Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 Sub Command Dial question

harken

US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
harken Registered since 28th Feb 2013
Fri 01-Mar-13 02:20 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum and have a question that I cannot find any answers to online. So here goes:

I own 2 D90s, and both of their sub command dials rotate with a little bit of resistance. Neither is too stiff or too loose (if you know what I mean). They are kind of like 'Goldilocks and the 3 Bears' where one is just right.

With the D7000, the sub command dial is so easy to turn that even if I SLIGHTLY bump it accidentally, it changes my aperture (I use Aperture control as my main shooting method). It's like when Goldilocks finds the one bed too soft. I've tried out 2 D7000s and both were too easy IMHO.

For those who own the D7000, when it was new, was the sub command dial extremely easy to turn? Even when I get a hold of the grip and position my hand to shoot, I'm changing the aperture. I'm hoping that Nikon makes these just right, but it does make me wonder whether it should be like this.

Thank you for any information!

-cinders-

elec164

US
2598 posts

#1. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Fri 01-Mar-13 02:25 PM

I was an early adopter of the D7000 coming up from a D80. I personally don't find the sub-command dial too loose and find the detents and resistance just fine. I don't ever recall accidentally bumping it and changing the aperture.

Having passed the D80 onto the granddaughter, I can't make a comparison with it, but I don't believe it to be much different as I remember it.

Then again I never had issue with the mode dial either that some others felt was too loose and often found it accidentally nudged from what they had it set to.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#2. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Fri 01-Mar-13 02:34 PM

The dials on my D7000 are a little less stiff than on my other Nikon DSLRs. They also have less resistance than those on the MB-D11 grip, which is more like the dials on my other DSLRs. I have experienced the problem of accidentally changing the setting. Not during normal shooting, but when I'm setting the camera down and picking it back up.

So, I think what you're seeing is a design bug. Or is it a feature?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

WD4MLA

Sylva, US
951 posts

#3. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Fri 01-Mar-13 03:02 PM

I am still shooting with my D80 so I cannot help you on the original question, but I also shoot aperture priority and switched my aperture control from the sub-command dial to the command dial on the back of the camera. I don't know if that would help you or not

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

sduck409

Nashville, US
82 posts

#4. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

sduck409 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2013
Fri 01-Mar-13 03:29 PM

On my almost new D7000 (bought it in December) both dials turn with the same amount of resistance. No discernable difference.

kstrongs

St. Thomas, CA
75 posts

#5. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 4

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Fri 01-Mar-13 03:48 PM

Yes, I have had that dial turn during shooting and have missed some shots because of it. Someone on here had a quick fix. I think it had to do with a small piece of heat shrink tubing over the dial.
Just a note, I think the D7100 has a button to lock the mode dial.

harken

US
6 posts

#6. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 01-Mar-13 05:03 PM | edited Fri 01-Mar-13 05:03 PM by harken

I took my D90 into a local camera shop and had the salesperson A/B the sub command dial against a brand new D7000. He was surprised with the difference but said he thought the action of the D7000's sub command dial was 'normal.' My D90 only has @2700 shutter actuations. When I got home, I called Nikon's customer service and asked if any changes were made to that sub command dial, but the rep said 'no.' Hmmm...not sure I like the way the dial works.

MasterDabber

Camberley, UK
3320 posts

#7. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 6

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005
Fri 01-Mar-13 05:39 PM

Mine feels right to me. Both main and sub feel the same and about right.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

harken

US
6 posts

#8. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 02-Mar-13 10:47 AM

One of the suggestions the salesperson made yesterday is to change the control for the aperture (when in aperture priority) to the command button instead of the sub command button. That way it would be on the back of the camera which I don't tend to bump. He said when in Manual mode, the aperture is the command button (on the back) so he makes things consistent by having the command button work the aperture when in Aperture Priority. Has anyone changed their settings to reflect this, and if so, how did/do you like it?

WD4MLA

Sylva, US
951 posts

#9. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 8

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Sat 02-Mar-13 12:49 PM

As I stated in post #3, I have reversed the controls on my D80 and it works fine. Even if I turn my Sub Command dial it doesn't change anything as long as I am on aperture priority.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

rbaley680

Elgin, US
20 posts

#10. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

rbaley680 Registered since 21st Sep 2012
Tue 05-Mar-13 11:58 PM

I just tested both my D90 and D7000 and the D90 subdials do seem to be a little tighter than the D7000 dials. I never really noticed it before and can't make a comment on how they felt when new. The D7000 dials are not so loose to be accidently turned however.

EZRDRZ

UK
60 posts

#11. "RE: D7000 Sub Command Dial question" | In response to Reply # 0

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013
Wed 06-Mar-13 05:03 PM

I find this a strange problem

I'm also using A priority a lot of the time and of course Manual, and my index finger is either on the dial or on the shutter release,and in fact there is a lot of space I find in between the two. It might be worth looking at how your hand is on the camera...definately worth looking into keeping your hand as low as possible and just practice getting a comfortable grip on it.

Regards

G