Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 Movie and Viewfinder

kmorselander

Atlanta, GA, US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmorselander Registered since 04th Dec 2012
Mon 04-Feb-13 05:36 PM

First day of field trials of D7000 on Saturday. What a great camera. My question is...is there a way to retain the eyepiece view when you go to "live" camera or video? I am used to shooting video with eyepiece?!?! Thanks.

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#1. "RE: D7000 Movie and Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Mon 04-Feb-13 04:40 PM

No, because the mirror, having been raised, no longer reflects the scene into the viewfinder.

The solution is to use one of the several third-party products that attach to the LCD screen on the rear of the camera and provide a viewfinder function. For example:

http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kmorselander

Atlanta, GA, US
9 posts

#2. "RE: D7000 Movie and Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 1

kmorselander Registered since 04th Dec 2012
Mon 04-Feb-13 11:14 PM

Thanks, I thought that must be true but I was hoping for a way to trick it...but it obviously blocks the sensor?!??! Anyway thanks for the link.
Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: D7000 Movie and Viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 05-Feb-13 08:01 AM

A DSLR is the wrong type of camera to choose if you want to use the viewfinder in Live View or Video mode - the mirror has to flip up in order for light to reach the sensor, and that completely disables the viewfinder.

A "compact system camera" like one of the Panasonic or Sony NEX ranges gets around this by having an electronic viewfinder which can be used at all times.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

G