Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 exposure meter in A and S modes

yankeegirl57

Long Beach, US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
yankeegirl57 Basic Member
Mon 21-Mar-11 12:45 AM

When shooting in Aperture and Shutter modes, I can no longer see the exposure meter in the viewfinder. I can see aperture & shutter speed but not the meter. I've been using the camera for about a month with no problems until now. I've read the manual and did a search here but am still stumped. I did the custom settings reset but that didn't help. I'm sure it's a simple fix but can't figure it out. Appreciate any help you can give.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#1. "RE: D7000 exposure meter in A and S modes" | In response to Reply # 0

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Mon 21-Mar-11 12:06 AM | edited Mon 21-Mar-11 12:44 AM by JPJ

You will only see the exposure meter in the viewfinder in A or S mode when the camera is unable to set proper exposure. As the camera sets the shutter speed (and possibly ISO if auto ISO is on) in aperture priority mode; or the aperture value (and possibly the ISO if auto ISO is on) in shutter priority mode for proper exposure, an exposure meter is redundant
if it can set proper exposure.

For example if you are shooting indoors in poor lighting and you try setting a very fast shutter speed in S mode, your exposure meter will pop up to tell you that the camera is unable to set a proper exposure and show that it is underexposing, which in turn tells you either to slow down your shutter speed or increase ISO (if that is an option).

In many shooting circumstances, the meter never pops up as the camera is able to set a combination of the aperture/shutter you choose with a aperture/shutter speed and ISO value that sets proper exposure.

In manual mode the meter is always visible...why...because it is manual mode I guess and proper exposure may or may not be your intention.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7075 posts

#2. "RE: D7000 exposure meter in A and S modes" | In response to Reply # 1

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 21-Mar-11 05:33 AM

Assuming that the D7000 works like the other bodies, the exposure meter should also be visible in S and A modes when exposure compensation is turned on (to show you what you dialed in).

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

yankeegirl57

Long Beach, US
21 posts

#3. "RE: D7000 exposure meter in A and S modes" | In response to Reply # 2

yankeegirl57 Basic Member
Mon 21-Mar-11 05:47 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. Very helpful.

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#4. "RE: D7000 exposure meter in A and S modes" | In response to Reply # 2

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Mon 21-Mar-11 10:28 AM

>Assuming that the D7000 works like the other bodies, the
>exposure meter should also be visible in S and A modes when
>exposure compensation is turned on (to show you what you
>dialed in).
>