Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question

RaiZe

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RaiZe Registered since 27th Oct 2010
Wed 27-Oct-10 12:54 PM

First post!

Anyway, I'm getting a D7000 as an Xmas gift to myself and it will be my first DSLR. I want to get a nice strap and I've heard rave reviews about OP/TECHs Pro Loop strap. However, I've also been hearing that the ends are too thick for some cameras. I took a look at some pictures of the D7000 and the connectors look pretty small. I've heard of people having to return their Pro Loop straps and going for the normal Pro straps with the 3/8" ends.

So, does anyone know if the OP/TECH Pro Loop straps will fit the D7000 body? Or should I play it safe and just get the Pro strap with the 3/8" ends?

Thanks

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#1. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 27-Oct-10 12:57 PM | edited Wed 27-Oct-10 06:48 PM by gkaiseril

The OP/TECH Pro strap comes in 2 versions, the loop and 3/8 inch strap, Pro Strap & Pro Strap Loop.

OP/TECH Pro can also use many different connecting straps, System Connectors.

You need to attach either a ring or triangle connector to the eye on the camera and then attach the 3/8" ends of the strap to that connector, How to tie a camera strap.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

wwt67

Warsaw, US
362 posts

#2. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 1

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010
Wed 27-Oct-10 10:04 PM

My D7k came with triangle ring connectors on it and I just bought the OP/TECH strap with 3/8 ends, part no. 1501012, and it works great.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OpticalSerenity

Atlanta, US
91 posts

#3. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 2

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006
Thu 28-Oct-10 08:47 PM

Check out the Black Rapids straps.. I love mine, very out of the way and easy to use.

csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US
647 posts

#4. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 3

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 28-Oct-10 10:51 PM

I have a Black Rapid for my D700 and I will not go anywhere without!
http://www.blackrapid.com/

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#5. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 4

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 29-Oct-10 07:52 AM

After having terrible luck with the plastic squeeze connectors that Op/Tech uses, I will pass. Bumping into anything with my backpack and a tool case I have that uses them springs them open at the worst times.
I have them on a duffel bag I use for flying and have to secure them with nylon tie straps to prevent them from opening during baggage handling after it happened so many times.

For my camera, I only use the Black Rapid RS-5 because the camera is heavy with the longer pro lenses/flash/grip/modifiers which would be a bear to carry all day without it. I can carry it for hours without noticing the weight and have it at my eye in 1/2 a second, faster than any neck strap. It also leaves two hands free giving great stability over rough terrain or in crowded places. Besides I can't afford to replace a damaged or stolen camera/lenses if I used a standard strap.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#6. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 5

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 29-Oct-10 03:28 PM

>After having terrible luck with the plastic squeeze
>connectors that Op/Tech uses, I will pass. Bumping into
>anything with my backpack and a tool case I have that uses
>them springs them open at the worst times.

I've never had this problem with the Op/Tech connectors, or with other similar devices. With tension (from the weight of the equipment) on the strap(s), there seems to be little chance of them coming undone with a knock. Maybe I'm just lucky...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

spootdad

Portage, US
730 posts

#7. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 6

spootdad Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Fri 29-Oct-10 05:56 PM

>I've never had this problem with the Op/Tech connectors, or
>with other similar devices.

Neither have I, in town, in the woods, or elsewhere.

From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#8. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 6

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Fri 29-Oct-10 06:04 PM

I dunno, Brian, I've had the Nikonians version of the Op/Tech strap for years and never came close to having one detach accidentally. If you are just lucky, I seem to be sharing your luck!

That said, these days I normally use Black Rapid straps.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

MEMcD

US
31609 posts

#9. "RE: OP/TECH Pro Loop compatibility question" | In response to Reply # 5

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 29-Oct-10 07:55 PM

Hi Stan,

Like the others, I have never had a problem with the Nikonians Op/Tech strap connectors or those on my Tamrac neck straps or any of my camera bags opening unintentionally.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G