Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
briafast

New York, US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
briafast Registered since 26th Dec 2010
Mon 24-Dec-12 05:12 AM

I am using the D7000 with a Sigma 18-200

For some reason the autofocus won't lock at all. When I push the trigger button down slightly it the focus moves back and forth never finding the right point.

I switched the lens to my D90 and there is no problem so I assume it is not the lens.

Also the assist light does not come on and it looks like in the menu that it is set for it to come on.

I am about to bring it to a repair shop and thought I would post here first.

BF

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Gray_star

US
52 posts

#1. "RE: no auto focus" | In response to Reply # 0

Gray_star Registered since 17th Dec 2012
Mon 24-Dec-12 04:30 AM

These cameras are complex these days. You should give us a rundown of what you've tried to far.

When the AF-Assist light doesn't come on when you think it should, it's for one of two reasons. Either you have AF-C selected, or the focus point isn't centered. Page 210 of the English D7000 manual lists the conditions needed for AF-Assist to work.

An off-center focus point will cause this problem if there's nothing under the focus point to lock onto. So my suggestion is to check your selected focus point.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: no auto focus" | In response to Reply # 1

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 24-Dec-12 07:37 AM

>When the AF-Assist light doesn't come on when you think it
>should, it's for one of two reasons.

It's more complex than that. For example, AF-Assist is not available in certain scene modes. Check pages 210, 273 and 292-293 in the manual for a full rundown.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#3. "RE: no auto focus" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 24-Dec-12 08:29 AM

In addition to the AF-Assist light settings, if the Sigma is older, it may not be compatible with newer Nikon's. Sigma will know which versions are and yours might need to go back to their service center to have is chip replaced. Sigma can do that quickly and does not charge for it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G