Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EN-EL15A Clarifications

Verglace

Melbourne, AU
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Verglace Registered since 23rd Aug 2012
Sun 26-Aug-12 12:54 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a grip, with an EN-EL15A.

Now, I've read that there have been problems with the EN-EL15A in that it doesn't fit the genuine grips. However, I've also read that the same problem occurs for third party grips as well (this is from a thread on dp review). Other sources say the moulding of the third party grips are exactly the same as the genuine grip just with different materials. So this leads me to believe that maybe the EN-EL15A that they got was wrongly made, rather than just not fitting the grips, and since some posts say that the EN-EL15A they purchased worked with the genuine grip, its possible that the issue has since been resolved?

Now from various reports on forum posts, reviews, youtube videos etc etc. The fake grips are a bit of a gamble. So I'm thinking of getting the genuine Nikon grip. Now part of the reason I want a grip is because I really want that EN-EL15A, I think its an amazing idea, however its only third party.

Anyone have anything to say in this matter?

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3271 posts

#1. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Sat 25-Aug-12 11:55 PM

From what I've read, the EN-EL15a aftermarket battery only fits some aftermarket battery grips, but it does not fit the genuine Nikon MB-D11 grip. Since it is an aftermarket battery though, perhaps there are variations.

Rocky

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#2. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 26-Aug-12 06:01 AM

As far as I can tell, the En-El15a is a larger battery that was not designed to fit Nikon grips or cameras. It is a spec created by 3rd party grip manufacturers so it can't be expected to interchange in all applications with the smaller En-E15.
The 3rd party En-E15's(without the "A" suffix) however do fit applications that were intended for the En-E15 such as Nikon and 3rd party grips, D7000's, D800's, V1, J1.
Do you really need that much more capacity. I ask that because either the 3rd party En-E15's or Nikon En-E15's last a very long time. A second El-E15 in a grip, and the one in the camera, combined, should last 2500 shots or more. I find that the D7000 is very efficient in its energy usage.

Regarding 3rd party D7000 grips, I have one and have had no problems and in fact think they are a great deal and a great savings. Some have reported the battery compartment latch tab is weak and subject to breakage but I have not seen that happen on mine or anyone who bought one who I know. Mine is manufactured by Meike and was $64 when it first came out.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Verglace

Melbourne, AU
7 posts

#3. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 27-Aug-12 01:46 AM

I don't need the capacity, but where I am the EN-EL15 and an EN-EL15A costs about the same, since the EN-EL15A has more capacity, I thought it would be the better value for money, I don't mind the extra weight and I also like how it does not need to be removed when it is charged.

I guess to be on the safe side I will have to order those packages that come with the third party grip and the EN-EL15A.

Thanks!

pistnbroke

UK
213 posts

#4. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 3

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012
Mon 27-Aug-12 10:27 AM | edited Mon 27-Aug-12 11:44 AM by pistnbroke

you will find the EN-EL 15 A third party batteries are a waste of time ..I know I have two ..as they do not contain the Nikon chip you have the choice to set as NimH or AA alkaline ..both the cut off volatages are too high and you only get about 100 shots from the 15A
This is using the latest firmware . the older firmware had lower cut off volatages and may work better .....buy another EL en 15 for the grip ...Meike will not take the 15A unless you grind off a bit on the side of the battery .

This is useless http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DSTE-EN-EL15A-Battery-For-NIKON-MB-D11-Battery-Grip-NEW-/170673441836?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27bcee0c2c

you will also find that using NIMH in the 6 x AA holder is no good either as Nikon in the latest firmware have set the cut off volatage at 7.5v and as we know NIMH discharge most of the time at 7.2v

Roll on the DE 7200 two please

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

#5. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 4

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2012
Mon 27-Aug-12 11:53 AM

>>"Roll on the DE 7200 two please"<<

????

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pistnbroke

UK
213 posts

#6. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 5

pistnbroke Registered since 01st Jul 2012
Mon 27-Aug-12 12:01 PM

oH what a wonderfully observant person you are D 7200 and I will have 2 to replace my two D7000

Verglace

Melbourne, AU
7 posts

#7. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 28-Aug-12 08:54 AM

Well, that info put a halt to my plans. Thanks for letting me know!
I guess I'm going to just get another genuine battery for now.

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#8. "RE: EN-EL15A Clarifications" | In response to Reply # 5

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Tue 28-Aug-12 02:24 PM

That is 2/3 of a "pun"

If you buy the EN-EL15A you are rolling dice and hope not to carp out with snake eyes.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

G