Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
docusn

Orange Park, US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
docusn Registered since 03rd Feb 2010
Fri 24-Sep-10 05:25 PM

As you can see from my posts numbers I am a noobie. I have had my D60 for more than a year and believe I have grown out of it (in part - I certainly don't know all there is about this body). Let me explain:

I take a lot of wildlife shots and find that I am severely hampered by the D60's upload-speed-to-the-card limitations, and the minimal focus options.

So, my question to the experts is: D7000 or D300S?

Covey22

US
11762 posts

#1. "RE: D60 Replacement" | In response to Reply # 0

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Fri 24-Sep-10 03:48 PM

Have you considered moving to a faster set of cards? Sometimes the write limitation is bottlenecked by the card speed.

docusn

Orange Park, US
20 posts

#2. "RE: D60 Replacement" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 24-Sep-10 04:21 PM

They are Class 6 SD cards by SanDisk. So maybe the Class 10 might help. Methinks not enough tho'.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4970 posts

#3. "RE: D60 Replacement" | In response to Reply # 2

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sun 26-Sep-10 03:28 PM

I'm inclined to suggest D7000 given some of the topics being discussed here in this forum - namely the image quality should be better and the focus may be near as good (or possibly better).

My own plan is to demote my D300 to second fiddle, with the D7000 taking the lead role in my wildlife shooting. We'll see how it goes but I don't expect to have a definitive answer until I've been shooting the two cameras side by side at least a month (approx end of November).

In my own wildlife shooting I very often find D300 ISO 800 critical in getting high enough shutter speeds. I am hoping D7000 allows me to step this up to 1600 enabling me to get better images at equal ISOs and higher ISOs when I need them. I will confess that I plan on getting a D400 too to replace my D300 but that could be a full year down the road.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#4. "RE: D60 Replacement" | In response to Reply # 3

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Sun 26-Sep-10 04:28 PM

>My own plan is to demote my D300 to second fiddle, with the
>D7000 taking the lead role in my wildlife shooting. We'll see
>how it goes but I don't expect to have a definitive answer
>until I've been shooting the two cameras side by side at least
>a month (approx end of November).

You mean second banana? Bananas take better pictures than fiddles, I hear. That sounds like a sound plan.

I was originally thinking of selling the D1x along with the brand new D90 I bought for the wedding (which is being sold now), and then buying a D7000. But I reconsidered, and decided I'm going to wait it out for a while and see how all you guys like your D7000s. I'll get one eventually, but I can get by with the D1x/H for the forseeable future, no problem. I've decided I'm keeping both of them, because they AF so fast with screw-drive lenses.

Nikon user since 2000

docusn

Orange Park, US
20 posts

#5. "RE: D60 Replacement" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 27-Sep-10 11:47 AM | edited Mon 27-Sep-10 11:48 AM by docusn

Thanks Steve!

G