Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need your advice on using D7K with Nikon ED 500mm f/4 P IF

NY Jim

Cortlandt Manor, US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NY Jim Registered since 11th Feb 2009
Wed 08-Dec-10 04:12 PM

Hi - I'm hoping to find a Nikon expert who understands the D7000 and this older "P-style" lens. I'm considering buying a used Nikon ED 500mm f/4 P IF for my new D7000, and I'm wondering:

1. Will I be able use use the D7000's metering with this lens? For example, will the auto-ISO work? Will aperture priority mode automatically adjust the shutter speed for a correct exposure?

2. I've observed the D7000 is somewhat demanding of the lens optics. The Nikon ED 500mm f/4 P IF has well-known purple fringing artifacts (evidently depends on the situation). Is this lens up to the demands of the D7000?

3. Will I need some optical assist to achieve accurate manual focusing, or is the D7000's viewfinder (or live view) good enough as is? I am past my "bionic man" years...

-- Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
NYC Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G