Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D7000 Questions

bgphotobug

US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bgphotobug Registered since 23rd Feb 2007
Mon 14-Mar-11 08:38 PM

I have two questions regarding my new D7000. Perhaps someone can provide answers:

1. With the camera in AF-C mode and 39-point autofocus (or any of the other autofocus area settings), the individual focus points are not displayed in the viewfinder, as they were with my D300. The User's Manual (p. 9) seems to suggest that they should be visible. All I can see is an outline of the overall autofocus area and the single active focus point. The autofocus point is not locked. Is there a setting that will display all of the focus points?

2. There is a small rubber tab at the base of the grip that covers an access point for the optional MB-D11 battery pack. The tab is constantly popping out. It's annoying. I've been considering placing a drop of silicone cement over the bottom to keep it in place. Any suggestions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13632 posts

#1. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 14-Mar-11 08:11 PM

“...the individual focus points are not displayed in the viewfinder, as they were with my D300.”

The D300 and D300s only display the active focus point the same as the D7000. The only time that more than one focus point is visible is if your set the camera to Auto-Area AF.

“The User's Manual (p. 9) seems to suggest that they should be visible.”

The illustration on page nine is just to show were all of the points are. If you look at the illustrations on pages 38 and 96 they show only one visible focus point.

“Is there a setting that will display all of the focus points?”

No, this is the same as the D300. Only one AF point is visible at a time unless you are in Auto-Area AF the several points can become visible depending on the scene.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 14-Mar-11 08:35 PM

As Dave says, the D7000 AF point display is similar to the D300.

When using Auto-area AF, the D300 does not display the focus points in the viewfinder in AF-C mode, only in AF-S mode.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13632 posts

#3. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 2

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Mon 14-Mar-11 09:03 PM

Thanks Brian. I forgot about that difference.

Pages 94 and 95 in the D7000 manual cover the AF-Area options and how the focus points are displayed.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

bgphotobug

US
28 posts

#4. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 3

bgphotobug Registered since 23rd Feb 2007
Mon 14-Mar-11 09:46 PM

Thanks, guys, I think I now have this figured out.

Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#5. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 4

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 15-Mar-11 01:31 AM

>Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?

What annoying loose tab would that be? There's nothing loose on my D7000 body grip or on the MB-D battery grip.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Rlstout

US
9 posts

#6. "RE: New D7000 Questions" | In response to Reply # 5

Rlstout Registered since 22nd Jan 2011
Tue 15-Mar-11 02:54 AM

>
>>Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?
>
>What annoying loose tab would that be? There's nothing loose
>on my D7000 body grip or on the MB-D battery grip.
>

I also find that little rubber flap occasionally snagging my little finger. I've considered electrical tape, but so far, I just put up with it.

G