Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 12-Oct-10 10:57 AM

I exchanged emails with Really Right Stuff about the availability of an L-bracket for the D7000. They indicated that design of an L-bracket won't start until they get a production camera. Once they get the camera, it will be 5-7 weeks before the L-bracket is ready for distribution.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#1. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Tue 12-Oct-10 12:57 PM

The dimensions have not changed much from the D90, I wonder if the D90 L-Bracket will fit (although you would not have access to the side ports by the looks of it.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#2. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 1

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 12-Oct-10 03:34 PM

< I wonder if the D90 L-Bracket will fit>

Good question.

My D300 L Bracket fits the D90 nicely. My D70 and D200 L brackets will not fit my D300 and my D300 bracket will not fit the D70 or D200. Sometimes the changes are VERY small. The problem ares are the access slots on the side and the bottom of the LCD.

The D7000 will require more use of the side access flap since it does not have a 10 pin connector and uses the mini USB on the side instead.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

MichaelErlewine

Big Rapids, US
10 posts

#3. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 2

MichaelErlewine Registered since 15th Apr 2008
Wed 13-Oct-10 01:20 PM

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-Bracket_for_Nikon_D7000.html

I like Kirk L-Brackets. Here is their announcement of a bracket for the D7000.

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38668 posts

#4. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 3

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Thu 14-Oct-10 05:38 AM

And here it is at the Nikonians PhotoProShop

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

enesunkie

Buffalo, US
34 posts

#5. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 3

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008
Thu 14-Oct-10 11:43 PM

>>I like Kirk L-Brackets.

Can I ask why?

Kurt

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#6. "RE: L-bracket for D7000" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 15-Oct-10 08:03 AM

I use RRS L-brackets, but can probably answer. The differences are very small and probably don't matter in many cases.

RRS says it is better to use RRS brackets with the RRS lever release since there is little room for adjustment to accomodate small differences in clamp groove design. With the regular screw release it does not make any real difference. This may just be sales spin since Markins does not have a similar requirement on their new lever release.

Another factor is the Kirk is often a little cheaper by $10.

These are custom designed items. There can be small differences in features and access to the areas on the side of the camera. The Kirk bracket on the D70 allowed a little easier access to the flap on the side. Another example - the D300 L-bracket from RRS had a slot rather than a single screw hole to allow small differences in positioning. The Kirk model (I think) had a single screw hole allowing no variation.

And of course, buying the Kirk models through the Pro Shop helps support Nikonians.

For more thoughts and discussion you might want to post in the tripod and support forum

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

G