Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live view, shutter at times won't go below 60? Is it pilot error?

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Mon 05-Sep-11 06:33 AM

I'm confused,

Nothing new there :-0 but, using manual lenses and AF ones, sometimes the rear wheel won't roll any further south than 60 in live view, I need 50.

Is it possible I've hit a button inadvertently or (and I should know this) does one need to set a preference in settings before live view is activated, or, simply frame as a photo first, then switch to live view?

It is intermittent, which leads me to the pilot error reality.

Sorry to be redundant,I'm sure some of 'yall will remind me of what I've forgotten.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

egmonster

Egmont, CA
19 posts

#1. "RE: Live view, shutter at times won't go below 60? Is it pilot error?" | In response to Reply # 0

egmonster Registered since 10th Mar 2011
Mon 05-Sep-11 09:26 AM

I have been monkeying with mine to get it to try and replicate your 1/60th min shutter speed. I can't. Now, forgive my insolence but, are you using the flash perchance? Or some sort of autoprogram that is selecting the flash?

You don't need to do anything tricky to use live view. It just works the same as the viewfinder for me.

What modes have you been in?

I am by no means an expert. I just got this thing not too long ago.

Pocobear

Mechanicsville, US
86 posts

#2. "RE: Live view, shutter at times won't go below 60? Is it pilot error?" | In response to Reply # 0

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011
Mon 05-Sep-11 12:10 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you have the Auto ISO turned on with a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 of a second. When set this way, it will lower the speed below 1/60 sec, if the light level goes too low and the ISO has reached it's maximum setting and it needs a slower shutter speed to get the exposure correct. This could explain the intermittent nature of your problem. You could open up the aperture, or increase the max ISO, or lower the minimum shutter speed to 1/50 or lower to solve your problem. Hopefully!

Good Luck

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#3. "RE: Live view, shutter at times won't go below 60? Is it pilot error?" | In response to Reply # 2

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Tue 06-Sep-11 06:26 AM | edited Tue 06-Sep-11 06:54 AM by Robman3

Thanks David,

Shot today outside the front steps, two on loan from Canada water dropping planes, scooping from the bay to fight a fire over near the 405 freeway.

It did do the 1/60th trick once or twice and I was in the portico, under shade.

I was able to use it with the f8, low ISO just fine with the Fader ND and WB set for what looked like the actual ambient light to naked eye, plus a much longer lens would have helped as well. Did get some footage though, going to test drive my CS5.5 PP chops for zoomed video on the crisp takes.

I checked, auto ISO off, as ever.

The AFL button focuses, but not the shutter release, I'm running back through settings now, may well be time for a reboot.

Thanks!

Rob

G