Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus trap for D7000

Bride

US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bride Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Sat 19-May-12 05:23 AM

Does anybody know the settings for focus trap on a D7000?

Best
bride

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: Focus trap for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 19-May-12 04:41 AM

Set the camera to focus-priority release, Custom Settings a1 and a2.

Remove the focus control from the shutter button, either by using manual focus or ae-L button focus (Custom Setting f5).

Prefocus on the desired spot, press and hold the shutter release, wait for something to become in focus.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

txstone12

Texas, US
629 posts

#2. "RE: Focus trap for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Fri 14-Dec-12 08:01 PM

No one comes back to an old post unless they're researching a topic.

In case you are, I tried this procedure today and would like to add one step to Joseph's marvelously succinct description.

That additional step is, as explained here

http://forum.mflenses.com/focus-trapping-on-nikon-d7000-t46772.html

"Swerve lens away from object, keep shutter fully pressed and aim lens back at prefocused object - snap"

Of course you have to move to a portion of the scene that's out-of-focus to fully depress the shutter. Then you move back to the prefocused area when the target you're waiting for comes into view. Snap...

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rmastran

Carver, US
61 posts

#3. "RE: Focus trap for D7000" | In response to Reply # 1

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011
Sun 16-Dec-12 02:59 AM | edited Sun 16-Dec-12 02:59 AM by Rmastran

I would add a few steps to this that work well for unattended setups.

Set the camera to continuous shooting (CL).
Use a remote switch (such as this one: http://bhpho.to/URQIQm) to lock the shutter.

When the subject enters the focus area, the camera will start firing, and will stop when the subject leaves the focus area. When the subject re-enters the focus area, the camera will automatically start firing again.

hyphotographer

UK
137 posts

#4. "Auto Firing" | In response to Reply # 3

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012
Tue 12-Feb-13 08:33 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 09:09 PM by hyphotographer

That is very cool... auto firing with remote shutter release...

Yes, we need to change to 'Focus Priority Release', then make sure you choose the focus mode correctly.

For example, if you choose AF-C for focus priority in a1, make sure you use AF-C mode, not AF-S mode if your AF-S mode is set to release regardless of the subject is in focus or not.

Otherwise, your camera could then be taking pictures all the time.

I now understood how to 'lock the shutter':
On the MC-DC2 equivalent of corded remote control, push the button down, then move the slider to keep the push-button in depressed position.

I have just ordered a third party MC-DC2 equivalent for my D7000 from Amazon, it is the cheapest Neewer release, cost £2.44 from the UK site.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#5. "RE: Focus trap for D7000" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 14-Feb-13 08:50 AM | edited Thu 09-May-13 08:22 PM by km6xz

Another aid in successful trap shooting is to stop the aperture down a bit so is the subject is not a flat plane parallel to the focal plane. That increases the field depth so if the desired focus point comes into range after a leading edge at another focal plane is locked onto. For example if it was a person walking parallel to the focal plane and is swinging their arms in a natural gate, their far arm would trigger the shutter before the face or body closer to the camera would in focus. So calculate the Dof needed to assure the whole subject would be in focus if any part was able to trigger the shutter.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

hyphotographer

UK
137 posts

#6. "Must be on AF-C and AE-L/AF-L button assigned as AF-ON" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 16-Feb-13 10:15 AM | edited Sat 16-Feb-13 09:33 PM by hyphotographer

I tried today after receiving my Neewer labelled 'Shoot' MC-DC2 remote switch from Amazon U. K. (£2.44) and like it very much. I pushed it to lock position after the 'pre-focus' and 'swerve lens away' procedures.

In addition, you must assign the AE-L / AF-L button to AF-ON, disabling the shutter release buttons (including remote MC-DC2) to initiate auto focus (AF).

Next, to let your D7000 work 'auto-firing', you must use AF-C, and set it to release on 'Focus' rather than 'Release', on page 208 of the D7000 English Instruction Manual (a1: AF-C Priority Selection).

If you use AF-S, it will fire regardless of your object is in focus or not, because the camera will only consider for once, the object appear in focusing point (tiny square), seen in the viewfinder is in focus or not.

Whereas in AF-C, the camera will continually considering your object appearing in the tiny square (focusing point) is in focus or not. As a result, when your object is not in focus, it will stop firing. D7000 will auto-fire again when object is in focus.

The D7000 manual does not give you this instructions, but fellow Nikonians help each other to figure out this trick.

hyphotographer

UK
137 posts

#7. "RE: Auto Firing" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 09-May-13 05:25 PM | edited Fri 10-May-13 07:33 AM by hyphotographer

My D7000 does NOT stop auto firing once the object (bird) left the scene. Any idea?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4130 posts

#8. "RE: Focus trap for D7000" | In response to Reply # 1

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Thu 09-May-13 06:45 PM

Note that Nikon changed the AF behavior with the D800 and D4 so that trap focusing is not possible. I don't know if this change extends to later cameras such as the D7100 and D600.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#9. "RE: Auto Firing" | In response to Reply # 7

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Thu 09-May-13 08:09 PM | edited Fri 10-May-13 05:26 PM by JosephK

The edited question needs an edited answer, which I don't have...

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

G