Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue

wills

UK
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wills Registered since 13th May 2012
Sun 13-May-12 12:36 PM

Hi there all!

I recently bought a D7000, moving from a canon eos 40D.

Pleased with it so far I think. However something is baffling me about the camera. I read up on AF-A, AF-S and AF-C modes and understand the functionality no problem.

The issue I am having is with auto focus and subsequent shutter release, when pressing the shutter release button. Let me explain a little more...

I have my AE-L / AF-L button o the back assigned to AF-ON in custom functions. I find this a more convenient way of focusing the camera. So if I am in AF-A mode with metering set to all 39 points AUTO, I sometimes find after pressing the AF-ON button to focus, and releasing it, that the shutter release button does nothing when pressed. All I see is the top lcd display flashing R08 in the bottom right.

However if I keep the AF-ON button held in and then pres the shutter release, it always takes the shot. I don't understand this behaviour, since it will take the majority of the time when I don't have it held in.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I suspect if I didn't have AF-ON button dedicated I wouldn't be having this issue, but I like the camera set that way.

elec164

US
2575 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 0

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Sun 13-May-12 11:00 AM

Generally I don't use BBF, but I have an idea of what could be happening.

AF-A by default starts out as AF-S. AF-S by default is set to focus priority release mode. If you momentarily press the AF-on button, but don't achieve focus lock then the shutter will not fire. By holding the AF-on button steadily you without realizing it are allowing it to now achieve focus lock which will allow the shutter to fire.

You can check if focus lock is achieved by observing the green dot in the bottom left of the viewfinder display.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wills

UK
3 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 13-May-12 11:07 AM

OK, I'll try to confirm whether that is what is going on.

As as aside, I have also noticed that when in AF-S mode, you can only select either the ful 39 point auto or 1 single point of focus with the sub command dial.

This is the case yes? Not a weird fault with my camera?

elec164

US
2575 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 2

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Sun 13-May-12 05:54 PM

>when in AF-S mode, you can only select either the ful 39 point auto or 1 single point
>
>This is the case yes? Not a weird fault with my camera?

This is the case, no weird fault.

Pete

Pete

ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, UK
887 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 0

ShrimpBoy Registered since 08th Jan 2006
Mon 14-May-12 02:15 AM

I was playing with AF-ON and AF-C mode today and had a similar experience.

Custom settings A1 and A2 let you change the shutter release behavior. If you set them both to Release, the camera will always release the shutter when you press the shutter button regardless of whether you have locked focus or not. A1 is for AF-C mode and A2 is for AF-S mode.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

wills

UK
3 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 14-May-12 11:36 AM

Yes i only experience the issue with the shutter release button in af-a mode. I already have the release priority set for af-s and af-c. Odd really, my canon never did this! Just a quirk though. Still love the d7000.

gfinlayson

Maidenhead, UK
244 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 5

gfinlayson Registered since 24th Jan 2011
Thu 24-May-12 10:42 PM | edited Thu 24-May-12 10:43 PM by gfinlayson

My best advice is to work your way out of using AF-A as soon as possible. It often results in blurry images because the camera takes its best guess at what you want to focus on, which as often as not is the wrong subject!

Use AF-C and AF-S and choose your own focus points

jadiniz

Estoril, PT
350 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D7000 Shutter release and AF issue" | In response to Reply # 6

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010
Fri 25-May-12 06:18 AM

Best settings for this kind of operation on back button AF-ON are AF-Continuos mode, and release priority. That way, according to how you use the button, you can mimick both AF-C and AF-S without having to change anything. Plus, I set my points to 9, pad-selectable, to allow some degree of tracking latitude when using AF-C.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

G