Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons

Steve6344

Aventura, US
517 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Steve6344 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012
Mon 17-Dec-12 03:36 PM

I have assigned virtual horizon to the Fn button. When I press the Fn button I don't see the virtual horizon in the viewfinder. Also tried preview button. Same result. What am I doing wrong? (In Live View if I press the Info button several times I get the virtual horizon)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my website.

Rassie

Milton, CA
4278 posts

#1. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 0

Rassie Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Mon 17-Dec-12 02:44 PM

I'm not sure what you expect to see, so I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

I set my camera up the same way, so when I press the FN button, all the data that typically shows at the bottom inside the viewfinder disappears and is replaced with a short little vertical line (more like a vertical dash) in the middle at the bottom edge of the viewfinder. Tilting the camera to the right or left makes little dots appear to the left or right of the vertical dash. The more the camera is tilted off horizontal, the more dots appear next to the line. If the camera is perfectly horizontal then no dots should show - only the vertical dash.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

#2. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 1

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012
Mon 17-Dec-12 03:30 PM

There are two different virtual horizons on the D7000. There is a graphical representation that you can see on you rear display panel and there is the viewfinder virtual horizon. Is it possible you are just setting the graphical virtual horizon and not the viewfinder virtual horizon? The viewfinder virtual horizon (tilt meter) is discussed on page 231 of the user manual and the graphical live view virtual horizon is discussed on page 245 and 53.

Steve6344

Aventura, US
517 posts

#3. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 17-Dec-12 04:42 PM | edited Mon 17-Dec-12 04:42 PM by Steve6344

Thank you Rassie & MVLow,
Both are useful answers. I was expecting the gtaphical representation I got in LiveView. Now I realize that in the viewfinder I will see the dots as you described. Good to go!

Visit my website.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#4. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 3

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Mon 17-Dec-12 06:14 PM

It would be nice if you could activate the live view virtual horizon with the Fn button. The viewfinder virtual horizon only displays left and right tilt, but the live view virtual horizon also displays front and back tilt.

Rocky

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

#5. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 4

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012
Mon 17-Dec-12 06:50 PM

If you set the live view virtual horizon as the 1st item on your my menu. You can then set the Fn button to activate the top item in my menu which will activate the live view virtual horizon.

Page 231: Press the Fn button to jump to the top item in “MY MENU.” Select this option for quick access to a frequently-used menu item.

Steve6344

Aventura, US
517 posts

#6. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 17-Dec-12 07:38 PM

I tried it and it worked! Amazing. That's a very useful feature. Thanks.

Visit my website.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#7. "RE: Problem Assigning Virtual Horizon to buttons" | In response to Reply # 5

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Mon 17-Dec-12 08:16 PM

Thanks Malcolm!

Rocky

G