Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to transfer photos to the computer?

chilli42

US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chilli42 Registered since 30th Mar 2012
Thu 30-Aug-12 10:02 PM

Simple question - How do you guys transfer you photos from the camera to the computer?

I've always use a USB cable, but have recently switched over to taking out the memory card and putting it straight in the computer (new iMac). It seems to be faster, but does it harm the camera or card or contacts keep taking it out and putting the card back in ???

Thanks.

N4TVC

Burke, US
109 posts

#1. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

N4TVC Registered since 15th Jul 2006
Thu 30-Aug-12 08:23 PM

I've been removing my cards to load photos into my computer for 20 months now with no ill effects.

Charles

RLDubbya

US
553 posts

#2. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011
Thu 30-Aug-12 08:53 PM

I've been transferring via removing the card from camera, popping it into the computer - for, oh, I don't know how long, 3+ years on a regular basis maybe.

In that time, I had one no-name card that I put to heavy use, and managed to eventually split the plastic casing down a weld seam. But that took something like a year of near daily swapping, and, I think I paid a whopping $3.99 for that card.

I've had no problems with name brand cards.

I've never had a problem with the computer or camera contacts.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#3. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Thu 30-Aug-12 10:01 PM

I have always used an external card reader rather than plugging a cable directly into the camera. I could be wrong, but I think the contacts on SD cards are less susceptible to problems than the pin type contacts on CF cards.

Rocky

Patrick604

US
85 posts

#4. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

Patrick604 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2012
Thu 30-Aug-12 10:09 PM

Like the others, I pull the cards out of my cameras to copy the photos to the computer. I reformat the card in the camera after the transfer.

PAStime

Kingston, CA
2824 posts

#5. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009
Fri 31-Aug-12 12:10 AM

>Simple question - How do you guys transfer you photos from
>the camera to the computer?

When a card is full from some outing I slide the write protect tab into the write-protected position and put the card in its small plastic case and into my camera bag. When back at my home office I insert cards one by one into a card reader on my PC and import via Lightroom 4.

>but does it harm
>the camera or card or contacts keep taking it out and putting
>the card back in ???

I doubt very much that will happen. And your camera's USB port is quite robust too. In fact, I would think no use of a contact might lead to a slightly higher probability of poor contact due to oxidation and dirt build-up.

Peter

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#6. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Fri 31-Aug-12 12:53 AM

I use an external card reader.
Faster than the camera via USB.
No drivers needed for the computer to see the camera.
Does not drain the camera battery.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, UK
887 posts

#7. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

ShrimpBoy Registered since 08th Jan 2006
Fri 31-Aug-12 01:00 AM | edited Fri 31-Aug-12 01:01 AM by ShrimpBoy

When I lived in the D70 forum there were a few reports of pins getting bent in the camera's card slot like Rocky said. Personally I never had a problem. With SD cards there are no pins to bend so you can't hurt anything.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

#8. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2012
Fri 31-Aug-12 02:35 AM

I've been removing the CF or SD cards for years (at least 10), & it has never caused a problem.

I really don't like having to take my camera to the PC, where it (&lens, etc.) is put at a lot more risk than removing the card & uploading the photos at a much faster rate. i'd rather lose the card than the camera.

chilli42

US
8 posts

#9. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 31-Aug-12 07:47 AM

The cards are sometimes a little tough (not bad) and do require a firm grip with the fingers and pull to get them out. It this normal? The seem to be a bit smoother the more I use. Just expected them to be a bit easier, but I guess that is the mechanisium so that they dont accidentally fall out?

elec164

US
2598 posts

#10. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 9

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Fri 31-Aug-12 12:22 PM

>The cards are sometimes a little tough (not bad) and do
>require a firm grip with the fingers and pull to get them out.
>It this normal?

I assume you mean taking the cards out of the camera. If so I noticed that taking the card out of slot 2 on my camera is quite a bit stiffer than slot 1. But I have not noticed or experienced any problems.

I also have made it a practice since aquiring my first digital camear to use a card reader rather than connect the cameras to the computer. And in about the 10 years of doing so have not had any issues doing so.

Pete

Pete

Squirri

Nottingham, UK
59 posts

#11. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012
Fri 31-Aug-12 07:20 PM

I either use an external reader or the SD card slot on my iMac. I always copy the files onto the hard drive, do a rough cull with ViewNX, then backup the RAW files onto DVD. Then import into Aperture, copying the originals into the Library. I wait until my daily backup has run(so I have 2 copies of the library, plus DVDs of the original RAW files).

FWIW, I always reformat the card in the camera-not on the computer.

I've never(touch wood) lost anything and only once had to reimport the RAW files when I mistakenly erased a load of photos.

res ipsa loquitur

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#12. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Fri 31-Aug-12 10:34 PM

I used to do wedding photography and was very networked with tons of wedding photographers. We ALL pulled out our cards and put them into a card reader (and if you think about, we usually had multiple cards for a wedding so it wasn't like we didn't have to pull them out anyway).

Also, if memory serves me correctly, you can't just plug your D7000 into your computer and then use Lightroom, Aperture, or something else to import. I think the only thing that will read the card while it is in the camera is the Nikon software.

Mike

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#13. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 9

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Sat 01-Sep-12 12:25 AM

Hi,
That sounds really odd to me!

Are you, perchance, trying to pull out SD cards? If so, you should really be pushing them IN slightly - and they will pop out on a spring latch. For CF cards, there are ejector "buttons".

If you happen to have a D4, the XQD cards are removed like SD cards, by first pushing them IN.

Personally, I've never had any camera which required me to pull out memory cards!

I hope this helps a little,

Pete

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

#14. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 12

Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Sat 01-Sep-12 02:58 AM

Thom Hogan addressed this issue in his D7000 book. He said that transferring images directly from the camera to a PC uses much more battery power than taking a photo does.

He advises using a card reader. When i am in a hurry, I just open the Disk Ikon from the SD card and drag the files over a folder on the desktop. Later, I can use image software to rename files from the standard "DSC######" and do some retouching.

I wondered why I had to recharge the battery so often. Now I know.

chilli42

US
8 posts

#15. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 13

Sat 01-Sep-12 07:51 AM

Yes I know you need to push in first, but they still require a firm pinch to get them out. As the person before also states. I actually went in to a store and tried another demo D7000 and it was the same. A bit easier, but had been used a lot.

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

#16. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 0

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Sat 01-Sep-12 07:39 PM

I posted a similar question back a number of months ago after reading that you were "never" to use a usb cable. The consensus of thoughts were that using the card is the way to go from a speed and convenience perspective. Since then I've been using either a portable card reader of the reader built into my computer. It, using the card reader, has worked flawlessly.

Tom

PAStime

Kingston, CA
2824 posts

#17. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 14

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009
Sat 01-Sep-12 11:22 PM

>Thom Hogan addressed this issue in his D7000 book. He said
>that transferring images directly from the camera to a PC uses
>much more battery power than taking a photo does.

I've heard that too. But I wonder, is the added battery consumption really that significant? I can't imagining it taking more than a few minutes to transfer the data. Does the battery drop a lot in those few minutes? I haven't tried it... just looking for a quantified view of this.

Cheers,
Peter

jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US
146 posts

#18. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 16

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011
Mon 03-Sep-12 08:39 AM

I have recently become a Eye-Fi fan. Withe the Direct Transfer mode, pictures are transferred from camera to my tablet in near real time. JPGs transfer almost as fast to my PC when I get near my home wifi.

RAW, not so much. In direct, RAW is nearly as fast as JPEG, which makes sense since RAW are so much larger files. But wifi transfer from the tablet to the PC is very very very slow, so I wait until I get to may desk and place the SD directly into the PC to import to Lightroom.

I've been using the card swap method for years and several cameras with no problems.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

kw_starling

UK
44 posts

#19. "RE: How to transfer photos to the computer?" | In response to Reply # 18

kw_starling Registered since 13th Feb 2012
Sat 15-Sep-12 01:13 PM

I've always removed the cards from the camera. When I had a PC I used card readers and have been using a Mac since '06. I used to have a D200 and still needed the card reader for CF cards but my new iMac (2011) has a built-in SD card reader and since upgrading to the D7000 that's what I've used.

I use Lexar cards and have never had any issues with card failure.

Fred

G