Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Travels with the D700

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
billco

Granite Bay, US
45 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
billco Registered since 29th Jan 2009
Sun 14-Nov-10 01:22 AM

I am planning a trip to Europe (Italy for 17 days) next year and have been spending some time over on the Leica forum where I am getting plenty of encouragement to dump my heavy old DSLR (and a lot of money) in favor of a M9.

Anyway...can anyone here share their experiences of traveling with an admittedly heave D700 and 24/70 lens. Was it a hassle? Was it totally worth it? Did you find yourself leaving it behind in the hotel at times, etc. ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill C.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Travels with the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 14-Nov-10 01:26 AM

Much depends on your tastes. I have been traveling with a D2h/D2x/D3 for the past five years, and that's been OK with me. I tend to use relatively extreme lenses, especially compared to a rangefinder: these days my travel kit is a 28-105, 180/f2.8 and possibly a 15/f2.8 or 8/f4 fisheye. A lot of that is beyond what one would shoot with a rangefinder. Sometimes I take a 500/f8 too, and I haven't been sorry for that very often. Until I got the 28-105 I sometimes took the 24-70/f2.8 and either a 90/f2.8 Macro or 55/f2.8 Micro. If I don't have time for shooting - which happens sometimes when the trip is really a business trip - I leave a lot of it behind and just take the first two, but if I were going on a trip like what you describe, some interesting period of time would be scheduled for serious photography.

There are other times when I consider getting an M9 too - in fact I'm dangerously close to a much less expensive Voightlander R3a and a couple of fast lenses (35/f1.4, 75/f1.8). But that's an add, not a replace, especially since that would be film.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13624 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#2. "RE: Travels with the D700" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 14-Nov-10 03:44 AM

Please post responses in in this duplicate thread in the D700 forum.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

G