Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
wmcy

Charlotte, US
981 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006
Tue 29-Mar-11 03:18 AM

I have always used compact flash cards but am now seriously considering a D7000. I've read somewhere about a recommended "fast" sd format. Any advice? What do you experienced d7000 users use?

Thanks.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10639 posts

#1. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 29-Mar-11 08:02 AM

I use a pair of 16gb Sandisk Extreme cards. The Class 10 is the current standard. Class 6 will work fine. 8GB would probably be adequate for photography - and will hold around 300 images. The camera will tell you it holds less - but due to compression of RAW images, you will get 300 or so under typical conditions.

If you shoot video or a lot of wildlife, a larger card is more important. I shoot 6 GB or less of landscapes in a day, but for wildlife will go beyond that.

Card speed is most important with downloads. The write speed in your camera is pretty fast, and the card will not typically be a limiting factor.

Be sure you buy from a reputable source. Avoid eBay unless you have a known reliable vendor. There are a lot of counterfeit cards from unreliable sources. Stick with known brands - Sandisk, Lexar, and Transcend. If the price looks too good to be true - it is.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

wmcy

Charlotte, US
981 posts

#2. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 1

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Tue 29-Mar-11 08:26 AM

Gret feedback, Eric. Thank you.

Wm.

chris_platt

Newburg, US
751 posts

#3. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 1

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2009
Tue 29-Mar-11 09:24 AM

I use the same cards.

Visit my gallery.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#4. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 0

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Tue 29-Mar-11 10:26 AM

Sandisk Extreme III was the fastest card on the market, emptying a full buffer in about 9 seconds. Sandisk's new UHS-1 card empties in 7 seconds.

This thread is a good resource: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4469&mesg_id=4469&page=

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Tue 29-Mar-11 11:48 AM

I just got a 32GB Sandisk UH-1 card (45MBs) and really like it.
The transfer to Computer is very fast if you have a good card reader.
The D7000 seems to run smoother than with the (half the price) Patriot.

However, the 32GB Patriot LX class 10 SDHC card seems fast enough for most use.
Class 10 only has to deliver sustained 10MBs read/write speed to meet specs.

Pokol

Sydney, AU
13 posts

#6. "RE: Help Plz" | In response to Reply # 0

Pokol Registered since 08th Mar 2011
Wed 30-Mar-11 09:38 AM

I'm using 2x Lexar Platinum II 32GB cards, class 6.

They work well with both stills and HD video. Each card will hold just over 900 RAW shots or 2200 shots at Fine JPEG. For me I opted for a cheaper speed/class for more storage. I bought them from Adorama a few months back, now you can get the class 10 cards for the same price I paid for the class 6. These Lexars aren't as fast as the Sandisk cards but are considerably cheaper and do a decent job.

G