Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011
Mon 05-Nov-12 07:40 PM

I've been with Nikon a long time - long enough to remember when FM meant Fully Manual and didn't have a 2 attached.

Yesterday I was pawing around in a place I've not been for awhile and found:

= Vivitar 28mm/f2.8
= Vivitar 75-205mm/f3.5-4.5 Matched multiplier (which I can tell I bought in about 1968-70 because of a number I engraved on it when I was in the Navy.

And what I wonder is whether I'll hurt my D7000 by trying to use these lenses. I know they're manual everything, and I have a Tamron 17-50 so the 24mm isn't really necessary, other than it's a prime, but the doubler would be cool to try on the 70-300 zoom. I haven't even yet check to see whether they'll mount. Scared something electronic will mess up and then I won't have a camera.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: Found lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Mon 05-Nov-12 09:12 PM | edited Mon 05-Nov-12 09:19 PM by Leonard62

The '67-'68 time frame is before Nikon converted over from the non-AI mount. If non-AI you risk mechanical damage. My guess is you should not use them.

Can you post a photo of the mounts?

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw

Richmond, US
28704 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Found lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 05-Nov-12 10:49 PM

They're not worth the risk. You particularly don't want to use the multiplier on a 70-300 zoom.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

kshapero

South Florida, US
318 posts

#3. "RE: Found lenses" | In response to Reply # 2

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006
Mon 12-Nov-12 03:59 AM

Vivitar's were never that good to begin with. Best to stay away. IMHO.
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31603 posts

#4. "RE: Found lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 12-Nov-12 01:07 PM

Hi John,

As stated above, Do NOT Mount either lens or the TC on your D7000!
Any lens made before 1977 will be Pre-AI and can Not be mounted on your D7000 without being modified to AI spec. While I suspect David White would convert them, it wouldn't be worth it.
Given that the 70-300mm is f/5.6 adding a 2X TC will get you to f/11 which means the viewfinder will be very dark making focusing very difficult even in bright daylight and impossible in poor light.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G