Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
micro

walkertown, US
506 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
micro Registered since 30th Mar 2008
Sun 03-Mar-13 10:31 PM

is there any reason why I cant just flick the live view switch to lift the mirror on long exposures and still use my slowest shutter speed or my remote release for even longer exposures?from what I have read the mup feature dont work very well due to it not lifting the mirror soon enough before exposure starts.my d-80 dont have these features,only delayed exposure,which appears to be about the same as the mup feature on my d-7000.am I understanding these features correctly or am I way off? Thanks,Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander

Nevis, US
3937 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: long exposure" | In response to Reply # 0

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006
Sun 03-Mar-13 10:00 PM

Mup works just fine. For cameras that have this feature, the first press of the shutter lifts the mirror, the second fires the shutters so there's plenty of time after the mirror goes up because you're controlling it.

Delayed exposure is OK as long as it delays it long enough (not sure how long that is on the D80).

The mirror does lift when you use live view, of course, but it goes back down and then back up again to take the exposure. However, on long exposures mirror-up isn't that necessary as vibrations settle down before much of the exposure has taken place.

Alan

G