Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A Call for Participation

bclaff

Vancouver (WA USA not BC Canad, US
9691 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 26th Oct 2004
Mon 24-Oct-11 01:30 AM | edited Tue 25-Oct-11 12:37 AM by bclaff

My name is Bill Claff and after a 2 1/2 year absence I'm returning to Nikonians.

I have a wide variety of photographic interests.
One is that I'm quite interested in how sensors work and designing procedures that ordinary people can use to test their sensors.
You'll find a wealth of information on sensors and other topics at my web site (the link is in my signature).
Of the tests that I have devised the one of most general interest is the Photographic Dynamic Range (old Nikonians post).

My data is now outdated, but you can help!

Anyone with a PC and a little time can get Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) values for their camera and report them to me.
To do so you need the NefUtil program and documentation from my site.
(start of edit)In the documentation there are instructions in the section entitled "The Photographic Dynamic Range Collaboration Option".
See "Dynamic Range Collaboration" in the section entitled Collaborations near the bottom of my main page for complete instructions. A link to another small program required for the test is in these instructions.(end of edit)

You may wonder: what has this to do with photography?
I have found that understanding the technology and my equipment has helped me be a better photographer.
The technical data is also helpful in making purchasing decisions.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Visit me at Photons To Photos

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 24-Oct-11 06:06 AM

Good to have you back, Bill

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10531 posts

#2. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 24-Oct-11 08:42 AM

Hi Bill - Great to have you back.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#3. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 2

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 24-Oct-11 09:45 AM

Hi.

In a bid to help I have downloaded both "NefUtil" and the instructions. The NefUtil is rejected when I press "run" to install the program into Windows 7 ultimate. As it's an .exe file I disabled the AVG firewall and both the Resident and Online Shields, but it's still rejected.

If you have any ideas then please let me know.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

bclaff

9691 posts

#4. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 3

bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 25th Oct 2004
Mon 24-Oct-11 01:12 PM

Richard,

Sorry for the difficulties.
The "exe" you downloaded is the entire program, not a setup file.
The program is used in a "DOS box", try it there.
Please take a look at the documentation and play a bit first.
If you're going to test your D700 that's great!
I may make a slight adjustment within 24 hours because I think there's a small computational bug with FX cameras; so hold off one day on the PDR.

Bill

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4505 posts

#5. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 4

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Mon 24-Oct-11 01:23 PM

Thanks Bill.

I wait till you've tweeked the software then I will be able, hopefully, to provide data for both D7000 and D700.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

bclaff

9691 posts

#6. "RE: A Call for Participation" | In response to Reply # 5

bclaff Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Registered since 25th Oct 2004
Mon 24-Oct-11 10:41 PM

Richard,

I've updated NefUtil (so download it again) and also revised my initial post.
I had forgotten that there is a more complete set of instructions on my site in a separate document.

If you have problems, please feel free to use Private Message or Email rather than exchanging everything here on the forum.

Cheers!
Bill

G