Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Howker

Redmond, US
193 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Howker Registered since 21st Jul 2010
Tue 09-Oct-12 02:20 AM

Is there any change in the data captured when shooting RAW by changing the White Balance.?
I understood it was of no consequence what the WB setting was in RAW because you can change it in PP. Now I read that the EXIF metadata tag may alter with different WB settings. Does it matter?
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13624 posts

#1. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 0

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Tue 09-Oct-12 12:38 AM

>>"Does it matter?"

No, the tags in the EXIF are separate from the RAW image data.

The software that you use to convert the RAW data will use this tag when it renders the image. You can then adjust the WB to any value that you choose.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4156 posts

#2. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 0

DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Tue 09-Oct-12 01:33 AM

Not only does it not change the RAW data by changing the WB, it also does not change the exposure settings when the picture is actually captured.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

Howker

Redmond, US
193 posts

#3. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 1

Howker Registered since 21st Jul 2010
Thu 11-Oct-12 12:18 AM

I ask because I shoot NEF & on D7000/P7100 I only change from Auto WB for flash. I use CNX2 & mainly Aperture so I noticed that the photo I am looking at in the software differs dependent on the WB setting.
I can change the WB setting in Aperture etc but if the NEF file has no WB other than a tag is the software changing it for display?
If RAW has no effect why is it visibly different in software? Is it being changed to jpeg
Tom

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7065 posts

#4. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 3

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Thu 11-Oct-12 05:23 AM

You are confusing the data in the file with what you see on the screen. The NEF data in the file needs to be interpreted by a viewer/editor then painted on the screen. When you change the settings in the editor, you are just changing the interpretation of the raw data.

JPG images, on the other hand, have all the image settings baked into the picture so that there is no interpreting done. What you see is what there is.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

four eighty sparky

US
1653 posts

#5. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 2

four eighty sparky Registered since 08th Apr 2011
Thu 11-Oct-12 10:04 PM

>Not only does it not change the RAW data by changing the WB,
>it also does not change the exposure settings when the picture
>is actually captured.

Huh?

By 'exposure settings', do you mean ISO, shutter speed and aperture?

I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Visit my website.

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13624 posts

#6. "RE: White balance" | In response to Reply # 3

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 12-Oct-12 12:06 AM | edited Fri 12-Oct-12 12:09 AM by dm1dave

“...is the software changing it for display?”
“If RAW has no effect why is it visibly different in software? Is it being changed to jpeg”

Yes, the software (the RAW converter) takes the sensor data and compiles it to render the image you see on screen. The software uses the tags (Nikon software reads all of the tags including all picture control settings, 3rd party software can only read WB) and any presets that you have set up in the software to render the image.

The rendered image that you are working with is more like a TIFF file than a JEPG. The difference though between working a NEF and a TIFF is that each time you make a change the software re-renders the file from the RAW data while applying your changes.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

G