Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Crop mode. Why use it?

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Fri 22-Feb-13 04:28 PM

Is there any reason to use the crop mode other than improved capture rate?

I would alway prefer to crop my own images than let the camera do it.

Is there something I'm missing or is it the frames per second that is the big deal?

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#1. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 22-Feb-13 03:37 PM

You already hit the nail on the head. In crop mode, each file is smaller, so the camera can process more files per second, which results in a higher frame rate. This can be important for fast moving subjects like birds and athletes. Another minor plus is that you use less space on your card and computer, and import and processing of the images are faster, too.

That said, unless I absolutely need those benefits, I always crop in post, like you.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

blw

Richmond, US
28703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 22-Feb-13 03:39 PM

About the only time I use crop mode is when I can see that the subject is obviously so small in the frame that having it crop is just as well. That way there's less data retained, thus saving space on the card and later on the HDD's. This doesn't happen very often to me, though - on the other hand I haven't been doing much birding recently either.

The other time I have used a crop mode is the 5:4 mode in some cameras. If I know that the image is destined for an 8x10 or 16x20 (eg 5:4) print, I sometimes use 5:4 crop mode and then compose as if I'm not going to crop. On the other hand, I probably do this about one shoot per year - not a big deal.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

#3. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 2

JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Fri 22-Feb-13 04:19 PM

Thanks. Makes sense.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

NRousu

CA
55 posts

#4. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 1

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012
Fri 22-Feb-13 06:25 PM

This makes me wonder - if they're going to such lengths to add this feature, does this mean that the D7100 still has a tiny buffer like the D7000?

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#5. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Fri 22-Feb-13 06:48 PM

Increased capture rate is one reason. Smaller files also use less buffer space, allowing for longer bursts of shots for those who like that sort of thing.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13740 posts

#6. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 4

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Fri 22-Feb-13 06:58 PM

Yes, the buffer is samll.

When shooting RAW you get between 6 - 9 frames in the buffer depending on the bit depth and compression.

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

NRousu

CA
55 posts

#7. "RE: Crop mode. Why use it?" | In response to Reply # 6

NRousu Registered since 16th May 2012
Fri 22-Feb-13 07:03 PM

That's too bad the buffer is so small. When shooting something like a moving animal, small child, or athlete, those frames get eaten up fast.

G