (maybe ~$5 for 2 shipped?)

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4578 posts

#10. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 9

Fri 29-Mar-13 01:49 PM

Thanks.

<<If there is enough demand i could probably cut out a few more for just my cost (maybe ~$5 for 2 shipped?)>>

I love entrepreneurs

Richard

anymouse73

Philadelphia, US
84 posts

#11. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 5

anymouse73 Registered since 16th Jan 2013
Sat 30-Mar-13 08:56 AM

CORRECTION:

The glass protector is not Hoodman but Giotto.
Sorry for the mixup.

Bob

vitalishe

Los Alamos, US
445 posts

#12. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 0

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012
Sat 30-Mar-13 03:44 PM

It is my understanding that D7100 was not intended to have a clip-on screen protector, as there are no grooves to clip it on. Judging from my experience with D90 and the clip-on screen there I can say it did not do very good job. The clip-on protector leaves a small gap to the screen which lets small dust particles in. When the screen move very slightly these particles are being pressed to the screen and create small scratch marks.

So, I would agree with Nikon design change and use an adhesive protective screen similar to the ones used on the phones.
Some people like screen protectors on the smart-phones, some don't.
Your preference for the phone will probably be the same as for the camera.

nsolo2

US
11 posts

#13. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 17-Apr-13 03:01 PM

As a response to my own question, I have learned that the Zagg line of products now carries a protector for the D7100.

Zagg has a good reputation for quality products, so I ordered one today. I will offer a consumer opinion when it arrives and after I have it installed.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

nsolo2

US
11 posts

#14. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 13

Mon 29-Apr-13 10:24 PM

The Zagg protector arrived last week. There were two pieces, one for the read LCD screen, and a smaller one for the LCD panel on the top right of the camera.

They both had a perfect fit. The instructions told me to wash my hands, then spray them with the solution that was provided in the package.

Then, after removing the screen protector from the package, I had to spray the sticky side of the protector. Wetting the protector as instructed allowed me to easily slide it into place. I worked out a couple of air bubbles but a few small ones remained.

The instructions said not to worry, as within a day or two, they would disappear. They did.

So far, I'm happy with the product and would recommend it to other users.

If you Google "Zagg", you'll find the company's website where you can then enter your needs to be directed to the products they offer for your particular equipment.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain - Freemason

mklass

Tacoma, US
7438 posts

#15. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 14

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 29-Apr-13 11:50 PM

I ordered a Giottos protector from Berger Brothers when I recently got my D7100. It is a good fit, but does cover a bit of one edge of the screen. Since it is the left side with the icons in the menu, I'm not too worried about it. In a few months there micht be a better fit from GGS or Giottos. (My original D800 Giottos cover also was not a good fit, but6 months later there was a good replacement GGS available on Amazon.)

The D3, D3s and D4 all have tempered glass screens. Pretty close to indestructible adn certainly very difficult to scratch. I have never but a cover on my D3s, which is 3 years old and looks as good as new. But, I would not make the assumption that any other Nikon body uses tempered glass.

I do not like the film covers because of: bubbles, optical clarity and durability.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3577 posts

#16. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 30-Apr-13 04:22 AM

After seeing an impressive demonstration of hardened Gorilla Glass II I stopped using the clip on protector on my D800. I had been told that newer models used that Corning product by a rep. It is easier to keep clean and the display looks better.
My Galaxy S3 phone I am writing this on using the same material had taken severe abuse and remains perfect.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80

US
2241 posts

#17. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 30-Apr-13 10:20 AM

But, I would not make the
>assumption that any other Nikon body uses tempered glass.

I don't know about other bodies, but with the glass flush to the surface, and no protector provided, I think Nikon is absolutely inviting owners to assume that "Gorilla Glass" is installed on the D7100.

Personally, I think it's another of the great finishing touches on the camera.

I loved my GGS glass overlay for the D7000, which looked like an OEM product (and allowed a view far better than the snap on protector). But I'm leaving my D7100 au naturel. I believe it was designed for that approach.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#18. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 16

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 05-May-13 04:20 AM

Nikon calls it "Scratch- and shock-resistant, reinforced glass is employed for the monitor surface.

*Equivalent to that utilized in the D4, D800 series and D600."

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/features01.htm

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

gfinlayson

Maidenhead, UK
244 posts

#19. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 16

gfinlayson Registered since 24th Jan 2011
Sun 05-May-13 08:09 PM | edited Sun 05-May-13 08:11 PM by gfinlayson

My Galaxy S3 screen still looks like new too, even though it's over a year old, been bashed, dropped and shared a pocket on numerous occasions with coins and keys. For the first time with a Nikon, my D7100 is going 'au naturel' - my thinking is that if Nikon didn't include a screen protector, then one isn't needed.

Omaha

Omaha, US
566 posts

#20. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 19

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012
Mon 06-May-13 11:34 AM

Back when I bought my D70 however many years ago that was, I decided then and there that I hated those protectors. My eyesight is bad enough without some cheezy piece of plastic getting in the way. Never used one. Never had a problem.

Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4578 posts

#21. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 07-May-13 03:47 AM

Paranoid or not, gorilla glass the rear screen maybe, but I bought the GGS D600 protector which fitted perfectly

Richard

mklass

Tacoma, US
7438 posts

#22. "RE: D7100 screen protector advice" | In response to Reply # 20

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 07-May-13 09:56 AM

>Back when I bought my D70 however many years ago that was, I
>decided then and there that I hated those protectors. My
>eyesight is bad enough without some cheezy piece of plastic
>getting in the way. Never used one. Never had a problem.

Yes, the Nikon supplied plastic protectors are not useful for long as they scratch so easily. But we are talking about 3rd party glass protectors.

As for me, I be not had any issues with the unprotected screen on my D3s in over 3 years. If I'd known that the D7100 used a similar material, I would not have ordered a Giottos protector when I ordered the camera. Learned something new.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

G