Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How I fixed my broken 3-party battery grip tab

four eighty sparky

US
1653 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
four eighty sparky Registered since 08th Apr 2011
Wed 23-Jan-13 11:53 PM

Well over a year ago, I ordered a cheap 3rd-party copy of the Nikon MB-D11 grip for the D7000. It served me well....... until last fall when I finally pulled off the latching tab. I made a fix by using two small patches of velcro, but I knew that would be a temporary solution.

So last night, I had an epiphany. I have the AA tray that came with the grip...... and I've never used it. So I wondered..... would the broken parts from the EN-EL15 tray be interchangeable with the AA tray?

Out to the van I went, and got my jewelers screwdrivers. Three tiny screws on both, pull the parts off the AA tray, and reassemble on the EN-EL15 tray.

Waa la!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/480sparky/Photography/ClipFix.jpg

I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#1. "RE: How I fixed my broken 3-party battery grip tab" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 30-Jan-13 06:00 PM

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear you figured out a way to fix it.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US
146 posts

#2. "RE: How I fixed my broken 3-party battery grip tab" | In response to Reply # 0

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011
Thu 31-Jan-13 06:01 PM

I'd never have thought of that in a million years, and I may just try it this evening.

But one thing I have discovered is the lok isn't difficult to turn just using a fingernail or pen tip on the metal hinge pin. Considering the D7k is pretty miserly with batteries, having one in camera and one in grip lasts long enough I don't really mind -- functionally -- that the lock tab broke within a week or so of new.

On the other hand, cosmetics are worth something, and duct tape is something should be reserved to announce how I've been using a device.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

G