Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900

mjhach

Simcoe, CA
612 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mjhach Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010
Thu 27-Dec-12 08:57 PM

I can't find anywhere in Darryl's book or the owners manual where it talks about whether the D7000 has this feature (I assume it does) and how-to use this feature. Can anyone shed some light??

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3573 posts

#1. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 28-Dec-12 12:44 AM | edited Fri 28-Dec-12 12:49 AM by km6xz

Yes, the filters included with the SB900 are detected by the camera to set WB and flash for level compensation. Works really well. I use it mostly in mixing with strong ambient tungstan light but it is also useful, a little less so, with florescent lights because there are so many different output spectrum from various models of florescent bulbs.
From my experience it works well with all 3 of my cameras: D90, D7000 and D800. You can get an extended set of filters called the SJ-3 for more options in tints useful in the studio for background washes. It is about $20-25 and worth it.
One hint, make sure the gel does not rest directly on the flash screen, which it will not, if properly inserting into the filter cap, otherwise the gels or anything in direct contact with the lens of the flash head will burn.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Chris Platt

Newburg, US
481 posts

#2. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900" | In response to Reply # 0

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:47 PM

Look on page 276 of the D7000 manual. Note 1 under CLS compatible flash units.

Visit my gallery.

mjhach

Simcoe, CA
612 posts

#3. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900" | In response to Reply # 2

mjhach Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010
Sat 29-Dec-12 09:46 PM

THanks to Stan and Chris for their enlightening comments.

Mike

G