Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jgamble

New Smyrna Beach, US
181 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jgamble Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2007
Thu 23-Sep-10 07:39 PM

With the recent introduction of the D3100 and D7000, has Nikon desided to go from three DX levels (D3000,D90,D300) to only two? Seems to me that the 3100 is squarely between (in features and price)the D3000 and D90 and the same with the D7000 between the D90 and D300. Your thoughts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: New Nikon Strategy" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Thu 23-Sep-10 06:16 PM

What about the D5000? Might they not upgrade that (D5100?) to sit between the D3100 and D7000? That's what Thom Hogan thinks, and I suspect he's right.

The price gap between the D3100 and D7000 is just too wide not to slot at least one more body choice between them.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#2. "RE: New Nikon Strategy" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 23-Sep-10 06:25 PM | edited Thu 23-Sep-10 06:27 PM by km6xz

Too early to tell what the realignment will include. A D300 replacement is needed to round out the line since in many ways that effect basic shooting, it is already eclipsed by cheaper models. By releasing a heavier version of the D7000 to satisfy the smaller but more vocal market of current D300 owners would probably require fewer engineering resources since the basic systems are done now in the D7000. All that is needed is a heavier case, a few more switches, CF card slot, 30fps in video mode. All the comments by D300 owners about how unsuitable the D7000 is concern their shooting habits rather than anything that determines image quality.
Considering the foregoing, a 3100 5100 7000 and 400/9000(?) would be a nice stepping stone climb in price and capabilities. From the sample shots at high ISO, the current DX camera to beat is the D3100 right now. The 4 camera line would be the most formidable line up in crop sensors of any company. The line will probably be filled out before summer 2011. The only reason for a D5100, really, is to satisfy the demands for an articulated screen. Performance wise, the D5000 has already been eclipsed by the D3100.
After this product lineup, Nikon can concentrate on getting the D4 and D700 replacement out the door. Who else would be able to claim so many class leaders?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

drbrog

Chicago, US
870 posts

#3. "RE: New Nikon Strategy" | In response to Reply # 2

drbrog Platinum Member Charter Member
Sun 26-Sep-10 05:43 PM

I believe Nikon has created the Dx000 series for consumers and prosumers. I think the D7000 is the replacement for the D300s. The high end prosumer and pro models use FX sensors now. I don't think there will be great demand for a high end DX sensor model.

Just my impression as I'm not a pro.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

pdekman

Swisher, US
1058 posts

#4. "RE: New Nikon Strategy" | In response to Reply # 3

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005
Sun 26-Sep-10 06:58 PM

>I think the D7000 is the replacement for the D300s.
>The high end prosumer and pro models use FX sensors now.

Time will tell, but I think the D300s will be replaced. There is still room for improved AF, buffer size, frame-rate, and connectivity from the D7000. I don't see the marketplace abandoning DX to lesser features so expect Nikon to continue the trend.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

G