Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D7000 For Studio Work

jman76

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jman76 Registered since 10th Nov 2010
Wed 10-Nov-10 02:28 PM

I was Wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with the new D7000 in a studio situation with strobes and what there thoughts and feelings are. I have been saving for a new camera and have enough put back to purchase the D700 which is an easy choice in doing studio work, but after reading allot of reviews and forums about the new d7000 i was wondering if anyone has played around much with a traditional studio setup, strobe lights mainly. Gut feeling says stick with the d700 but curiosity is peaked about the d7000, I also do allot of landscapes.

Thanks For any help

dankeny

Roland, US
1555 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 For Studio Work" | In response to Reply # 0

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006
Wed 10-Nov-10 10:00 PM | edited Wed 10-Nov-10 10:03 PM by dankeny

7k 851.4g. Medium Softbox front, umbrella back. If you have room, the 7k is pretty easy to like. The VOF limits your options with DX if you are crowded.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/281899/size/big/cat/10612

David

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 For Studio Work" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 11-Nov-10 03:20 PM

While everyone is talking about high ISO, the first images I saw suggested extended DR at low ISO would be its strongest suite. DxO seems to support that. If in the studio, you can use all the range it has at 100, the saturation level over the noise floor is spectacular.
Your lenses will have to be shorter to use DX unless you have a large space however, compared to conventional studio cameras; the D3(x, s) or D700.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jman76

US
2 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 For Studio Work" | In response to Reply # 2

jman76 Registered since 10th Nov 2010
Thu 11-Nov-10 04:20 PM

I'm really not concerned about the high iso because i will be using strobes, i was wondering more about saturation, resolution,overal quality in a studio setup. I started with the d200 and went to the d300 so I have grown use to the dx crop factor.

Ty for your responses so far

deviantspeed

US
7 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 For Studio Work" | In response to Reply # 3

deviantspeed Registered since 31st Oct 2010
Thu 11-Nov-10 06:10 PM

>I'm really not concerned about the high iso because i will be
>using strobes, i was wondering more about saturation,
>resolution,overal quality in a studio setup. I started with
>the d200 and went to the d300 so I have grown use to the dx
>crop factor.
>
>Ty for your responses so far

I've used it with bees and the kit lens. Very impressed with the output but don't know why this would be a concern.

G